U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 11,301 times

Advertisements

Hello Everybody

Our family of four, my husband, me and two kids 3 and 5 with the four pets: dog (golden retriever) and three cats considering/thinking to move to London...

My husband got a proposition to move to London, UK, he received an offer for 62.5K-65K pounds per year. It's only him who will be working, while I have to study first I assume (I'm an accountant) to find a job.

We are planing to rent an apartment near his office in the Twickenham and probably safe on the transportation, or rent a little bit far and pay for the public transportation about 200 pounds per month.

The 62.5K-65K pounds per year will be comfortable to live in London for the family with two kids?
How easy to find the school for the kids?
Probably you know who much could cost us the insurance for all pets? It's necessary to have?

Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 01:01 AM

4,663 posts, read 7,672,235 times
Twickenham isnt really in the city and is slightly cheaper than central London. It's still pricey though - expect to pay at least £1200 per month for a 2 bed apt, probably more. You can certainly do it but it won't be comfortable on that income alone.

Just remember that British landlords require 6 weeks rent as a deposit plus a months rent in advance, so £1800 plus the £1200 for this example. Twickenham is a cool place to be though - close to London, parks, the river, pubs, restaurants and the stadium!

Old 04-13-2012, 04:51 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,525,333 times
Pet insurance will depend on the pets breed, ages, health (possibly gender as well). I don't buy it. I take my cats to a clinic which has reasonably priced vet care instead and the vets drive Vauxhalls not Mercedes . Low cost affordable vets across the UK - Easipetcare | Easipetcare

If you want to check out pet insurance cost and plans, go here:Pet Insurance - Compare Pet Insurance Quotes | Compare The Market

Old 04-16-2012, 04:33 AM

74 posts, read 277,090 times
That sounds really low to me.
I know single friends- no kids and no pets- who make more than that in London.
But maybe....

Old 04-16-2012, 06:44 AM

5,655 posts, read 4,635,560 times
On 62-63k you will be comfortable.

My wife, i and 2 kids lived in Feltham (don't live there, it's horrible) not far from Twickenham with an income of around that a few years ago. We were able to go into London regularly and travel around the Home Counties and do the usual holidays abroad and a nice car on that income.

Pet insurance is a good idea but no different to anywhere really but it isn't compulsory. The Twickenham area has quite a few schools and you shouldn't have problems getting a place in at least one of them.

I'd allow £1400 - £1500 for rent and try and stay in the Twickenham area so what you save on travel you can spend on the accommodation

Houses to rent in Twickenham, Middlesex

Old 05-02-2012, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 11,301 times
Hello everybody,

Then you for all your answers!

We decided to stay in Canada The key point to move was the schools for kids, bu apparently there are some issues in UK (difficult to find the good school) and moving with all our pets will be like an End of the World

So, thanks one more time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London