Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 07:58 AM

2,365 posts, read 1,850,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaynewday View Post
NYC is the equivalent of the high school jock who had his fifteen minutes in eleventh grade, but has been slowly losing his looks and "cool" factor ever since.

If you think NYC is the world's capital you simply haven't seen much of the world. Western Hemisphere's capital? That notion I'll entertain.

I think that's downplaying NYC a bit. London though, yeah it is sort of the capital of the world. Why is it? Lets see, because of international connections, international banking. It's stable, relatively centrally located GMT-0 timezone. It's well positioned and well connected world city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2021, 09:28 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
NYC certainly for financial capital.

"New York City
New York, commonly regarded as the finance capital of the world, has been ranked first in the World’s Financial Centers by the Global Financial Centres Index.9 New York is famous for Wall Street, the most happening stock market and the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), the largest stock exchange by market capitalization.3

The city is a mix of various cultures from across the globe providing a diverse population and workforce. It plays host to some of the largest and finest companies (Fortune 500 and Fortune 1000), biggest banks (Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, and Merrill Lynch, JP Morgan) and industries.

It is difficult to find a big name in the world of business that does not have a presence in the city. "

https://www.investopedia.com/article...ial-cities.asp

"1. NEW YORK
And finally on the first rank of the Global Financial cities stands New York, often regarded as the “Financial capital of the world”. From the Central Park to the Brooklyn Bridge to the Statue of Liberty and Times Square New York is filled with iconic stuff. With a population of over 8 million, it is the most densely populated city in the United States.

People from across the globe dream of working in the city that never sleeps. It facilitates the world’s largest trade center, Wall Street along with the 2 largest stock exchanges the NYSE and NASDAQ. "

https://fintrakk.com/largest-financi...iggest-cities/

Old 08-06-2021, 07:57 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
I don't think it was in 1243 A.D., so not always.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaynewday View Post
NYC is the equivalent of the high school jock who had his fifteen minutes in eleventh grade, but has been slowly losing his looks and "cool" factor ever since.

If you think NYC is the world's capital you simply haven't seen much of the world. Western Hemisphere's capital? That notion I'll entertain.
This is correct.
London gets my vote.

Old 08-06-2021, 12:35 PM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
NYC certainly for financial capital.

"New York City
New York, commonly regarded as the finance capital of the world, has been ranked first in the World’s Financial Centers by the Global Financial Centres Index.9 New York is famous for Wall Street, the most happening stock market and the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), the largest stock exchange by market capitalization.3

The city is a mix of various cultures from across the globe providing a diverse population and workforce. It plays host to some of the largest and finest companies (Fortune 500 and Fortune 1000), biggest banks (Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, and Merrill Lynch, JP Morgan) and industries.

It is difficult to find a big name in the world of business that does not have a presence in the city. "

https://www.investopedia.com/article...ial-cities.asp

"1. NEW YORK
And finally on the first rank of the Global Financial cities stands New York, often regarded as the “Financial capital of the world”. From the Central Park to the Brooklyn Bridge to the Statue of Liberty and Times Square New York is filled with iconic stuff. With a population of over 8 million, it is the most densely populated city in the United States.

People from across the globe dream of working in the city that never sleeps. It facilitates the world’s largest trade center, Wall Street along with the 2 largest stock exchanges the NYSE and NASDAQ. "

https://fintrakk.com/largest-financi...iggest-cities/
It's difficult to name a big financial company that not in London, and the city is a financial powerhouse, with a long history.

London: Financial Capital of the World - LSE

How London Became the World’s Financial Hub - Investopedia

As for stock markets there has been a radical shift in capital markets with the US alone, the number of listed companies stands at just over 4,000, half the amount in 1996, the zenith for the US market. Europe has also contracted, to a lesser degree.

The post-crisis rise of private equity is just one driver behind the change. Other factors include the slower pace of new companies launching on public markets, while mergers that combine multiple stocks have also cut the tally of listed companies. Low interest rates, meanwhile, have increased the appeal of debt financing for companies that may have previously decided to raise money by selling equity.

Private Equity and Venture Capital are also increasingly being used to raise funds, to the increasing detriment of stock markets.

The London Stock Exchange (LSE) is now diversifying and has acquired Refinitiv, a major global provider of financial market data and infrastructure, and the main competitor to Bloomberg.

Company overview -Refinitiv

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-06-2021 at 12:59 PM..

Old 08-11-2021, 05:14 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,781,314 times
London has deeper ties to Asia and Africa due to the legacy and history of the British Empire. And because of that, I think there is a more international vibe to the business climate in London vs. New York.

For example, HSBC is headquartered in London but does the majority of its business in Asia due to its history in Hong Kong.

Another factor is that London is closer to the Middle East and Dubai. That also gives it a more international vibe.

I still think NY is a more powerful financial center, but I kind of agree that London is more international / “capital of the world”-ish.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:21 PM

323 posts, read 259,547 times
I don't find London to be the "Capital of the world," but I do find it to be one of the dopest cities on the planet...

I don't care much about metrics and international business connections and the like.. I judge a city by my experiences there...

With that being said though, I can certainly understand how many people out there would consider London to be the Capital of the world based on certain metrics, and the same goes for New York.
However, as several people here have already pointed out, London definitely gets the edge in this department...

Old 09-07-2021, 05:54 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBetrus View Post
With that being said though, I can certainly understand how many people out there would consider London to be the Capital of the world based on certain metrics, and the same goes for New York.
It is definitely a competition between London (Old World) and New York City (New World) which is considered the capital of the world.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:50 AM

910 posts, read 366,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Why is London the capital of the world and not somewhere else? Because it just is. That's all there is to it.

And America is NOT the most famous country in the world. It just thinks it is.

London is the hub of England and England is the center of the universe.

London is not the capital of the world, there is no capital of the world. America has the largest GDP in the world, but as for famous, there are lots of famous countries. England is not the center of the universe, it is just another country, like America or Germany. The only correct statement you made is that London is the hub of England.

Last edited by vindag; 09-07-2021 at 08:52 AM..

Old 09-07-2021, 08:06 AM

Now now, I think Zooisite is just exhibiting a bit of anglophile humour.
No need to take offense and start the name-calling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London