U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:54 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,319,808 times

Advertisements

Well the job offer in London seems to have gone through and I wish to consider it. Is 56k ok to get by on for a family of 4? Not looking to live anywhere fancy but would need to be safe. I read posts leading me to believe that 45k is not that great in London for a couple. I was wondering how 56k on a single earner income would fare for a family of 4.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 06:16 PM

No one has an answer huh?

Old 09-22-2011, 06:29 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,420,159 times
Pounds or Dollars?

Old 09-22-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Pounds or Dollars?
Sorry Pounds, I thought I mentioned that!

Old 09-22-2011, 07:06 PM

Sorry for the long delay. Yes it is possible, even more possible if you live south rather than north because it is more expensive. It is pushing it though. If you are going there with no debts, no car, and stick to the tube or train for travel you might be able to do it. Where is your job in London?

Old 09-22-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Sorry for the long delay. Yes it is possible, even more possible if you live south rather than north because it is more expensive. It is pushing it though. If you are going there with no debts, no car, and stick to the tube or train for travel you might be able to do it. Where is your job in London?
Thanks and no worries. Job (waiting for some apparent semantics for it to truly be mine) is going to be in the West End. Location is apparently confidential even to me due to it's nature.

I wanted to be on the North End as you may have noticed in my other thread because my family in the UK resides in the Edinburgh area. Maybe that is not even a consideration though because I would be far regardless. Company suggested the South End to me too and also parts of the North End.

I don't mind moving far out and using commuter train or bus. (Doesn't necessarily need to be the tube). From some of the posts I saw, I get the impression that moving outside of London to save money even at the expense of commute time would not save me a thing.

It doesn't work that way in the USA but I guess it is different there. If you pay your dues by commuting 2 hours in each direction and can live with that lifestyle, you will save money.

I don't mind doing that. The goal is to work the job for a while, expand my skillset and education, and then move up closer to family in Edinburgh.

To be honest, the fact that it would be tight on this sum of money scares me. I guess it is just expensive there. If the decision is truly mine as to whether or not to accept this job, I have just hours to choose. I don't want to regret not choosing it but at the same time life just seems far more affordable here. I have 5 cars (most are beaters) a single detached home (poor condition though) and just over .5 acres land.

Still, I don't get paid for any days off here and I am scared of any major medical situation driving me to bankruptcy. Maybe affordability here is just an illusion. Wife is a UK Citizen...don't we also get credits for our kids. (Used to live in Glasgow but forgot how that worked).

I know that wife and I made it in Glasgow when we had just one child on 22k pounds a year...but that was 6-7 yrs ago....and that wasn't London either.

Last edited by va_lucky; 09-22-2011 at 07:54 PM..

Old 09-22-2011, 09:23 PM

22,256 posts, read 25,748,959 times
Yes, definitely. £56k a year is more than enough to survive even in expensive London where the average annual wage (for each person, not an entire household) is around £32,000 (around $50,000)

And really, don't believe the people who say 'no, it is not possible'. Nearly 8 million people live in London and most don't earn £56k a year, though I understand it's for a family of four, I think you'll manage fine.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
Thanks and no worries. Job (waiting for some apparent semantics for it to truly be mine) is going to be in the West End. Location is apparently confidential even to me due to it's nature.

I wanted to be on the North End as you may have noticed in my other thread because my family in the UK resides in the Edinburgh area. Maybe that is not even a consideration though because I would be far regardless. Company suggested the South End to me too and also parts of the North End.

I don't mind moving far out and using commuter train or bus. (Doesn't necessarily need to be the tube). From some of the posts I saw, I get the impression that moving outside of London to save money even at the expense of commute time would not save me a thing.

It doesn't work that way in the USA but I guess it is different there. If you pay your dues by commuting 2 hours in each direction and can live with that lifestyle, you will save money.

I don't mind doing that. The goal is to work the job for a while, expand my skillset and education, and then move up closer to family in Edinburgh.

To be honest, the fact that it would be tight on this sum of money scares me. I guess it is just expensive there. If the decision is truly mine as to whether or not to accept this job, I have just hours to choose. I don't want to regret not choosing it but at the same time life just seems far more affordable here. I have 5 cars (most are beaters) a single detached home (poor condition though) and just over .5 acres land.

Still, I don't get paid for any days off here and I am scared of any major medical situation driving me to bankruptcy. Maybe affordability here is just an illusion. Wife is a UK Citizen...don't we also get credits for our kids. (Used to live in Glasgow but forgot how that worked).

I know that wife and I made it in Glasgow when we had just one child on 22k pounds a year...but that was 6-7 yrs ago....and that wasn't London either.
I lived in the UK for five years and I now reside Stateside. I completely understand about the medical bit as we are going through some medical issues ourselves. I would consider moving back to the UK in a heartbeat. Given there are many things as a US citizen I like such as a sense of community that you do not feel in the UK. But I still love it and funny when the plane flies over London to land at Heathrow I feel like I am coming home.

If Mr. X was given 56K to move back he would in a heartbeat. Yes we own a house here and a nice car but when it comes to medical bills and I must say quality of life such as food (we find the food here to be stodgy, never truly fresh even if you go to Whole Foods), friends and work enviroments I would take the UK high taxes over it any day. Given I worked for the NHS and it needs an overhaul but not on the scale we have seen with health care in America.

You can live it and do it, I would definitely consider it if I was you.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:33 PM

Thanks for all of the insight everyone. So far so good. I have accepted, but it's still up to some other semantics as to whether or not it goes through. Salary has now been negotiated up to 61k in the intermission.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:46 PM

26 posts, read 66,773 times
I've heard childless people say 40k for Edinburgh aint anything, so 56 in Londond witha family of four aint ****, to be blunt. And if you are way out in Croydon/Merton/Enfeild, wherever, what's the point, they are boring suburbs and you may as well be anywhere, you aren't getting a London experience. Better of in Cambridge/Oxford or Brighton and taking a direct train
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London