U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 09:58 AM

2 posts, read 25,961 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am interested in studying abroad for a year in either Sydney or London. Im not quite sure which one to pick. Im a 25 years old african amercan female. im looking for a place where there is a lot to do, a good nightlife, and friendly people. London looks interesting because it is diverse, and I could travel throughout europe cheaply. Sydney looks interesting because of the weather, nightlife, and it's a little bit more affordable than london. I am a student so I cant live lavishly, and I know London is pricey. Any suggestions???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 04:09 PM

15,217 posts, read 15,775,906 times
They are so different what difference would this make?

Old 06-26-2009, 04:46 PM

294 posts, read 658,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intuitive25 View Post
Hello,

I am interested in studying abroad for a year in either Sydney or London. Im not quite sure which one to pick. Im a 25 years old african amercan female. im looking for a place where there is a lot to do, a good nightlife, and friendly people. London looks interesting because it is diverse, and I could travel throughout europe cheaply. Sydney looks interesting because of the weather, nightlife, and it's a little bit more affordable than london. I am a student so I cant live lavishly, and I know London is pricey. Any suggestions???

Good nightlife can be had in both London and Sydney.

Sydney is cheaper , both housing and way of life. and Sydney is also diverse.

Both Cities have good people and Bad people.

London has more historical places than Sydney.

London is only a train journey from mainland Europe , Sydney is thousands of miles from any city outside of Aussie.

It's up to you.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:08 AM

4,663 posts, read 7,866,624 times
If your looking for a year abroad then weather shouldn't come into it. London is a bigger, more diverse city than Sydney. If you were looking to move permanently then it would be a difficult decision, but for a year I would say London hands down. London would offer far more in terms of history, culture, and ease of travel. London is expensive, but then so is any big city.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:57 PM

1,288 posts, read 3,147,667 times
Chalk and cheese. Oranges and apples. Do whatever is right for you.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:48 AM

2 posts, read 12,903 times
ian, london is smaller than sydney. much more people but smaller area.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:13 AM

9,825 posts, read 15,943,487 times
Have you considered other cities in each country and ruled them out? Is there a reason you've decided on London versus another city or University in the UK?

As mentioned, any big city is expensive but there are cities in the UK that are less expensive than London and offer great Universities, culture, history, nightlife, etc. Manchester is known for it's nightlife but it's history is mostly in the industrial age. Plenty of culture here too and the University is great. The University of Manchester
Check this report out for details on the cost of living in Manchester versus London: http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor/econo...ing_report.pdf

I don't know a ton about other Universities but I'm sure other people can recommend some.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:26 AM

11 posts, read 23,477 times
Sydney is far better thn london in every aspect... most imp is sydney is cheaper thn london...

Old 11-10-2009, 12:36 PM

3 posts, read 18,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Clayden View Post
Sydney is far better thn london in every aspect... most imp is sydney is cheaper thn london...

Interesting comment. I'd like to know why you think that.

London isn't a a world city for any reason.

1) One of the three global finanacial centres (along with Tokyo and New York)
2) Diversity - Along with NYC, one of the worlds two global crossroads, with all manner of people and natiionalites living here, creating a melting pot and an energy Sydney cannot rival.
3) Arts, culture - More museums than any city on earth (we were THE imperial nation), some of the best nightlife on earth, if you want to shop - well, you're coming to the best place, Food - any cuisine you like.
3) Some of the best educational facilities in the world reside in London.

I could go on. London is incomparable to Sydney, sure the weather's better over there and it's cheaper, but if you want an experience - London's the place to be.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:58 PM

35,027 posts, read 61,313,526 times
This is a tough one. Theyre both incredible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London