Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 07:59 PM

686 posts, read 3,715,544 times

Advertisements

HI, I have always wanted to live in london and become a newcaster for SKYNews or BBC. Do you think an American could do that? Also, what is life like in London? Anyone that has lived in the U.S. and can compare? Is london really as expensive as everyone claims? I would really appreciate your answers.

Daniel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 08:28 PM

89 posts, read 368,556 times
Hi Daniel,
Most people in the UK find London dear so having travelled to the US many times I can say that compared to the places I've seen in the US then yes London is expensive (My brother and a few mates live in London for many years)! The cost of real estate to buy or rent in most suburbs of London is dear. Cost of living you'll probably find dear although I can only compare food shopping and eating out and not general utilities etc. I guess though wages would be more than maybe you might get most other places to try to compensate.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:38 PM

Sorry meant to add that sky are based in Twickenham which is west London and about 10 miles out of the centre of London.
The BBC is nearer the centre of London in shepherds bush west london. However the BBC are moving 90% of their operations to Salford which is north west of the UK - many miles away from London!

Old 03-17-2007, 09:46 PM

Default Thnx for the info

what is life like in London Generally? Is it fairly safe? How are the people? Stuck up, or is it a mix? It seems that the wording and phrases the British use can be hard to learn at first. Are they really that hard?

Old 03-17-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
what is life like in London Generally? Is it fairly safe? How are the people? Stuck up, or is it a mix? It seems that the wording and phrases the British use can be hard to learn at first. Are they really that hard?
What is London like - well I'd say like most large cities of the world. There's lots to do but at a cost usually! Is it safe yes and no. Again like most large cities there's nice parts which are generally safe and area's where I'd say certainly aren't safe at night. I'd say on the whole London people tend not to mix with neighbours as everyone is so busy with life. There are exceptions but this is the view of 5 or 6 people I know that have lived in London for many years. The north of the UK is friendlier as we talk to most people. I recently called the police to a driver that hit a new neighbours car and tried to drive off. She was surprised I did that as she used to live in London and to quote her' if it isn't their car they'd not be calling the police!'
In terms of wording or phrases I'm not sure what you mean - sorry? Do you mean the local slang/accent?

Old 03-17-2007, 10:42 PM

Default THnx

By slang, I mean things like :

going to the chemist: which means the pharmacist

or

bloody hell. Things like that. Phrases that only British people tend to use.

Thanks.

Daniel

Old 03-18-2007, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
By slang, I mean things like :

going to the chemist: which means the pharmacist

or

bloody hell. Things like that. Phrases that only British people tend to use.

Thanks.

Daniel
Oh I see what you mean. Well there's quite a few differences between the way Brits use English and you guys. Same as Canadians and Australians. I guess you'll get used to it. Hey it'd being boring if we were all the same! Not sure what else I can say to be honest. Hope that helps?

Old 03-18-2007, 08:29 AM

578 posts, read 3,062,868 times
Quote:
There are many phrases us Brits uses which vary all over the country i mean when i go to london (im from up north) sometimes i dont have a clue what they are talking about. Best thing to do is google london slang/phrases

Old 03-18-2007, 10:20 AM

Default Good tip

Great. Thanks for the heads up. My friend's grandmother lives in London and he has been there many times. He told me that the Tube is very convenient and is clean. I assume the Tube is a good way to get around London? Better than a car? What is the weather like in London? Is it always cloudy,rainy, or sunny? Thanks.

Daniel True

Old 03-18-2007, 10:38 AM

578 posts, read 3,062,868 times
The tube is clean yes and convenient many people rely on it, every time ive been to london ive never drove instead ive always used the tube its reliable. Driving well unless you love traffic and congestion charges I wouldnt drive in london at all its pretty bad and parking is worse London isnt a friendly city for drivers at all. The weather in london is generally crap just like the rest of england but better than the north. Lots of grey clouds and lots of rainy days with the odd sunny day although in summer the sun does appear more often than not but rain is always lurking hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London