Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 02:08 PM

10 posts, read 177,663 times

Advertisements

It still sounds like the kind of get together where extending one's pinky during tea sipping is mandatory.

I know the OP means well but, her endeavor still sounds elitist and down right arrogant. Why can't these kids socialize in the same manner as any other kid? If they have some sort of social inability then, ever consider the possibility that this just may be basic chemistry at work? I can recall a majority of the kids at my old elem school's Gifted & Talented program (where in the 3V school district, kids were (still?) segregated into this program in 3rd grade - how could one's IQ be measured accurately at such a young age?) were overwhelmingly considered "socially ret*rded", even by those enrolled in that program. The human brain has a way of balancing abilities. Many who have poor literary skills are good at math. Perhaps those who register a higher IQ, this comes at the sacrifice of sociallizing abilities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 02:41 PM

160 posts, read 451,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder_Skrotums View Post
It still sounds like the kind of get together where extending one's pinky during tea sipping is mandatory.

I know the OP means well but, her endeavor still sounds elitist and down right arrogant. Why can't these kids socialize in the same manner as any other kid? If they have some sort of social inability then, ever consider the possibility that this just may be basic chemistry at work? I can recall a majority of the kids at my old elem school's Gifted & Talented program (where in the 3V school district, kids were (still?) segregated into this program in 3rd grade - how could one's IQ be measured accurately at such a young age?) were overwhelmingly considered "socially ret*rded", even by those enrolled in that program. The human brain has a way of balancing abilities. Many who have poor literary skills are good at math. Perhaps those who register a higher IQ, this comes at the sacrifice of sociallizing abilities?
Again, your gut reaction to this group as being elitist is based on common misperceptions about gifted children. Read a little bit about intellectual giftedness and then reconsider your opinion about helping these children/families find each other.
As someone else posted, "special needs" would be a better way of referring to this group, but that is not how thay are labeled so I am using the word that is currently used to label them.

Last edited by Susan75; 06-11-2010 at 03:34 PM..

Old 06-11-2010, 02:50 PM

311 posts, read 1,019,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan75 View Post
Again, your gut reaction to this group as being elitist is based on common misperceptions about gifted children. Read a little bit about intellectual giftedness and then reconsider your opinion about helping these children/families find each other.
As someone else posted, "special needs" would be a better way of referring to this group, but that is not how that are labeled so I am using the word that is currently used to label them.
I would take a child described as one with "special needs" completely opposite from one who is described as "gifted"

Old 06-11-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew View Post
I would take a child described as one with "special needs" completely opposite from one who is described as "gifted"
That's exactly why that term can't be used to describe the group. My point is, people are offended by the term "gifted". The term "special needs" would better describe them, however both terms already have generalized meanings attached to them.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:39 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,290 times
Quote:
That's exactly why that term can't be used to describe the group. My point is, people are offended by the term "gifted". The term "special needs" would better describe them, however both terms already have generalized meanings attached to them.
How about special ed. for extremely smart, quick kids? After all ,that's what they need - specialized education that doesn't bore the daylights out of them. And that's what it is actually considered in school districts.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
How about special ed. for extremely smart, quick kids? After all ,that's what they need - specialized education that doesn't bore the daylights out of them. And that's what it is actually considered in school districts.
Yes. That is exactly what is needed, but that is not what they get. New York State does not mandate any funding for gifted education, so parents are left to deal with it themselves. Some schools have these so called "gifted" classes that start in 3rd grade and pull small groups of children out a couple of times a week and they do some sort of "enrichment" activity, many don't even have that. The issue is, gifted children who are functioning 1-3 grade levels ahead of their peers are not gifted 2 times a week for 45 minutes. This is entirely insufficient and unfair to them. Why should they have to sit in a class basically reviewing material they mastered a year or two ago?
Would a 10th grader be happy practicing 7th grade math skills for several hours a day? If so, what would their behavior look like in that situation? Most likely they would be a behavior problem, or they would mentally check-out and not do much of anything but daydream.
Long Island has one school for the gifted, but it costs around $14,000 a year and up to send your child there. I'm paying $10,000 a year in property taxes and I don't have an extra $14,000 to pay for my child's education. If he were disabled, he would get services. If he didn't speak English, he would get services. But he learns too fast, so it's... "too bad for you kid- you think you're better than everyone else - guess you should try learning a little slower". Under IDEA, all children are entitled to a "Free and Appropriate Education" - all children that is except those who learn too fast.
Whether people understand this or not, the fact is these children REALLY do have SPECIAL needs. And how foolish is it to not help them develop their abilities to their full potential? These are the children who could grow up and do truly great things- cure diseases, solve energy problems, improve technology, etc. Instead we choose to stifle, ridicule, mock and ignore them as if they don't exist. Acknowledging that someone has an intellectual gift is not putting down the rest of the population, or suggesting that others can't achieve the same things. The point is...all children should be helped in reaching their full potential, not just special needs kids, typical kids, and ESL kids.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder_Skrotums View Post

You sound like one of those jealous people who goes to PTA meetings and school board meetings and yells and screams and throws fits about getting rid of programs for smart kids. That's exactly what/who you remind me of. I've seen these types of prejudiced/envious individuals in action and hope to never have personal contact with any of them. Ever. Perhaps it is you who is "socially ret*rded" to use your own terminology.

