U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 12:02 PM

29,214 posts, read 52,471,623 times

Advertisements

LONDON, March 8 (UPI) -- British authorities say they intend to reduce the speed limit on most roads to 50 mph to reduce carbon emissions and save lives.

Officials say the reduction from the current 60 mph limit, which is to take effect as early as next year, could prevent 250 traffic deaths a year, The Sunday Times of London reported.

Brits to cut speed limit on most roads - UPI.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 01:24 PM

18,264 posts, read 8,310,608 times
I wish that could happen here in America. Over there in Britain people will probably abide by the speed limit. Here in America doing that would only encourage people to go faster therefore raising the amount of traffic deaths.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:38 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,970,358 times
It's not going to make a damn difference. Between all the traffic on the roads and one traffic law after the other, there's little joy in driving any more.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:52 AM

15,400 posts, read 15,990,402 times
This is the first I've heard of this.

Yet again the thinking is that a blanket speed limit is the answer and it is not.

I've so much I could say about this but I don't have the time and my temper would get the better of me.

Briefly, this 250 deaths a year- if there is an idiot breaking a 60 limit then that idiot will break a 50 limit.

This stuff about reducing CO2 emissions.
Boy, did this 'government' jump on that bandwagon and screw us for it.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:31 AM

102 posts, read 242,653 times
I think there is a little more to it than 'blanket'. If local governments can prove that certain roads are very safe then they will be able to increase the speed limit again. The good thing is that the burden of proof is on the local government to prove that it's safe and therefore there is an incentive for them to make our roads safer in order to be rewarded by having an increased limit.

Also there should be less offenders as the new limit will coincide with new speed cameras which measure speed over a longer distance so people can not do so much of the sudden braking before a speed camera and then speed off again once out of the danger zone so to speak.

This new limit will not apply to motorways and most dual carriage ways. It is mostly aimed at country roads where a disproportionate level of motor accidents and deaths occur on British roads.

Of course it will not prevent idiots who will never pay attention to the laws, but there are a number of road users who I know who tend to always push their luck and drive roughly 10-20 miles above the speed limit i.e in a 30 zone they will do 40-50 and in a 70 zone they will do 80-90. I think it is these people that it will have the most impact on as driving at 80-90 in a 50 zone will make them stop and think a bit more as it's a bigger margin. I know it shouldn't be that way but I think it is and therefore I am in support of the new law.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:38 AM

521 posts, read 1,422,796 times
Does any body else sniff yet another opportunity for this corrupt and failing Government to squeeze us for more stealth taxes.

By 2008 road deaths in the UK were at their lowest since records began in 1926.

I have some figures for 2006 (deaths per 100,000 population):-

UK 5.4
USA 14.2
Japan 5.7
Australia 7.7
France 7.7
Germany 6.2
Netherlands 4.5
Norway 5.2
Sweden 4.9
Spain 9.3

Old 03-11-2009, 11:10 AM

15,400 posts, read 15,990,402 times
This is also at a time where the car ownership rate is at its highest.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:01 PM

2,257 posts, read 2,085,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
Does any body else sniff yet another opportunity for this corrupt and failing Government to squeeze us for more stealth taxes.

By 2008 road deaths in the UK were at their lowest since records began in 1926.

I have some figures for 2006 (deaths per 100,000 population):-

UK 5.4
USA 14.2
Japan 5.7
Australia 7.7
France 7.7
Germany 6.2
Netherlands 4.5
Norway 5.2
Sweden 4.9
Spain 9.3
I can honestly say that the UK is one of the "safest" places to drive in the world. Drivers are generally very courteous and reckless driving isn't usually tolerated.

Why cut speed limits though? If anything, I'd like to see speed limits increased on certain motorways. Let's be honest, most people drive in excess of 70mph on the motorway (I did). You can drive fast, without driving dangerously.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:34 AM

102 posts, read 242,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I can honestly say that the UK is one of the "safest" places to drive in the world. Drivers are generally very courteous and reckless driving isn't usually tolerated.

Why cut speed limits though? If anything, I'd like to see speed limits increased on certain motorways. Let's be honest, most people drive in excess of 70mph on the motorway (I did). You can drive fast, without driving dangerously.
It's not going to affect motorways. As I explained above, it is aimed at smaller, country roads where most of our motorway deaths occur. You cannot drive faster without driving dangerously as you are increasing the risk of a death in the event of an accident. This is automatically more dangerous. I for one get really sick of people taking the law into their own hands and pretty much deciding my fate if we were to have an accident because it is more likely that I will die if they crash into me. You can't always control when you are going to have an accident, sometimes it can be as simple as hitting a puddle that sends your car skidding across the road.

What's more - our country is one of the safest in the world for driving. So that's it? Let's all lie back and leave it at that and not even try to improve? It's not an excuse to get complacent and until there are zero deaths then we should continue trying to improve things. Yes it's safe in comparison to other countries but people still die! Even if the new laws save one life in my opinion it's worth it. I'd rather be late for work than early for my funeral

Old 03-12-2009, 01:28 PM

2,980 posts, read 7,784,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post

Yep have to agree. I have always felt safe driving here compared to the US, Greece, Italy and Spain. Just crazy! I must have seen at least 10 crashes during my 1 month visit to see my in laws in MS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London