Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 06:34 PM

10 posts, read 46,882 times

Advertisements

I'm 19 years old, and I've decided to take some steps towards independence. Moving to and working in what's for me a foreign country seems pretty drastic, but I'm thinking that such an abrupt shift in lifestyle might do me some good. I've really become tired of the status quo.

Generally, how would you describe the job market in London for an American? I'm not looking for something especially fancy, mostly a chance to support myself somewhere else while leaving enough time to have a bit of fun. I've been to London, and know that it's very expensive, so I'm not sure that this is possible, but I thought that if I could get a job bartending in a popular club, for example, that would be able to pay my necessaries. Maybe there are job opportunities that I'm completely overlooking. If you have any suggestions at all, or maybe even some general advice, I'd appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 08:19 PM

267 posts, read 1,287,462 times
Hi,
I can see 2 problems for you. Firstly you need a work visa to work in the UK. I'm not sure you'll be allowed in for a bar job and I doubt they'll sponsor you.
The other problem with bar work in London is the pay. My mate works nights in a central london br but in addition to his regular job. Bar work generally pays £6-£7 per hour so I'd say you'll be lucky to earn £1000 a month before taxes (including national insurance). After tax you'll be looking at £780 a month. Accomodation in central London will be out of your price range so you'll need to travel. 1 bed appartment £400+ a month, council tax and other bills could be about £150 a month. So you can see it'll be tight.
What skills have you got? Maybe you could apply for a slightly more skilled job that will pay you a lot more and maybe sponsor you into the UK.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:08 AM

218 posts, read 580,139 times
To my knowledge, it would be difficult for you to do this unless you are directly sponsored by a UK company. Now our son who has dual citizenship (Brit-US) was recruited and then sponsored for a two year contract. He fulfilled it (petro engineer) and enjoyed it all very much. He said he was very very fortunate to get his visa so quickly. If you don't have certain skill sets, it would be hard for you to work in UK at this time.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:10 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,881,511 times
How about an MBA in advertising .. is the media lucrative enough for me to shift there (London)..i have a sponsor there and luckily could live in my uncle's 6 room mansion..other than that ..what could be my earning ? keeping in mind the current economic downfall (Recession) in he job market for equally skilled candidates..sorry to highjack the thread ..i really need some hands on suggestion ..please post your replies on my profile message board ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London