Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 03:02 PM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times

Advertisements

London is currently going to vastly improve the lighting of it's bridges and the Thames.

At the moment the lighting is only on some bridges and doesn't have the latest LED Technology, however this is about to change.

Illuminated River

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 06:52 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,711,443 times
My mother and grandparents were born in England, and I've been visiting London almost annually since I was a kid in the late 70s. I used to hate how backwards, depressing and grimy it was around 1980, and it felt way way behind what I was used to in America. It felt like it was all past/no future. I remember my grandmother asking me favorite part of London, and I told her the Piccadilly Line to Heathrow, because it meant I was going home.

But it's been continuous improvement ever since. By the late 80s as a teenager, I noticed it was looking much cleaner and started to feel more dynamic. The wooden escalators and run down tube cars were being replaced, buildings around Hyde Park and South Kensington looked like they had been power washed. And you could plan trips because the country stopped going on strike every five minutes.

I was recently at the Greenwich Observatory and couldn't believe the view of the skyline across the Thames around the Docklands. I remember standing there as a kid and looking across at nothing but industrial waste. London for me is now like New York, I never run out of things to do, and look forward to every trip.

Old 09-22-2019, 03:50 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
London in a few years was a city of bankers, earning big lucre, displacing us pheasants.
You poor pheasants.

I suggest relocating to Windsor where I hear the Queen has a great fondness for the pheasants. She's very fond of pheasant indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London