U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 09:19 PM

7 posts, read 63,087 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be moving to RAF Mildenhall around the end of July/beginning of August. I have a few questions:

How is the weather in the summer? And in the winter? I know the winter can b e NOTHING like what we have been living in, in the Midwest with below 0 days. I have heard it rains alot but I will take rain over snow any day!!

What are the best areas to live in around the base? We have been looking at Bury St Edmond's. I did here that Brandon was not the best place to live? We do plan on renting, our cap will be £1250. We would need at least 3 bedrooms since we have 2 kids. I know things are smaller there then in the states so I am ready for that but would still like a 'descent' size place. A flat or house would be fine with us.

My daughter takes dance now and wants to continue once we get there, any recommendations on a good dance school? She is 6 and has been taking dance for 2 years and is on a dance competition team.

We are so excited for this move and can not wait! Thank you to all who answer! It is much appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 02:14 AM

1,288 posts, read 3,064,555 times
In UK terms, Mildenhall is nowhere near London. Cambridge is your nearest city but a little further than the towns you mentioned, and with thousands of students there is always something going on. But it is horrendously expensive. Bury is probably the least boring of the rest. The following link will give you a good indication of prices.

UK's number one property website for properties for sale and to rent

We get an inch or two of snow once or twice a year when the whole country grinds to a halt, and we all moan about how much better the Canadians do it. Summer is mostly warm rather than hot. Every town and village will have some kind of dance school or club for kids.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:05 AM

119 posts, read 239,034 times
Just to repeat what was said above...you aren't really moving to London, so I hope you realise that!
English summers can be wonderful - 25-35 degrees, a nice breeze, and everyone goes to the parks and sits outside and eats and whatever. Very nice. They can however be very short!

The one thing I would say about the weather which will be a big change is the light; in the summer it starts to get light around 3/4 in the morning and stays light til almost 10, which is brilliant. However, the opposite happens in the winter, at its worst it gets light around 8 and gets dark about 4. You may well find winters are not that bad here, as it rarely gets extremely cold (althought this last winter was a very cold one). But having said that, I know people from Finland who struggled a bit in the winter here, because it is a different type of cold if that makes sense. It is wet and damp and windy, and it gets to your bones!

On the dance question I'm sure it's just a question of investigating in your area for a dance class.

Good luck! Hope you enjoy it over here!

Old 03-30-2010, 10:40 PM

7 posts, read 63,087 times
Thank you both for the info...and yes I do know I wont really be moving to London but I figured if I put that I would get a response, so I guess it worked! LOL

moonman13, I 100% understand what you mean about the cold getting in your bones. It gets like that around here at times. But we also have to deal with -30 degrees at times!!

I did look up some dance studios and have emailed them, just waiting for a response now.

I can not wait to get to England, I have always wanted to be able to visit but bow I get to live there for at the least 4 years.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:03 AM

1,288 posts, read 3,064,555 times
It is worth repeating, if I was returning to that area and could handle the commute, I would definitely choose vibrant Cambridge over some sleepy country town. There will be so much more for you and your family to do there. Depnding on your working hours, you would at least be going against the flow of traffic. I would avoid the modern north of the city, and be thinking about somewhere in the Victorian east, near the station.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:58 AM

210 posts, read 460,194 times
You're about an hours drive from the outskirts of London - I live in Mildenhall and drive to see my family in North London and it takes me about 1hr 10mins or so.

I would definitely not pick Cambridge/Bury St Edmunds to live in unless you really like driving 45mins+ every day to go to work on base. I left a reply on your other post about this topic in regards to places to live :]

Old 02-25-2011, 01:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,835 times
Default moving from US to London

We are looking at a move to just outside London in the summer for our 5 1/2 year old to start the Fall 2011 school year.

Could really use help, as I'm very outside of my element, and requirements are:

-Within 30 or so minutes of London, on the North side, as the office is in Milton Keynes, and within 10-15 minutes of the train.

- I have a 5 year old, who is in TK and going into Kindergarden/Primary school. needs to have a great school and possibly private?

-want an area that has a great sense of community, festivals and involvement of the community

-Parks, dance studio, friendly and more family driven, with a lots of activities.

Thinking of looking at Brent, Islington, Ealing, Euston, Hampstead, Ricksmanworth??? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated>>>>>

Old 02-25-2011, 02:38 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,716,079 times
It would be one heck of a long trek from West/North London to Milton Keynes. If it were me I would forget everywhere you listed except Rickmansworth and I would add Hemel Hempstead and St Albans. They are near the M1 so convenient for the commute to MK and they both have rail links to London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London