Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 09:22 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Exactly. The loud pipes are just for the "look at me! look at me!" factor. Just like the jerks with their compact cars that sound like a huge sewing machine...

These same idiots with the loud pipes are the same idiots who will be doing 100+MPH, zipping in and out of traffic, riding between cars, and all this other nonsense. But they have loud pipes so they'll be "safe" and "people can see them".
The ones on the crotch rockets are the types doing the zipping and weaving. They tend not to have the loud pipes. That doesn't mean that some of the bikers with loud pipes aren't doing it; they tend to be in the minority.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:49 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
It was 1230am... we are currently residing on a double-yellow line road so we know what to expect during the day but some ass on a bike decides to run it loud straight down the road at midnight. A full minute later I am still hearing his exhaust as he's circling the blocks for some reason only known to him. No common decency. BTW, sport bikes at least sound better than these farting Harleys.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:54 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey95 View Post
uhhh, it's LEGAL to ride in the back of trucks like that in most circumstances....
That's hard to believe. For what it's worth, a friend of mine in NJ says its illegal there. I've never seen it out there, either.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:20 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times
it's always hilarious to see people who don't know what it is to be on the road where everyone is trying to kill you, try to complain about your prevention.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:17 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Exactly. The loud pipes are just for the "look at me! look at me!" factor. Just like the jerks with their compact cars that sound like a huge sewing machine...

These same idiots with the loud pipes are the same idiots who will be doing 100+MPH, zipping in and out of traffic, riding between cars, and all this other nonsense. But they have loud pipes so they'll be "safe" and "people can see them".
Dumbest post of the day. The ones zipping in and out of traffic tend to be street/race bikes which tend NOT to be very loud and are rarely customized. They are sleek and fast. The LOUD bikes tend to be cruisers or choppers where the person sits back in a more cruise-like position and rarely zips in and out of lanes because the bike isn't designed for that. These bikes are much more individualized and personalized with lots of chrome and loud pipes are part of the style.

They also offer protection from the drivers who roll through stop signs all over LI. Not much protection, but some.

Plus they annoy namby-pamby little dweebs like you which is the best benefit of all!!

Old 06-17-2010, 07:31 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Dumbest post of the day. The ones zipping in and out of traffic tend to be street/race bikes which tend NOT to be very loud and are rarely customized. They are sleek and fast. The LOUD bikes tend to be cruisers or choppers where the person sits back in a more cruise-like position and rarely zips in and out of lanes because the bike isn't designed for that. These bikes are much more individualized and personalized with lots of chrome and loud pipes are part of the style.

They also offer protection from the drivers who roll through stop signs all over LI. Not much protection, but some.

Plus they annoy namby-pamby little dweebs like you which is the best benefit of all!!
You choose to ride a motorcycle. Your neighbors don't choose to be woken up at midnight when you come home, or when you wake up someones baby at 6am revving your adolescent fantasy because it makes you feel all tingly inside and you like when people turn their heads when you drive down the street. Motorcycle tough guys seem to think the world needs to cater to their desires to express machismo as opposed to the human need to SLEEP.

And someone earlier said something about heavy bass car stereos, "why don't you go after them?"

You see, to the rest of the world that happens to be grown up, you're exactly the same as those guys, except that the cars with ridiculous sub-woofers are usually driven by people under 25, so there is at least some explanation for their rudeness and childishness. How do you explain a fat bald middle aged guy with a pony tail making all kinds of infernal racket, dressed up like an S&M pansy? Stunted mental growth?

Last edited by dman72; 06-17-2010 at 07:42 AM..

Old 06-17-2010, 07:37 AM

316 posts, read 989,585 times
I love the sound of a v-twin, however, loud pipes are NOT heard by others driving cars (windows up, tuneskis up) - not until you are right on top of them. They are mostly heard by those living nearby, hence the complaining. For safety: full-face helmet, skins, lights. I'm a cyclist and I wear hi-vis and ride by this credo: noone can see me, and everyone wants to kill me.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boan View Post
I love the sound of a v-twin, however, loud pipes are NOT heard by others driving cars (windows up, tuneskis up) - not until you are right on top of them. They are mostly heard by those living nearby, hence the complaining. For safety: full-face helmet, skins, lights. I'm a cyclist and I wear hi-vis and ride by this credo: noone can see me, and everyone wants to kill me.

Using the justification of the tubby Harley guys, you should ride around with one of those horns that they use at the World Cup and blow it all the time so that people know where you are....loud horns save lives.

We all know the truth is that Harley guys ride these bikes because they want people to think they are bad a**, "born to be wild", and making a racket and drawing attention to themselves is part of that inclination. It has little or nothing to do with safety.

YouTube - The F Word (South Park Commentary - Season 13)

Old 06-17-2010, 07:53 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Using the justification of the tubby Harley guys, you should ride around with one of those horns that they use at the World Cup and blow it all the time so that people know where you are....loud horns save lives.

We all know the truth is that Harley guys ride these bikes because they want people to think they are bad a**, "born to be wild", and making a racket and drawing attention to themselves is part of that inclination. It has little or nothing to do with safety.

YouTube - The F Word (South Park Commentary - Season 13)
vuvuzela.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
vuvuzela.
Right, you guys are annoying as the people blowing those things. And you know it has nothing to do with "prevention", other than preventing people from ignoring you.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island