Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 11:49 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't worry so much about snooty/snobby attitudes, you will encounter that wherever you go on Long Island. Seriously. You cited Cold Spring Harbor so I'll use that as an example - yes there are snobby people there. But there are just as many who aren't. And $900K for a house is still a lot of money, even by Long Island standards, so you are looking at an upper-middle class town - or section of town - wherever you land. Know what I mean? It's all about finding people with the same mindset as you. You WILL find that. I live in Garden City which plenty of people here will tell you is totally snobby town. Yes, there is that element. But I have plenty of down-to-earth, normal friends.

I grew up in Huntington and it has a great, walkable downtown. Tons to do with or without the kids. There isn't a ton of housing stock within walking distance, but it does exist. I would look into the West Neck area with your budget. Greenlawn has a smaller downtown, cute though, and you'd still be close to Huntington.

Everyone thinks the schools here on Long Island are just the greatest thing since sliced bread and you won't have trouble getting into a good district on your budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 11:50 AM

And Big MIke did not relocate to NoVA. He is south of Richmond if I'm not mistaken.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:57 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onrway2clt View Post
You want to spend 875k+ and want to avoid people with material items? Not sure if that is possible.
I don't "want" to spend $875K but we will if it gets us into a 4 BR 2 BA house (we have 3 kids) in a good school district. If $675K or $575K does that, then it's even better. We value a good education and would like to be in the majority in that regard but we don't value the latest and greatest things or like to spoil our children. I enjoy yard sales, thrift stores and have a small business selling on eBay. I'd want to be comfortable telling people that.

Perhaps I am overestimating the cost of living on Long Island? Here in my town in NoVa, $875K will buy you a 1980s 4 BR colonial that could probably use some updating. But we are a fairly close-in suburb and perhaps that's the difference in cost. I'll be glad to find out that it costs less than I think! Of course, I know that taxes are crazy high - almost double what we pay so his salary - that we don't know yet - may not go as far as I think.

Last edited by michgc; 06-11-2010 at 12:22 PM..

Old 06-11-2010, 12:15 PM

You can get a 4BR 2BA house in your price range within a commutable distance to Jericho. Should not be a problem.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:23 PM

748 posts, read 2,888,487 times
I live in Jericho, and have heard of some people say that about Jericho. I have heard there are people who are into designer clothing, lexus cars etc, ( even if they cannot afford it and take out home equity to afford those). But I do not find that is the case here in general. People with 10 year old cars are quite abundant here too. I myself have a 10 year old car.

Another thing to note is that there is a large amount of Asian population ( primarily Indian, Chinese and Korean) moving into Nassau neighborhoods, probably a migration from Queens. This is especially true of the top school districts like Jericho, Herricks, and Syosset, as Asians seek out higher performing districts. As far as culture goes, you will generally find Asians to be thrifty with money and more interested in saving for college and purchasing whole-life insurance than buying designer clothing and fancy cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Thanks for your opinions. I think I will look a bit in Nassau, too. I put $875 there because if we found the perfect place, we'd be willing to go that high (based on what we think we can sell our house for here in NoVA and our best guess of salary), but we'd be perfectly happy, or actually happier, spending $675. What I was worried about in Nassau County is the snobbiness/spoiled attitude that is stereotypical Long Island. I don't want to live in a place where the kids are all in designer clothes, getting new cars for their 16th birthday, buying the latest iPhones, etc. I was hoping to avoid that some by going out to Suffolk but maybe that's not the case. Down-to-earth people as neighbors/classmates is very important to me. When people ask me where I bought the cute skirt my daughter's wearing and I answer "Goodwill" I don't want them to look aghast. Does that change any of your suggestions?

Old 06-11-2010, 12:37 PM

549 posts, read 2,194,570 times
Quote:
I don't "want" to spend $875K but we will if it gets us into a 4 BR 2 BA house (we have 3 kids) in a good school district. If $675K or $575K does that, then it's even better. We value a good education and would like to be in the majority in that regard but we don't value the latest and greatest things or like to spoil our children. I enjoy yard sales, thrift stores and have a small business selling on eBay. I'd want to be comfortable telling people that.

Perhaps I am overestimating the cost of living on Long Island? Here in my town in NoVa, $875K will buy you a 1980s 4 BR colonial that could probably use some updating. But we are a fairly close-in suburb and perhaps that's the difference in cost. I'll be glad to find out that it costs less than I think! Of course, I know that taxes are crazy high - almost double what we pay so his salary - that we don't know yet - may not go as far as I think.
I think you can get a really nice home in a good school district for 650k.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:04 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
You may want to look in Massapequa too.
The Massapequa area includes the Hamlet of Massapequa, the Hamlet of East Massapequa, the Hamlet of North Massapequa and the Village of Massapequa Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Massapequa Park has a charming little village.
All of Massapequa Park, every itty bitty square inch of it, IS a village.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:05 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Welcome to Long Island! It's a great place to live and no, I didn't grow up here ; it has become my second home!

Sounds like Greenlawn and Northport would work really well for you - and both are close to Huntington for extra events, dining, etc., etc.

Greenlawn is either Elwood or Harborfields Schools. Both have diversity, as does Northport.

For your price range, there are plenty of homes available - different styles and size properties. In Greenlawn, you'll generally get more land for your money; Northport is closer to the water, so that is often reflected in the price...

Old 06-11-2010, 01:49 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
At least now I know why my ears have been ringing all day

Yes I did the reversal, I moved from L.I. to VA. but like someone mentioned just south of Richmond. I really like NOVA but found it to expensive for what I was looking for.

Michgc you could DM at anytime. I'll give you the real unbiased info you need or at least some advice good or bad

Old 06-11-2010, 02:11 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:

How about Sea Cliff on the north shore of Nassau? Really good school district, sweet little village, not pretentious (plenty of old painted lady victorians rather than McMansions) and you would probably get a nice home for the lower end of your budget.

That's interesting about NOVA taxes. There are people who have posted on here who support the high real estate taxes on LI and SWEAR that the reason people in NOVA never complain about real estate taxes is because "they value education" (in contrast to what they consider "low-brow LI'ers"). They never mention that the real estate taxes are half of what LI's are (and thus people in NOVA have a lot less reason to complain in the first place).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island