U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2011, 10:58 PM

3,254 posts, read 5,667,595 times

Advertisements

I was going to London and want to rent a home. Is this a safe decent neighborhood?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 02:10 AM

1,017 posts, read 2,716,079 times
I'm not intimately familiar with it but I haven't heard anything bad about it - I'd say it was fine. It's near Richmond Park and Barnes so I'd say it's a desirable place to live with prices to match. See Property For Rent in SW15 | Rental Properties: UpMyStreet | UpMyStreet (http://www.upmystreet.com/properties/for-rent/search?domain=rent&location=SW15&min=&max=&radius= 0.5&keyword=&sort=1&bedrooms-min=&bedrooms-max=&type - broken link)=
Why Roehampton though ? Have you got a job lined up there ?

Old 10-01-2011, 11:10 AM

95 posts, read 139,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-666 View Post
I'm not intimately familiar with it but I haven't heard anything bad about it - I'd say it was fine. It's near Richmond Park and Barnes so I'd say it's a desirable place to live with prices to match. See Property For Rent in SW15 | Rental Properties: UpMyStreet | UpMyStreet (http://www.upmystreet.com/properties/for-rent/search?domain=rent&location=SW15&min=&max=&radius= 0.5&keyword=&sort=1&bedrooms-min=&bedrooms-max=&type - broken link)=
Why Roehampton though ? Have you got a job lined up there ?
Roehampton isn't bad, but it is certainly a sketchy neighborhood at best. Thee's a big housing estate which dominates the area, which isn't bad compared to some, but it's a place where I would exercise caution, as with any other sketchy area in a big city. It is next to Richmond park though, but it isn't the most convenient place for catching the Tube. Putney Bridge is probably the closest station (District Line), then you'd have to catch a bus from there.

As Bob said: why Roehampton?

Old 10-02-2011, 01:14 PM

145 posts, read 412,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I was going to London and want to rent a home. Is this a safe decent neighborhood?
I live in Putney, which is the neighbouring area to Roehampton and i'd suggest living elsewhere (such as Putney), if you can afford it.

Roehammpton lacks many amenities, has a couple of sketchy estates (although it's not a dangerous area by London standards) and has pretty woeful transport links. You have a few bus routes but for the overground into Waterloo, you need to go to Barnes or Putney and the nearest tube stations are also in Putney, so all are a bus ride away. Roehampton High Street also consists of a depressing pub, a couple of takeaways and i that's about it. Having said that, you will have easy access to Richmond Park, which is lovely.

If you would like anymore info on SW London, let me know as i've lived here a number of years and love it.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:49 PM

3,254 posts, read 5,667,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris82 View Post
I live in Putney, which is the neighbouring area to Roehampton and i'd suggest living elsewhere (such as Putney), if you can afford it.

Roehammpton lacks many amenities, has a couple of sketchy estates (although it's not a dangerous area by London standards) and has pretty woeful transport links. You have a few bus routes but for the overground into Waterloo, you need to go to Barnes or Putney and the nearest tube stations are also in Putney, so all are a bus ride away. Roehampton High Street also consists of a depressing pub, a couple of takeaways and i that's about it. Having said that, you will have easy access to Richmond Park, which is lovely.

If you would like anymore info on SW London, let me know as i've lived here a number of years and love it.
Thank you. So you suggest Putney instead? He would be working from home so commuting isn't an issue. Mainly our concern is that we have kids and although it may only be for a year, they obviously would attend locally. We have family working in Vienna and we thought it might be nice to travel a bit. Any other nice areas for families in London?

Old 10-03-2011, 12:56 AM

1,017 posts, read 2,716,079 times
Sounds like Putney is indeed a better choice than Roehampton. There are many nice areas, especially by the river - depends on your budget. Do you have EU citizenship ? If not it's not so simple ...

Old 10-04-2011, 03:58 PM

145 posts, read 412,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Thank you. So you suggest Putney instead? He would be working from home so commuting isn't an issue. Mainly our concern is that we have kids and although it may only be for a year, they obviously would attend locally. We have family working in Vienna and we thought it might be nice to travel a bit. Any other nice areas for families in London?
Putney's a great area. Close to a lot of green space, good transport links and a lot of local amenities (we have a good shopping centre here for example and several nice restaurants). However, it's not a cheap place and if you're close to the river, it'll cost even more.

I'm afraid i don't have kids so i couldn't tell you what the schools are like but i can't imagine they're too bad. Other areas in SW London that are really nice for families (although pricey) are Kew and Barnes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London