Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 08:55 AM

910 posts, read 367,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Now now, I think Zooisite is just exhibiting a bit of anglophile humour.
No need to take offense and start the name-calling.
Thank You, I edit it. I still find a lot of his posts quite nauseating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2021, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 842 times
In my opinion. London is more for rich people. Many entrepreneurs who make good money. They go to London. The standard of living is different. Quite a different mentality. I really like that a lot of buildings are being built. It is a good vein for investment. And the people who do it. That's what attracts them. I like the fact that I can look at new builds near me to buy for free. That's a plus for my income.

Old 10-17-2021, 12:37 PM

67 posts, read 27,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittens4ever90 View Post
However sometimes it can feel like the Uk is not relevant apart from London the rest of the country has no attractions like if I'm bored in the school holidays going on trip to the country is the boring not same as America where it is far more dangerous and exciting where you explore so much and plus their landscapes are way better.

I know I'm going on but still I want to know what you think about London as whole and about being capital the world.
I feel embarrassed for you. I doubt you've ever travelled to the UK, never mind live here. Great cities like Oxford, Cambridge, Bristol, Edinburgh, Bath, Winchester, Windsor all offer plenty to see and do.

The incredible natural beauty of the Lake District, The Scottish Highlands, Peak District, South Wales, Cornwall.

More Castles, Museums and National Parks than you might think possible.

All within an area of 80,823 sq mi (Idaho is 83,569 sq mi).

Old 10-18-2021, 06:35 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Why is London the capital of the world and not somewhere else? Because it just is. That's all there is to it.

And America is NOT the most famous country in the world. It just thinks it is.

London is the hub of England and England is the center of the universe.

I assume that you wrote that tongue in cheek, or floating on a cloud of Russian laughing water.
I was born and raised in London, I think that it’s a great city, I wouldn’t live anywhere else in U.K., but I don’t see it as the centre of the universe.
Equally, I don’t think that America thinks that it is the greatest country in the world, but let’s be truthful, it’s right up there.
Many, many moons ago I had a girlfriend who lived in Canarsie, Brooklyn, NYC.
When I flew into JFK she’d pick me up and take me to her place.
After she left to go to work on 14th St. Manhattan in the mornings, I’d stroll to a local diner after my shower, have my eggs Benedict and coffee then hop on the L train, (think it was the L), at Canarsie and get off at Union Square, I never got fed up walking up Broadway, through Times Square, all the way to Columbus Circle.
There was always something interesting to see, maybe a new bar had opened in the few months since I’d last been in town, or a building had been knocked down and a new one was being erected.
As much as I love my home town of London, New York always gave me a kick, I love it.

Old 10-30-2021, 12:17 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
nowhere is officially " the capital of the world "

these kind of descriptions - claims are entirely notional

i was in london in the past week and it is a terrific city , incredible atmosphere and energy about it.

it is very very expensive however , to give one example , my partner and I stopped for two coffees and a slice of cake ( for her as they had no gluten free option for me ) near Trafalgar square .

£18 including a £2 service charge

coffee in most places was over £4

trains are also very expensive in the UK , £75 return from Gatwick airport to Victoria station for two , we got an oyster ticket each for the same money and used the tube a lot so we got ok value but for people who werent planning on doing anything but a return train from the airport , thats huge

Old 10-30-2021, 02:34 PM

910 posts, read 367,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
nowhere is officially " the capital of the world "

these kind of descriptions - claims are entirely notional

i was in london in the past week and it is a terrific city , incredible atmosphere and energy about it.

it is very very expensive however , to give one example , my partner and I stopped for two coffees and a slice of cake ( for her as they had no gluten free option for me ) near Trafalgar square .

£18 including a £2 service charge

coffee in most places was over £4

trains are also very expensive in the UK , £75 return from Gatwick airport to Victoria station for two , we got an oyster ticket each for the same money and used the tube a lot so we got ok value but for people who werent planning on doing anything but a return train from the airport , thats huge
Those prices are scary! Our prices in Los Angeles have gone up, but there not quite as bad yet!

Old 10-31-2021, 02:13 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
Those prices are scary! Our prices in Los Angeles have gone up, but there not quite as bad yet!
Now I get that we dined in central London and West London but all of London is " touristy" to some degre, in soho we had a huge Chinese dinner for two for £60 so some places were decent value

Old 10-31-2021, 09:46 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Our last dinner in London was the Victoria Princess Pub ib Shepherd’s Bush. Decent food, quaint local place for us American tourists (with two local friends).

Last edited by ScoPro; 12-30-2021 at 02:12 PM..

Old 10-31-2021, 10:22 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,128,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittens4ever90 View Post
London is worlds most important city the capital of the world where everyone rich celebrity lives in the most visited city in the world why not New York. America not Britain is most famous country in the world .

However the most famous city is London.What Makes this city so desirable to others even on Bollywood they had a song set in the London bride tower bridge as they dancing their I guess cause we colnized India so they more about the Uk but in somewhere like China or Philippines ,South Korea , Japan America is more well known .

London is not even the biggest city in Europe Istanbul is I know it is not fully in Europe home of Byzantine and ithe and Ottoman empire . it is one most visted cities in the world however it is tourist place not a financial city . The biggest city in the world as well having biggest economy of any city is Tokyo which is holding this year's olympics why London why not Tokyo there loads others I could name Dubai , Shanghai ,Bejing , Los Angeles Berlin , Moscow Paris, Hong Kong , Las Vegas , Sydney , Seoul ,Rome Barcelona. But they will never come close to London never why can't New York compete with London

I guess cause as I said London is the more important city America has a million other important cities we only have one London.

On songs hear about London you will hear Chicago , San Francisco and Washington Dc as well New York but a British artist will only sing about London

However sometimes it can feel like the Uk is not relevant apart from London the rest of the country has no attractions like if I'm bored in the school holidays going on trip to the country is the boring not same as America where it is far more dangerous and exciting where you explore so much and plus their landscapes are way better.

I know I'm going on but still I want to know what you think about London as whole and about being capital the world.
When you decide to use correct English, I'll consider this a legitimate post that merits a material response.

Old 10-31-2021, 11:00 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
When you decide to use correct English, I'll consider this a legitimate post that merits a material response.
A tad harsh, but understandable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London