U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2012, 03:15 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,248,701 times

Advertisements

I'm travelling with my wife from Houston to the Middle East and we got a great deal on plane tickets but they came with a VERRRRRRRRY long Heathrow Layover - like 12 hours. We got a cheap hotel room (no jokes from the gallery) next to the airport to hang out more comfortably but then I got the great idea that we could maybe see Windsor Castle and come back in time. Don't want to rent a car and deal with that terrifying driving on the wrong side of the road. The distances and my past experience with London Taxi Cab rates scares me about just taking a cab. Anybody know of any tour operators that would take us to Windsor , wait a few hours, maybe show us a few more scenic or historic sights on the way back? Don't seem to obvious on the internet searching - all I could find had busses or 15+ vans and wanted at dozen or so head minimum.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 09:08 AM

15,152 posts, read 15,631,959 times
Try emailing the hotel to ask.

Hope it goes well.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:40 PM

4,308 posts, read 12,663,535 times
Did you trying Google? Cause I did and got: Windsor From Heathrow Airport Via Public Bus and http://www.windsordaytours.co.uk/htm..._layovers.html and Stopover Tours in Heathrow Airport in London | eHow.com

Old 05-07-2012, 02:43 PM

4,663 posts, read 7,826,751 times
I used to live in Windsor. It's 20 minutes from heathrow. Call 5 star (google them) or Windsor cabs. They will charge around £16 each way. There is nothing on the way but you can see the castle, then wander over to Eton to see the college. If you have time you can visit the long walk which starts at the entrance to the castle. If you want any more info about Windsor just me me know..

Old 05-12-2012, 10:29 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,248,701 times
Thanks for the input. I didn't realize that it's that close and the cab ride that cheap. Sounds like a cab ride is easy.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:07 PM

4,663 posts, read 7,826,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
Thanks for the input. I didn't realize that it's that close and the cab ride that cheap. Sounds like a cab ride is easy.
It's incredibly straight forward. Program the taxi numbers into your phone before you leave, call them when yiu've almost cleared security and they will be there waiting when you come out.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:00 AM

79 posts, read 255,977 times
Usually I would say, hop on a bus, but in this case it takes an age and costs much the same (for 2) as a mini-cab (pre-booked taxi)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London