Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:33 AM

90 posts, read 288,698 times

Advertisements

Buggar. I haven't lived in London for years & now live in the tourist town of Virginia Beach in the US, which is about 3 hours south of Washington DC. Obviously the rate of living in the UK is higher than here but I had no idea it was so much more.

Currently I pay $1400/month (£972/month) for a 2 bed/2 bath with a den about three blocks from the beach. Which I know for a fact I couldn't get close to that in London...not for the size of the place of have, which is about 1250 sq feet.

My mum has a cottage in Brighton and my parents bought it in 1987 for £48,000. Apparantly its worth was estimated last year and they said it could be sold as is for £289,000 ($416,000). But if it was repaired & renovated, it could go for as much as £390,000 ($562,000). That's bloody ridiculous if you ask me, the house is a midget. Half a million dollars for a doll house....wow.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:26 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,554,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Caroline View Post
Buggar. I haven't lived in London for years & now live in the tourist town of Virginia Beach in the US, which is about 3 hours south of Washington DC. Obviously the rate of living in the UK is higher than here but I had no idea it was so much more.

Currently I pay $1400/month (£972/month) for a 2 bed/2 bath with a den about three blocks from the beach. Which I know for a fact I couldn't get close to that in London...not for the size of the place of have, which is about 1250 sq feet.

My mum has a cottage in Brighton and my parents bought it in 1987 for £48,000. Apparantly its worth was estimated last year and they said it could be sold as is for £289,000 ($416,000). But if it was repaired & renovated, it could go for as much as £390,000 ($562,000). That's bloody ridiculous if you ask me, the house is a midget. Half a million dollars for a doll house....wow.
Yep-one of the reasons we moved to the US!

We couldn't ever imagine being able to afford to live a bit further out into the country where there was more space without being isolated.
Those sorts of properties are astronomically priced. If it's not commuters buying them then it's folks buying them for vacation homes.

The locals can't afford to get on the housing ladder in those areas.

Here we have almost an acre, 1800sqft, a lakeview plus a boat dock on a 500 acre lake. I am 5 mins drive from my sons school, Caribou coffee, stores and restaurants.
Mountains 1 hr, beach 3 hrs.
All of this for what our 1920S 1100sq ft 3 bed semi in the North-east was worth.
Our property taxes are around 1000 GBP per year as we are on a double lot.
We have our own well for water and a septic tank so no water or sewerage to pay for.

My salary in the UK was around one eigth of the value of our home.
Here it would be about one fifth, so proportionally far better salary, plus cost of living is lower even allowing for health insurance and the high level of auto insurance we're having to pay at the moment.
Income Tax is a different ball game.
By the time my husband claimed his allowances and deductions etc, he only paid tax on around 60% of his salary.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:27 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,710,970 times
Yeah prices in London are ridiculous.
House prices in the states seem to be very reasonable & it seems you've done very well susan42, but keep an eye on your well.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:42 AM

2 posts, read 12,062 times
Im still flipping out over the income taxes.....32% !!!! WOW !!!! Id rather keep my private insurance and only pay 7%

Old 08-14-2010, 04:32 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,071,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surviving_her View Post
The true cost of living in London is the loss of your sanity. Trust. This is no place to live.
Did you mean that due to this, you might be trying to rob other people because of it? Trust meaning you lose your trust credibility to others and you stop trusting others as well ??

Old 11-28-2011, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 8,197 times
Default cost of living in london?

Hi guys, I am considering moving to London because it is one of my dreams to go to hair school there. I am only 18 and it would be my fiance and I moving there together. Can anyone tell me what the cost of living is like? At a bare minimum but we would also like a fairly nice apartment, not a dump.
Rent
Utilities
Tax
And etc. Anything you can think of. Also, is it easy to get financial aid for school in London? Thank you very much!

Old 11-29-2011, 01:18 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,910,144 times
Greater London covers hundreds of square miles so I think you had best identify where exactly the school is for starters. Then you can investigate nearby neighbourhoods as prices vary tremendously depending on if it's somewhere fashionable like Mayfair or unfashionable like Acton. Financial aid would only be available to you if you are British residents I believe. Does your fiance have a London job lined up ?

Old 11-29-2011, 09:13 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,248,143 times
Its expensive cheif....even for a SMALL Flat

Old 11-29-2011, 10:23 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,634,167 times
London is fairly expensive, but not as expensive as people think. Sydney and Melbourne actually outrank London in expenses, particularly for housing and eating out etc.

Your best option is to rent a flat, don't come to London with no money though. When renting, avoid central London as it is MUCH more expensive then the suburbs.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:08 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,296,381 times
Ian's post should give you some idea. Prices have risen since then on some items (utilities and petrol (gasoline) in particular)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I live about 20 miles outside London:

Rent for small 2 bed apartment (550 sq ft) is £1250
Council Tax is £150 per month
Utilities around £80 per month
Income tax is around 32% including health
Petrol is £1.13 per litre and car tax is £100 per year

All in all it's pretty expensive considering London rents/mortgages are another 30% on top of that! These are the reasons that my wife wants ti go back to the US so badly!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydetran View Post
Hi guys, I am considering moving to London because it is one of my dreams to go to hair school there. I am only 18 and it would be my fiance and I moving there together. Can anyone tell me what the cost of living is like? At a bare minimum but we would also like a fairly nice apartment, not a dump.
Rent
Utilities
Tax
And etc. Anything you can think of. Also, is it easy to get financial aid for school in London? Thank you very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London