It must be uncomfortable to be totally uninformed about a subject you know nothing about but yet you still have a lot to say. Perhaps it's jealousy that you weren't in the gifted group, and that's what's prompted your nasty and sarcastic attack.

As far as elitist (that sounds like typical school adminstration jargon - were you possibly John Sonedecker's accomplice? - that may explain your screen name) and arrogant goes, Susan is genuinely concerned about her child and rightfully ought to be. It's a big responsibility making sure your kid doesn't feel like an outcast because they are "gifted." Gifted with what? A knack for making people jealous and angry like yourself? I wouldn't call that a gift at all.

To clear up your misinformation: These kids aren't socially retarded at all, to use your crude, insulting terminology; in fact, and I know it will be very hard for someone like you to believe since you're so prejudiced against them, these kids are actually much more mature than their age peers - that's the problem. These "gifted" kids are socially about 3 - 4 years ahead of kids their own age, and not only are they socially ahead, but they're intellectually light years ahead as well. This means they are better off being around like-minded kids who are just as smart as they are and who are just as mature.

Patience is what a gifted kid needs to interact with average kids. That's what they need to learn most - patience. Patience for all of the people who totally misunderstand them like yourself, patience for people who think they're just being wiseguys and smart asses when they answer questions correctly almost 100% of the time, patience for dealing with badly behaved whiny, immature average kids, and patience in a classroom filled with what are to them slow kids who take months to learn to add 2+2.

Susan, you're to be commended on trying to help your kid(s). But I could have told you what you're up against with other people who are ignorant, jealous, and haven't a clue. Try reading "Guiding the Gifted Child" - it will help you navigate for your kids at least through the school system.

Attempting a club of sorts for these types of kids will draw a lot of ridicule from others, and already has. What is more likely to happen is that you'll figure out in your school system who's who and take it from there and become socially involved with the other families who have kids like yours. That's what happened with us and the IG program in Three Village, and we're still friends with these families and their kids, and it's been about 15 years we've known these families, and now all of our kids are out of school and young adults.

As far as dealing with jealous, nasty people - ignore them, and if you can, try and avoid them as much as possible. Don't go out of your way to let them know you have a smart kid - not a good idea. They have nothing whatsoever to do with you and your family.

Last edited by AndreaII; 06-11-2010 at 08:09 PM..

Old 06-11-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Yes. That is exactly what is needed, but that is not what they get. New York State does not mandate any funding for gifted education, so parents are left to deal with it themselves. Some schools have these so called "gifted" classes that start in 3rd grade and pull small groups of children out a couple of times a week and they do some sort of "enrichment" activity, many don't even have that. The issue is, gifted children who are functioning 1-3 grade levels ahead of their peers are not gifted 2 times a week for 45 minutes. This is entirely insufficient and unfair to them. Why should they have to sit in a class basically reviewing material they mastered a year or two ago?
Would a 10th grader be happy practicing 7th grade math skills for several hours a day? If so, what would their behavior look like in that situation? Most likely they would be a behavior problem, or they would mentally check-out and not do much of anything but daydream.
Long Island has one school for the gifted, but it costs around $14,000 a year and up to send your child there. I'm paying $10,000 a year in property taxes and I don't have an extra $14,000 to pay for my child's education. If he were disabled, he would get services. If he didn't speak English, he would get services. But he learns too fast, so it's... "too bad for you kid- you think you're better than everyone else - guess you should try learning a little slower". Under IDEA, all children are entitled to a "Free and Appropriate Education" - all children that is except those who learn too fast.
Whether people understand this or not, the fact is these children REALLY do have SPECIAL needs. And how foolish is it to not help them develop their abilities to their full potential? These are the children who could grow up and do truly great things- cure diseases, solve energy problems, improve technology, etc. Instead we choose to stifle, ridicule, mock and ignore them as if they don't exist. Acknowledging that someone has an intellectual gift is not putting down the rest of the population, or suggesting that others can't achieve the same things. The point is...all children should be helped in reaching their full potential, not just special needs kids, typical kids, and ESL kids.
Susan, you need to take a look at some of my posts - I've written many about gifted and talented - my two kids were in the IG program in Three Village. In my opinion it's the best one in public school because it's self-contained - all the kids in the program do very well because they're around like-minded kids.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Susan, you need to take a look at some of my posts - I've written many about gifted and talented - my two kids were in the IG program in Three Village. In my opinion it's the best one in public school because it's self-contained - all the kids in the program do very well because they're around like-minded kids.
Thank you very much Andrea. Would you mind if I contacted you for advice in the future?

Old 06-11-2010, 09:22 PM

8 posts, read 29,227 times
Susan:

I really would like to contact you about the group. I'd rather talk with you offline than deal with some of the ignorant nonsense that's being posted here. Is there a way to contact you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island