Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2018, 06:54 PM

937 posts, read 743,177 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I'd like to take a trip in the fall with my teens to London and stay in a quiet area with lots of beautiful trees, parks, residential areas, and a few sights here and there to visit. I was thinking maybe Kensington would be nice. Our big touristy outing could be to go see Kensington Palace and local museums. I don't want to run around all over London, but just want to settle into a hotel and stay mostly in one quiet, safe, more residential area, and check out a few sights that are close-by. I'd like to get to know one neighborhood over the few days we are there versus running all over the place trying to see all the touristy sights. I'd like to just relax, go on walks, picnic in little parks, shop a little, relax at the hotel, and eat out in some close by restaurants. We like a little nightlife that has some energy as well for a Friday or Saturday night but nothing too crazy as it's just me and my teens. We like a quieter more low key, residential area versus a super touristy, busy place.

Kensington? Would this be a good place to settle into for a relaxing, calm five day trip?

Thanks in advance for any ideas and input!

Last edited by Chloe333; 07-22-2018 at 07:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 08:35 PM

839 posts, read 734,397 times
Kensington, Chelsea, Belgravia, Knightsbridge, even Pimlico would fit the bill, although Kensington would be most preferable. There are other non-touristy areas outside central London that matches your description (Hampstead, Richmond, Fulham, etc) but it may be a bit of a commute to see the sights in central London.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
Kensington, Chelsea, Belgravia, Knightsbridge, even Pimlico would fit the bill, although Kensington would be most preferable. There are other non-touristy areas outside central London that matches your description (Hampstead, Richmond, Fulham, etc) but it may be a bit of a commute to see the sights in central London.
Oh okay, yes Kensington sounds good. I've been watching little clips on youtube and the parts I am seeing look quiet, safe, and residential. Thank you We love just walking through parks with mature, lush trees and greenery and I think there should be plenty of that there.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:38 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,618 times
It's funny how Americans (I'll jump the gun, and guess that the OP is American) always ask about safety. While London certainly does have its violent crime problems, it's really, very much seeing things through a domestic US prism. A la 'is the neighborhood safe?'

Old 07-23-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
It's funny how Americans (I'll jump the gun, and guess that the OP is American) always ask about safety. While London certainly does have its violent crime problems, it's really, very much seeing things through a domestic US prism. A la 'is the neighborhood safe?'
Yes I am American but my own experience here in the US hasn't really been that I have to think about safety much. It's not like we are living in a war zone over here and that every other town is very dangerous with shootings happening all over the place. It happens here, but there are many numerous places where it is not happening. You see things happening here on the news but this is a gigantic country and so the reality is that day to day life here for many is very 'safe.' Of course all of our cities have 'rougher' areas and 'more safe' areas just like most cities around the world. Some places are more safe than others obviously. I would think that's a perfectly reasonable comment for a traveler to make going to any major city they aren't too familiar with. I'm sure London has plenty of relatively safe areas, but also areas where you would want to avoid or to take some precautions. Most cities are like that.

Last edited by Chloe333; 07-23-2018 at 05:20 PM..

Old 07-23-2018, 05:46 PM

6,036 posts, read 5,942,776 times
London is safe for the most part. Kensington very much so. I lived there for a number of years, although not quite the vibe it once had, still a fine area. Don't forget to visit Holland Park off High Street Kensington. My favourite park and don't be scared to walk in the wooded area at the back. You'll find the Japanese Garden and exit into the suburb of Holland Park, a very well to area. From there Notting Hill Gate is very close and a little further the vibe of Queensway .......Hyde Park and walk to oxford Street via Marble Arch.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
London is safe for the most part. Kensington very much so. I lived there for a number of years, although not quite the vibe it once had, still a fine area. Don't forget to visit Holland Park off High Street Kensington. My favourite park and don't be scared to walk in the wooded area at the back. You'll find the Japanese Garden and exit into the suburb of Holland Park, a very well to area. From there Notting Hill Gate is very close and a little further the vibe of Queensway .......Hyde Park and walk to oxford Street via Marble Arch.
Googled Holland Park...beautiful. I'll have to take a look at the others but it all sounds right up our alley with lots of parks and gardens around the area. You have got the most gorgeous, green, lush terrain over there in Britain! Thanks for the recommendations!

Old 07-26-2018, 08:29 PM

436 posts, read 578,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
Hello All,

I'd like to take a trip in the fall with my teens to London and stay in a quiet area with lots of beautiful trees, parks, residential areas, and a few sights here and there to visit. I was thinking maybe Kensington would be nice. Our big touristy outing could be to go see Kensington Palace and local museums. I don't want to run around all over London, but just want to settle into a hotel and stay mostly in one quiet, safe, more residential area, and check out a few sights that are close-by. I'd like to get to know one neighborhood over the few days we are there versus running all over the place trying to see all the touristy sights. I'd like to just relax, go on walks, picnic in little parks, shop a little, relax at the hotel, and eat out in some close by restaurants. We like a little nightlife that has some energy as well for a Friday or Saturday night but nothing too crazy as it's just me and my teens. We like a quieter more low key, residential area versus a super touristy, busy place.

Kensington? Would this be a good place to settle into for a relaxing, calm five day trip?

Thanks in advance for any ideas and input!
I have been going to London for years and I almost exclusively stay in Kensington close to the Gloucester Road tube station. I happened upon Kensington because of a great corporate discount at a hotel in that area and knowing nothing about London at the time I stayed there. During other trips I stayed in various parts of London and found myself always drawn back to Kensington because of exactly what you described. It is less touristy, there are enough parks, shops, restaurants and attractions nearby and with easy Tube and bus stops close by you can get anywhere outside of Kensington you want to explore.

Don't rule out doing touristy things completely though, if it is your first trip to London do the hop on hop off bus tour for a few hours for a great bird's eye view of London.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTexanTea View Post
I have been going to London for years and I almost exclusively stay in Kensington close to the Gloucester Road tube station. I happened upon Kensington because of a great corporate discount at a hotel in that area and knowing nothing about London at the time I stayed there. During other trips I stayed in various parts of London and found myself always drawn back to Kensington because of exactly what you described. It is less touristy, there are enough parks, shops, restaurants and attractions nearby and with easy Tube and bus stops close by you can get anywhere outside of Kensington you want to explore.

Don't rule out doing touristy things completely though, if it is your first trip to London do the hop on hop off bus tour for a few hours for a great bird's eye view of London.
I love those double decker bus tours. Those are always relaxing and enjoyable. I'll add it to the list! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London