Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 04:42 PM

162 posts, read 383,318 times

Advertisements

south of atlantic is baldwin harbor, north of atlantic is baldwin. north baldwin is right wouth of south hempstead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 05:04 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
North of Sunrise Highway is North Baldwin and South of Sunrise Highway is South Baldwin, as stated correctly by Mike.
So, let me see if I got this straight: the part of the Hamlet of Baldwin that is north of Sunrise Highway is colloquially known as North Baldwin and the part of the Hamlet of Baldwin between Sunrise Highway, on the north, and Atlantic Avenue, on the south, is colloquially known as South Baldwin; and, according to the Nassau County Planning Commission and the Census Bureau, south of Atlantic Avenue is the separate Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:08 PM

372 posts, read 740,381 times
Freeport is not that bad, well maybe it is if you are afraid of Black people. As for shootings, that may happen maybe once a year in the North east section. The area is not worst, but it isnt the best.

If I were to buy in Freeport it would be in the beautiful Stearn's Park section in NW freeport (much of that area goes to Baldwin Schools). The areas west of long beach and south of Atlantic are nice as well.

As for the schools, they are not bad, but Like a previous poster has stated, the test scores are low because the new hispanic immigrants can not read english well enough to take the test. Many people that I've graduated with have gone to Harvard, Princeton Yale etc.

As for Baldwin, I've never lived there, but most of the people I know who live there are well to do. I believe the only reason people say the area is bad is because the resident's shade of skin.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:44 AM

456 posts, read 1,122,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
So, let me see if I got this straight: the part of the Hamlet of Baldwin that is north of Sunrise Highway is colloquially known as North Baldwin and the part of the Hamlet of Baldwin between Sunrise Highway, on the north, and Atlantic Avenue, on the south, is colloquially known as South Baldwin; and, according to the Nassau County Planning Commission and the Census Bureau, south of Atlantic Avenue is the separate Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor.
I grew up around this area and this is how we referred to it. I don't think anyone was really thinking of Census Bureaus and Planning Commissions and the like. If you talk to locals, they will break it up by Sunrise Highway.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I don't think anyone was really thinking of Census Bureaus and Planning Commissions and the like. If you talk to locals, they will break it up by Sunrise Highway.
Is that because the high-priced teachers in the gov't schools are themselves geographic illiterates and thus unable to teach correct local geography?

Old 06-20-2010, 01:42 PM

4 posts, read 13,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnalsI gnoL View Post
Freeport is not that bad, well maybe it is if you are afraid of Black people. As for shootings, that may happen maybe once a year in the North east section. The area is not worst, but it isnt the best.

If I were to buy in Freeport it would be in the beautiful Stearn's Park section in NW freeport (much of that area goes to Baldwin Schools). The areas west of long beach and south of Atlantic are nice as well.

As for the schools, they are not bad, but Like a previous poster has stated, the test scores are low because the new hispanic immigrants can not read english well enough to take the test. Many people that I've graduated with have gone to Harvard, Princeton Yale etc.

As for Baldwin, I've never lived there, but most of the people I know who live there are well to do. I believe the only reason people say the area is bad is because the resident's shade of skin.
I agree 100% with this quote. I moved to Baldwin 3 years ago and love it. Prior to that I was focused my housing search on the Stern's Park section of Freeport, especially the "state streets" i.e. Deleware, Connecticut, Penn. etc. The school districts vary in this area, most homes are in Freeport, some in Baldwin, and some are even in Roosevelt.

Many people on this site consider an area "bad" when people of color move into the area, which is really sad. My neighborhood in North Baldwin is very diverse and a NICE place to live. All of my neighbors keep their property up to par, they are pleasant, their children are respectful, they don't have loud parties or bbq's, and that's all you can ask for.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Is that because the high-priced teachers in the gov't schools are themselves geographic illiterates and thus unable to teach correct local geography?
Is that really called for? Does every thread have to turn into a "teachers suck" diatribe?

Old 06-20-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Is that really called for? Does every thread have to turn into a "teachers suck" diatribe?
From personal experience: I pointed out to a teacher in one of the premier school districts that the local geography text she was using, written by two teachers in Suffolk County, had more than 30 errors of fact and her reply was that she didn't care and would teach the textbook, errors and all.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:05 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnalsI gnoL View Post

Open your eyes and look around the crappy parts of Freeport. Central American gangbangers and illegal aliens all over the place. That's what makes Freeport "bad." Just like in Hempstead, the blacks with two nickels to rub together are fleeing the area, and rightfully so. This has nothing to do with "black people." It has to do with criminals who enter and stay in this country illegally (illegal aliens) and criminals whose whole lives are based on illegal and violent activity (gangbangers).

Old 06-20-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
From personal experience: I pointed out to a teacher in one of the premier school districts that the local geography text she was using, written by two teachers in Suffolk County, had more than 30 errors of fact and her reply was that she didn't care and would teach the textbook, errors and all.
Seriously, if there is to be a geography teacher period it needs to be you because you're the best at it!!!! Maybe you can go in as a guest speaker to social studies classes, seriously. I would invite you to physics, but you would need to talk about physics LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island