U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 06:52 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,050,671 times

Advertisements

I imagine how it was in the Industrial Revolution in London and other UK cities where the working class often lived in row houses near factories. I know a lot of these factories are long gone but I was wondering do these row house working class neighborhoods still remain in London? If so, where?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 10:17 AM

1,288 posts, read 3,148,096 times
Anything in central London not bombed by the Luftwaffe or demolished by 1960s urban planners is likely to have been gentrified. I'm sure they still exist when owned by social housing providers, although the demographics will have changed. The people you seek moved out to the home counties.

Terraced Houses For Sale in Chatham, Kent - Rightmove

30 miles further out you will find areas like this. Up until the dockyard closed in the 1980s this area would have been working class. It remained popular with first time buyers and those priced out of London. More recently landlords and immigrants have moved in, creating a more transient population.

Old 12-26-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
Anything in central London not bombed by the Luftwaffe or demolished by 1960s urban planners is likely to have been gentrified. I'm sure they still exist when owned by social housing providers, although the demographics will have changed. The people you seek moved out to the home counties.

Terraced Houses For Sale in Chatham, Kent - Rightmove

30 miles further out you will find areas like this. Up until the dockyard closed in the 1980s this area would have been working class. It remained popular with first time buyers and those priced out of London. More recently landlords and immigrants have moved in, creating a more transient population.
Thanks for the info. So would you say Hackney, Lambeth, Southwark, and Camden Town are very gentrified ? I know Brixton still is the center of Afro Caribbean. Or is it like gentrifying areas in NYC where you have a rapid influx of white professionals and nonwhites, many who are lower income?

Old 12-26-2017, 09:21 PM

3,976 posts, read 2,689,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Thanks for the info. So would you say Hackney, Lambeth, Southwark, and Camden Town are very gentrified ? I know Brixton still is the center of Afro Caribbean. Or is it like gentrifying areas in NYC where you have a rapid influx of white professionals and nonwhites, many who are lower income?
No row houses in London anymore, practically all of London is gentrified. Even Brixton now is almost completely gentrified; Sports Direct has bought an entire block of central Brixton and the Brixton village market has been sold off too. God knows what they're going to do with it but the heart of Brixton is being ripped out right before my eyes.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:49 PM

7,176 posts, read 6,559,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
. I'm sure they still exist when owned by social housing providers, although the demographics will have changed. The people you seek moved out to the home counties.

When you say "social housing", would that be the same thing as "low income housing" or "housing projects" here in North America? Many of them here are also row houses.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:24 PM

Low income housing estates in London are often the post-war concrete blocks, similar to Grenfell Tower which recently burned down. They used to be awarded on a points system based on need, although these days tenants bid on available properties, after needs are assessed.

There is plenty of terraced housing left in London, but the demographics have changed. Many were torn down in the 1960s in favour of concrete. Long after many concrete towers have been demolished, Victorian houses once considered slums can sell for millions.

As has been the case throughout history, despite regeneration, rich and poor Londoners often live in very close proximity. Worth looking up Charles Booth's London poverty maps from the Victorian era. Amazing the history you can find with a little digging.

https://booth.lse.ac.uk/map/16/-0.1098/51.5522/100/1

I used to live in Islington and zoomed into Queensland Road, one of many slums marked in black. Turns out it is next to the site of the recently built Arsenal Stadium, the area was a rubbish dump for many years and reading the comments under the blog below, many people remember the area before it was demolished.

https://angryofislington.com/2012/12...hburton-grove/

There must be countless similar stories for London areas once marked as black slums. Looking on Rightmove, Queensland Road is now modern apartment blocks, probably built at the same time as the stadium. £550,000 for a one bed flat. Click on this property's map and street view; those slum dwellers would have been amazed.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-69119027.html

Last edited by Hengist; 12-26-2017 at 11:42 PM..

Old 12-27-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
No row houses in London anymore, practically all of London is gentrified. Even Brixton now is almost completely gentrified; Sports Direct has bought an entire block of central Brixton and the Brixton village market has been sold off too. God knows what they're going to do with it but the heart of Brixton is being ripped out right before my eyes.
So the Afro Caribbean culture of Brixton Market will cease to exist? I'm glad I took pictures of it when I got the chance.

It's such a shame you saw people of different ethnic groups there. I saw an East Asian in a Jamaican restaurant, plenty of whites, and even a Colombian restaurant.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:55 AM

19,410 posts, read 7,798,949 times
There are still a lot of terraced houses and town houses, they have just become ever more expensive due to gentrification.

As for Brixton Market and Village is Grade II listed, and I suspect Ashley wants to see the markets become more like Borough Market and Leadenhall Market which have become increasingly upmarket.

The area around Camden Market is also being increasingly gentrifed as Billionaire property developers and supermarkets buy up property.

Uncool Camden: will redevelopment ruin London's legendary market - Guardian

Controversial redevelopment plans for Morrisons - On The Hill

Old 12-27-2017, 07:55 AM

10,937 posts, read 10,542,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Tottenham...far from it.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:50 AM

I remember seeing many terraced houses with front doors to the road when visiting a pub off White Hart Lane on the way to a football match in Tottenham. Can't remember exactly where to give you an address to Google. But it felt like going back in time.

I seem to remember when the nail bomber David Copeland arrived in Brixton market, his first thought was to wonder where the black people were. I know a young professional couple who have moved into the area. You can't be that affordable on a tube line close to central London without some gentrification pressure. But then I also have white family who were in Brixton before mass immigration. These things go in cycles. Nobody owns an area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London