U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 06:10 PM

4 posts, read 13,381 times

Advertisements

I am sorry if this has been discussed before....My roommate and I are planning to move to the UK sometime in the summer, or some time thereafter. We are likely going to move to London or somewhere near there, and I was wondering what neighborhoods in London are safest, or which areas outside of London are reasonably priced and safe? I know how expensive it is so I wanted to start preparing myself now!
Rate this post positively

Old 01-16-2008, 08:36 PM

12 posts, read 33,359 times
Hi, Kelli,
I am a Brit and a Londonner but someone who now lives outside so my guide can only be generalist in nature.. Where I would go...
In Central London, Kensington is good but can be a bit pricey. Wandsworth;putney Fulham, Wimbledon still London - might get a reasonable place and quite leafy. Places to look at would be West and South West London. On a map -anywhere between Chiswick and Kingston On Thames is pretty much OK. For choice Kingston, Richmond, Barnes,Twickenham. All safe and solid; all on the river. Good outside commuting Towns - Woking, Windsor,
Guildford. Safe affordable, commutable.
Hope that helps
Yrs Aye

Old 01-16-2008, 08:41 PM

3,367 posts, read 10,389,328 times
Try Brighton, it's only 45 mins by train to London and it's soooo much nicer, just as much nightlife, art, culture, food etc going on without the frantic bustle of London, and cheaper too!

They call it 'London-by-the-sea' !!

Old 07-04-2009, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 9,157 times
Default Commuting to Work in London

Can anyone estimate the lenth of time it would normally take to commute from Knightsbridge to Fleet Street during normal working hours (8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.) and how many tube changes there would be? I lived in London many years ago, and absolutely loved it, but this time, my job would be on Fleet Street, and I don't intend to live that far into the city. I'm concerned about the daily commute, and don't want this to be a real drag on my experience there. I now live in Houston, Texas and get in my car and drive 10 minutes to work, but I would glady trade this for the international flavor of London and desperately want to return. Thank you.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:41 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,716,993 times
Start here: Home | Transport for London

Old 07-05-2009, 09:34 AM

190 posts, read 585,617 times
Pretty much anywhere in the West End is going to be lovely, but a bit pricey. It all depends on your budget. I lived by Great Portland Street, just south of Regent's Park and loved it. I wouldn't stray too much past the south bank when looking for a flat. I don't know much about living in the City, but I would assume it's a little cheaper than anything to the west. Probably best to avoid living right around Parliament/Trafalgar Square, etc. unless you like really heavy crowds and constant noise.

You should also check out Camden. It's just north of London and feels like it's own little town, and has a very distinctive feel- lots of restaurants, markets, nice stores, and plenty of interesting people! And I agree that Brighton is fun as well. I'm speaking from a young adult perspective, so I really enjoy the nightlife and outside markets and such. If you like the same, you might want to look into it.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:14 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,856,204 times
The problem is, we don't know your price range. I formerly lived in Hampstead (NW3), which is a lovely, safe and rather pricey "village" within relatively close-in north London. Many Americans make their home there and in nearby Belsize Park (both within the Borough of Camden).

Although C-D forums doesn't allow one to recommend estate agents -- and I'm not doing that -- a very good website for shopping areas and prices in London is the Foxtons website. It's very user-friendly and you can get an idea of what's out there. Again, this is not a recommendation for Foxtons one way or the other. I'd just suggest googling their website, putting in your price range and minimal specifications and looking in different areas -- W1, NW1, NW5, NW3, NW6, NW8, W2 would all be good, though in many cases will be relatively pricey. You might also look in NW11, but a problem there is that many properties, especially in Hampstead Garden Suburb, are way off easy public transport. NW5 will also yield some cheaper flats. These are, of course, just a few post codes and there are many, many other very acceptable areas. You might note that The City of Westminster has the lowest council tax rates and this can represent a significant factor, especially if you can locate cheaper accomodation within W1 or W2. You will have to pay the council tax yourself, so don't ignore that.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:16 PM

2,325 posts, read 6,592,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Try Brighton, it's only 45 mins by train to London and it's soooo much nicer, just as much nightlife, art, culture, food etc going on without the frantic bustle of London, and cheaper too!

They call it 'London-by-the-sea' !!
Brighton is the most graffiti and pan handler infested English city I visited when living in London. Very depressing to see natives just shrug their shoulders at such deterioration. Turning hotels on the ocean into council houses was the last straw. Squatters moved in before the people on the dole, what a mess.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:36 AM

1,288 posts, read 3,065,709 times
These websites should give a good insight into rental prices:

UK's number one property website for properties for sale and to rent

Homes, property for sale | Property to rent | House prices - Globrix property search

Then check out a tube map for areas with good transport links. The Northern, Victoria, and Piccadilly lines will give a good range of north London neighbourhoods ranging from trendy (Camden), to a bit rough (Caledonian Road), to suburban (anywhere near the end of the lines), and every possibility in between. Then there are east and west London, but not many will recommend south of the river.

Edit. Just noticed how old this discussion is!

Old 07-30-2009, 03:45 PM

7,079 posts, read 35,829,360 times
Do you actually have a job there? Are you being transferred? Because you can't just pick up and move to the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.