U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2010, 12:37 PM

410 posts, read 1,459,599 times

Advertisements

I have been offered 35,000 annually for a data mining position (statistical data collection and analyzing). I really want to move to the UK but don't know if that is a good salary for the position or not. That aside, I have about 2,500 pounds saved up for the move (I only have to pay for rent, food, deposits, etc). I have been looking into Ealing to live. Is that a nice area for a family (single mom and 6 year old)? Any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 02:24 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,789,550 times
Average salary in the UK is £25,000 so 35,000 sounds ok if it's pounds - no idea what the going rate is for data mining though. Ealing is a nice area but it depends where exactly you will be working - have you figured out the nearest underground station to your workplace ? If you google "london estate agents" you can get an idea of rent in various areas.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:52 AM

79 posts, read 257,770 times
On the assumption that you will be treated as a UK personal taxpayer...

Your employer will be legally obliged to make 2 types of deduction from each month's salary - "Income Tax" and "National Insurance", both of which are inescapable taxes which go to the Government, but for rather dull historical reasons are called different things (a great British tradition !).

Each year the Treasury updates the tax thresholds, so the figures you need to calculate your net take-home pay are for the 2010/11 tax year (i.e. the 12 months starting on April 6th 2010 as the UK tax year runs from April 6th to April 5th - another great British tradition !).

For 2010/11, each personal taxpayer gets a tax-free allowance of GBP6,475. So, if your salary is going to be GBP35,000 you will only pay tax on (GBP35,000 - 6,745) = GBP28,525. The Income Tax calculation is very simple, as they will take a flat 20% from the GBP28,525 i.e. GBP5,705. The National Insurance calculation is slightly more complicated, and I won't trouble you with it here other than to say the tax comes to GBP2,594.35. These deductions are taken proportionally each pay period, so if you're on a monthly salary (most likely), just divide everything by 12.

Setting it out more legibly:
Gross salary 35,000.00
Income Tax (5,705.00)
Nat Ins (2,594.35)
Net annual 26,500.65
Net monthly 2,225.05

In your particular case, I guess you might be a bit better off than that as you may be eligible for Child Benefit (a welfare type payment) and Tax Credits (for lower income families). But it will all depend on your tax status and you really should take professional advice before signing an employment contract !

Then there are your inescapable living costs (all figures GBP):

Rent
Assuming you're wanting a two-bed apartment, around 1,000 a month in that neighborhood, a bit cheaper if you're prepared to live somewhere sketchy...(P.S. any place in the UK is almost certainly going to be WAY smaller than you are used to...)

Council Tax
A local property tax, depending on the value of the apartment, around 100-150 a month

Utilities
Water, sewerage, gas (cooking&heating), electricity are almost never included in the rent so maybe 200 a month ?

Travel
Assuming the worst case that you're working downtown, a Zone 1-3 Travelcard is 116 a month (Ealing is in Travelcard Zone 3). But it does cover all public transportation in those zones without limit.

Childcare
I currently pay about 350 a month for my son's pre and post-school club.

So totting that lot up, it comes to about 1800 a month. Leaving you about 425 a month for everything else.

Not impossible, but pretty tight ! Of course, you may well think it's worth it for the experience

PM me if you have any more specific questions.

Last edited by njf63; 01-27-2010 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: Clarity

Old 02-02-2010, 12:08 PM

4,663 posts, read 7,872,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
I have been offered 35,000 annually for a data mining position (statistical data collection and analyzing). I really want to move to the UK but don't know if that is a good salary for the position or not. That aside, I have about 2,500 pounds saved up for the move (I only have to pay for rent, food, deposits, etc). I have been looking into Ealing to live. Is that a nice area for a family (single mom and 6 year old)? Any suggestions?

£35k is OK for UK but not for London - you will be alright but you will really have to watch the pennies. Don't expect more than a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment (around 500-600 sq ft), and high prices for everything!!

Old 04-03-2010, 10:40 AM

2,202 posts, read 3,973,690 times
When I lived in Ealing the first time (the first time ever outside the U.S., BTW) it was in a shared home. The owners sub-let the second floor and shared the kitchen. This allowed me to get familiar with London without commiting to a long-term lease.

The second time: two of us (someone I knew well) shared a flat.

The company hiring you may offer (should offer) resettling assistance which may include a temporary place to stay at their expense. These are usually not so pleasant for someone at your (our) pay level but they suffice while looking for a more permanent arrangement.

Sometimes an employee of company will offer to share a flat/house (even if temporarily).

As for Ealing, I liked it (was there in 1987-88, 1991 & 2006). The Underground connections aren't the greatest but it does have more than one station fairly close and is connected to National Rail. It's easy getting to Heathrow (which was important to me because I went to Paris on weekends...1987-88...no Chunnel yet).

I didn't think of Ealing as being a part of London, really. Actually, I thought Ealing was a bit sleepy considering it being a "college town". The rents didn't seem particularly high, perhaps because of the distance to London proper. Unfortunately, I haven't lived anywhere but Ealing so my experience is quite limited. But, except for travel time to work to consider, Ealing wouldn't be a *bad* choice.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 6,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
£35k is OK for UK but not for London - you will be alright but you will really have to watch the pennies. Don't expect more than a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment (around 500-600 sq ft), and high prices for everything!!
Yes If it is £35k, it is OK for UK but not for London. Just look for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment.

apartments in london for rent-http://www.shortlet-london.com/

Last edited by shortlet; 04-21-2010 at 09:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London