Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2021, 01:06 PM

3 posts, read 6,860 times

Advertisements

I visited London in June 2016 after graduating High School. I'm from a Upper-Middle class family in Vancouver BC. While in London where my aunt and uncle live my aunt decided to spend a load of money book me a VIP ticket for a once in a life time experience at the Jako Nightclub in Kensington. When I was there I found that the people there were quite cold towards me and didn't let me into their cliques. They would engage in brief conversation with me but were generally rude and disinterested.

I do admit that I was dressed in just a basic T shirt and Gym shorts with a baseball cap on. I'm 5'4 with Jet black hair and a medium olive complexion. I do recall being at a booth where I was tricked by a few young women in their mid 20's who felt sorry for me. I was allowed to sit at their booth while they were talking to their other guy friends the whole time while ignoring me. I felt completely unwelcome at the nightclub and that it was like I was an alien. All people there wanted to do was show off their expensive purses and jewelry. Maybe it was the way I was dressed?

Anyway to the people that live in London what are your thoughts on the area of Kensington in West-Central London. My aunt and uncle live in Ealing London just 7 miles away which I found to be a much friendlier and more welcoming area as a tourist.

Old 05-14-2021, 01:31 PM

27,157 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianAussie View Post
I visited London in June 2016 after graduating High School. I'm from a Upper-Middle class family in Vancouver BC. While in London where my aunt and uncle live my aunt decided to spend a load of money book me a VIP ticket for a once in a life time experience at the Jako Nightclub in Kensington. When I was there I found that the people there were quite cold towards me and didn't let me into their cliques. They would engage in brief conversation with me but were generally rude and disinterested.

I do admit that I was dressed in just a basic T shirt and Gym shorts with a baseball cap on. I'm 5'4 with Jet black hair and a medium olive complexion. I do recall being at a booth where I was tricked by a few young women in their mid 20's who felt sorry for me. I was allowed to sit at their booth while they were talking to their other guy friends the whole time while ignoring me. I felt completely unwelcome at the nightclub and that it was like I was an alien. All people there wanted to do was show off their expensive purses and jewelry. Maybe it was the way I was dressed?

Anyway to the people that live in London what are your thoughts on the area of Kensington in West-Central London. My aunt and uncle live in Ealing London just 7 miles away which I found to be a much friendlier and more welcoming area as a tourist.
Just sounds like you had a bad experience at some snobby nightclub, which also does fine dining according to the website.

You can find snobby places like that in most cities and tbh London has it's fair share including a lot of members only clubs for the very wealthy and celebrities.

There are a lot of very wealthy people in cities like London, just as there are in NYC, and some of them will look down on other people, although this says more about them than it does you.

Also were you alone, because drinking alone will make you look like a bit of a loser, and should be avoided if at all possible, and a T-Shirt, Gym shorts and a baseball cap, is not going to help you to ingratiate yourself with these type of individuals.

Next time meet up with friends and go somewhere like the South Bank or find a decent reasonable priced restaurant or pub somewhere.

Old 05-14-2021, 10:20 PM

3 posts, read 6,860 times
Default Why are people in Kensington so Snobbish

Um I did have a positive interaction. The 2 women I sat next to at the booth were nice but kept touching my thick hair and trying to cuddle with me. I often get unwanted attention from women who like my boyish good looks and green eyes. I was staying with my aunt and uncle and didn't know anyone else in London much less the nightclub. Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:18 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,272,923 times
Quote:

Interesting.

You visited a club in 2016 that didn't open until 2018. That has a dress code of no sportswear, but you explicitly describe wearing sportswear.

Yeah...

Old 05-14-2021, 11:51 PM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Quote:

You went to exclusive boutique nightclub in London to have "once in a life time experience" wearing t-shirt, gym shorts and baseball cap? It was inappropriate and disrespectful. Didn't you know about dress code? No sportswear.
What did you expect - to be embraced by the crowd? Get into their cliques - a complete stranger?
Why? Because you had a VIP ticket that cost your aunt a fortune?
Going there alone was probably a mistake too.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:56 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,272,923 times
Closing thread. It's probably for the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London