Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:56 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
It was 1230am... we are currently residing on a double-yellow line road so we know what to expect during the day but some ass on a bike decides to run it loud straight down the road at midnight. A full minute later I am still hearing his exhaust as he's circling the blocks for some reason only known to him. No common decency. BTW, sport bikes at least sound better than these farting Harleys.
Would you advocate curfews for those who don't ride as you do?

Old 06-17-2010, 08:08 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,031,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Would you advocate curfews for those who don't ride as you do?

It's called a "noise ordinance". You can be out as late as you want, you just can't go around yelling/blasting your subwoofer/riding a bike that produces 110 db at 100 yards distance, etc. It's called common sense, which you seem to normally have a considerable amount of aside from your positions on this issue. The same would apply to a guy driving a car with headers putting out ungodly decibel levels.

Noise is a known cause of physical stress, it's not the same thing as not being able to accept someone having purple hair..it isn't just about esthetics, although fat guys with pony tails and leather jackets and the requisite cow on the back sporting a tramp stamp are tacky, no doubt.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:10 AM

290 posts, read 583,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
That's hard to believe. For what it's worth, a friend of mine in NJ says its illegal there. I've never seen it out there, either.
Well, John, your friend in Jersey is just that: IN JERSEY....You, however, are in NY -- VTL reads that for distances under, I believe 5 miles, are exempt.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:41 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
Some of these bikers are ridiculous with their loud bikes. Why doesn't law enforcement take action against them?

And don't give me that BS about loud bikes save lives. If that were the case why don't these safety conscious bikers wear bright safety vests and full helmets and safety clothing?
Why doesn't law enforcement take action against your loud mouth?

Old 06-17-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak0lantern01 View Post
Why doesn't law enforcement take action against your loud mouth?

If it generates 115db at 12Am, it should.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:18 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It's called a "noise ordinance". You can be out as late as you want, you just can't go around yelling/blasting your subwoofer/riding a bike that produces 110 db at 100 yards distance, etc. It's called common sense, which you seem to normally have a considerable amount of aside from your positions on this issue. The same would apply to a guy driving a car with headers putting out ungodly decibel levels.

Noise is a known cause of physical stress, it's not the same thing as not being able to accept someone having purple hair..it isn't just about esthetics, although fat guys with pony tails and leather jackets and the requisite cow on the back sporting a tramp stamp are tacky, no doubt.
The bottomline is normally a person rides by and is gone. rh pointed out what was an exception, and not the rule.

I live in an area which (until the recent FAA rerouting) had more issues with low flying, Hamptons bound helicopters than bikes. The helicopters were given a pass (after all the clients had $) while bikers are perceived as being poor and lower class and thus worthy of ticketing while the rich in the air can air pollute?

If the biker is revving in one place, or in rh's case circling and creating a constant noise problem that is an issue. I can appreciate rh's concern.

Why is it that a lot of folks who complain about bikes are the same ones operating power washers, leaf blowers, lawn mowers, tuning up boat motors in their driveways, have kids screetching, dogs barking, etc, early in the morning until late in the evening? What makes their constant barrage of noise any better than a bike driving by?

What's worse? One bike passing through and experiencing the dopler effect as if approaches and then passes, or a lawn mower at 7 AM on a Saturday or Sunday?

As you've written, noise causes physical stress. Prolonged exposure to a noise even more so.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:23 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,239 times
Quote:
The bottomline is normally a person rides by and is gone. rh pointed out what was an exception, and not the rule.

I live in an area which (until the recent FAA rerouting) had more issues with low flying, Hamptons bound helicopters than bikes. The helicopters were given a pass (after all the clients had $) while bikers are perceived as being poor and lower class and thus worthy of ticketing while the rich in the air can air pollute?

If the biker is revving in one place, or in rh's case circling and creating a constant noise problem that is an issue. I can appreciate rh's concern.

Why is it that a lot of folks who complain about bikes are the same ones operating power washers, leaf blowers, lawn mowers, tuning up boat motors in their driveways, have kids screetching, dogs barking, etc, early in the morning until late in the evening? What makes their constant barrage of noise any better than a bike driving by?

What's worse? One bike passing through and experiencing the dopler effect as if approaches and then passes, or a lawn mower at 7 AM on a Saturday or Sunday?

As you've written, noise causes physical stress. Prolonged exposure to a noise even more so.
nobody makes a leaf blower louder on purpose...

Old 06-17-2010, 09:25 AM

456 posts, read 1,122,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
nobody makes a leaf blower louder on purpose...
You don't have to worry about getting killed while using your leaf blower by someone texting and drinking a cup of coffee.

It's for safety. If they can hear you, then they will know that you are there. Too many people don't pay attention to what they are doing when they are driving and bikers get killed as a result.

I don't know how they can even ride on Long Island.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:

How do you know that people on this site complaining about these bikes do any of the things you describe? That's called a "red herring". It has nothing to to with the argument at hand. Using a leaf blower at 6AM is exactly the same thing as revving a motorcycle at 6AM.

If someone decides to walk down 'Port with a leaf blower blasting when they are trying to enjoy their day, everyone will think he's a jerk, the same way we all think that a dozen clowns coming into town on their noisemakers are a bunch of childish jerks, or a kid with his windows rolled down blasting 4 letter hip hop is a childish jerk. You guys/people just don't seem to get it. There's no persecution here, you're just REALLY REALLY annoying and nobody thinks it's cool.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:31 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
You don't have to worry about getting killed while using your leaf blower by someone texting and drinking a cup of coffee

It's for safety.
you don't have to be on a bike at all. If you were REALLY concerned about safety, you'd travel in something with a roof and doors.

Quote:
If they can hear you, then they will know that you are there. Too many people don't pay attention to what they are doing when they are driving and bikers get killed as a result. I don't know how they can even ride on Long Island.
yet somehow they find the courage to go on.
can't be that hard....there doesn't seem to be any shortage of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island