U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-18-2012, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
431 posts, read 1,077,317 times
Reputation: 143

Advertisements

My Mom and I will be visiting England this summer. She has a friend that we will be staying with in Basingstoke. We're just trying to figure out the best way to get from Heathrow to Basingstoke. I know we could take the train from Waterloo station, but we would have to either take a taxi to waterloo, or go through other stations first. Would it be ridiculous to take a taxi or hire a private minicab to go all the way to Basingstoke? We will have quite a bit of luggage (I over pack) and don't want to be stuck dragging it all over the city. Any help would be much appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2012, 05:05 PM
 
Location: SW France
15,225 posts, read 15,798,817 times
Reputation: 28523
I've just done a quick search on the National Express coach site , but no joy.

The two places are not far apart, and going into London to get a train is to almost double the journey distance.

I'll put my thinking cap on.


Edit- found this, which says that you can get a train connection from Woking to Basingstoke;

http://heathrow.airport-information....ions-rail.html

And this shows coach connections;

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/...d_transfer.htm

Last edited by Jezer; 02-18-2012 at 05:14 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
431 posts, read 1,077,317 times
Reputation: 143
Thank you so much Jezer. I do appreciate it. It sounds like the train to and from Woking will be perfect.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Purgatory
2,663 posts, read 5,015,929 times
Reputation: 3073
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean330 View Post
My Mom and I will be visiting England this summer. She has a friend that we will be staying with in Basingstoke. We're just trying to figure out the best way to get from Heathrow to Basingstoke. I know we could take the train from Waterloo station, but we would have to either take a taxi to waterloo, or go through other stations first. Would it be ridiculous to take a taxi or hire a private minicab to go all the way to Basingstoke? We will have quite a bit of luggage (I over pack) and don't want to be stuck dragging it all over the city. Any help would be much appreciated!
If you have a lot of luggage, I wouldn't take the train. I've done it before and it's a pain in the arse lugging that across London's Tube & rail. You would basically have to take the Piccadilly express tube line and change lines at least once in central London, then get an outbound train to Basingstoke.

A taxi will cost you around £60-£70 one way. It's probably a 45 minute drive depending on traffic.

Best best is to go via coach. Use National Express:

http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach...ffiliatewindow

I believe the route number is 203 to Portsmouth. The coaches are relatively frequent, but you would need to check the timetable online.

Can your friend not pick you up?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Purgatory
2,663 posts, read 5,015,929 times
Reputation: 3073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I've just done a quick search on the National Express coach site , but no joy.

The two places are not far apart, and going into London to get a train is to almost double the journey distance.

I'll put my thinking cap on.


Edit- found this, which says that you can get a train connection from Woking to Basingstoke;

Heathrow Airport Rail and Railair Coach Directions

And this shows coach connections;

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/...d_transfer.htm
I've always used National Express when I've gone to & from the UK (if I had no one to pick me up). They operate throughout the night and it saves the hassle of having to lug heavy luggage across platforms, down escalators and all that jazz.

Avoiding London and changing just once at Woking may not be a bad option either, but it depends when the OP is landing. Most flights from North America arrive quite early in the morning. I would want to avoid trains during rush hour if I'm carrying a lot of luggage.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
431 posts, read 1,077,317 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I've always used National Express when I've gone to & from the UK (if I had no one to pick me up). They operate throughout the night and it saves the hassle of having to lug heavy luggage across platforms, down escalators and all that jazz.

Avoiding London and changing just once at Woking may not be a bad option either, but it depends when the OP is landing. Most flights from North America arrive quite early in the morning. I would want to avoid trains during rush hour if I'm carrying a lot of luggage.
The flight we're considering would be getting in around noon. So no super early flight in. I looked into National Express, but it doesn't seem to go to Basingstoke.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:59 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top