Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:50 PM

271 posts, read 1,667,833 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I'm an American citizen currently living in New York. I'll be traveling to London for the first time next month. I'll be in Londontown for the entire last week of March.

I'm in the process of trying to find lodging for my trip. So far, I've concentrated my search in places like Wembley Park, Hyde Park, Docklands, and Earl's Court. I've discovered that almost all of the hotels in London are considerably expensive.

Just to narrow things down, I have one question-

What are the best areas to find a hotel in London?

Other than the main tourist sights, I'm not too familiar with London. So I don't know any of the not-so-good spots in the city.

So I was hoping if any Brits here could advise me on where I should stay during my trip to Londontown.

And if anyone has any hotel recommendations, please let me know as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 09:23 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,486,337 times
I think it would help if you gave a few clues as to what you want to see and do while in London, and the minimum standard you expect from a hotel. Hotels in London are expensive and the rooms are often very small and cramped by US standards. I have family and friends in the UK, so whenever I visit, I'm usually only spending a night or two in London hotels, so am quite happy to opt for cheap and cheerful (okay, not cheap and also not particularly cheerful). Those sorts of places are usually found clustered around the main railway stations - ie Victoria, St.Pancras etc.

There are also a lot of hotels (of varying standard) clustered around Marble Arch underground station - which I find very convenient for Oxford Street shopping, Hyde Park, Buckingham Palace and so on. If you plan on doing the standard London sightseeing thing, I suggest you start looking at hotels in and around Great Cumberland Street.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:40 PM

Just to let you know, I intend on seeing the following sights:

Central London (London Eye, Buckingham Palace, Tower Bridge, Big Ben, etc.)
Wembley Stadium
Twickenham Stadium
Wimbledon
O2 Arena
Emirates Stadium
Leicester Square
Earl's Court
Hyde Park
Olympic Park

As you can tell, I'll be using the Tube quite a lot.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:07 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,564,830 times
If you can get a good deal I would stay in Earls Court. Good for the district line to most of the places you will be visiting... and not too far out of the west end if you go out for dinner / shopping...

Old 02-07-2011, 06:29 PM

410 posts, read 949,368 times
Russell Square and Tavistock Square, which are just to the south of Euston station, come to mind as having several large low-cost hotels (obviously cost is relative...), and being very central. Waterloo also has various budget hotels and guest houses, as well as hostels, if you're up for that.

Since you plan to take in sights across the city, I would avoid staying anywhere too far out in any direction - eg, Wembly park is about 10 miles from central London.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:10 AM

5 posts, read 42,302 times
It's also pretty nice to stay somewhere relatively quiet and leafy like Hampstead or Highgate, and then just get the tube in to the centre (only takes about 10 minutes). I use [url=http://www.tubehotels.com]London hotels | Hotel near London train and tube stations[/url] to pick a central tube station and then see what the best hotels are in the area. It's pretty useful.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:05 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
I am also an American that will be going to London from 18-26 March. I have been to London many times and have stayed in different locations. This time, I am staying at Eurotraveller Hotel, London. three and four star hotels near central London. I will be staying at Elephant & Castle which seems to be a student area behind the Tate Modern. The prices are reasonable, however, unlike many bed & breakfasts, they do not include the price of breakfast in the room. I plan to buy stuff and eat in the room. This location is centrally located but out of the congestion zone. There are others that are near there that are similar. I have also stayed on the other side of London near to the British library. That was a little further out, but, still quite nice. If you stay within the congestion zone, it will be much more expensive. For a little travel time (either walking or riding) you will save some money.

I would also recommend getting an Oyster card for visitors. VisitBritain.com It will make your tube travels a bit cheaper, too.

Hope that you enjoy your first trip across the pond!

Old 02-12-2011, 07:46 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,369 times
Premier Inn County Hall, right next to the London Eye. You could walk to everything in central London on your list. Very nice for a discount hotel. There is an Italian restaurant across the street that is good and reasonable.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:24 AM

410 posts, read 949,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I am also an American that will be going to London from 18-26 March. I have been to London many times and have stayed in different locations. This time, I am staying at Eurotraveller Hotel, London. three and four star hotels near central London. I will be staying at Elephant & Castle which seems to be a student area behind the Tate Modern. The prices are reasonable, however, unlike many bed & breakfasts, they do not include the price of breakfast in the room. I plan to buy stuff and eat in the room. This location is centrally located but out of the congestion zone. There are others that are near there that are similar. I have also stayed on the other side of London near to the British library. That was a little further out, but, still quite nice. If you stay within the congestion zone, it will be much more expensive. For a little travel time (either walking or riding) you will save some money.

I would also recommend getting an Oyster card for visitors. VisitBritain.com It will make your tube travels a bit cheaper, too.

Hope that you enjoy your first trip across the pond!
This is good advice; Elephant and Castle is not a pretty area by any standard, and to call it 'behind Tate Modern' is a stretch, but it is real london for sure, and well located with good transport links.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
If you stay within the congestion zone, it will be much more expensive.

Hey there. I'm the OP.

Where is the congestion zone?

And can't I buy a Travelcard instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London