Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 12:19 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,747,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
We're ONLY number 3?

OMG! ***panics***

Tell me who exactly is ahead of us! We have to knock them out of the game!

We need to be the YANKEES of segregation or I am just going to get out of this useless place! WE should be the champions!

Rofl! I read it in an articlre in Newsday. I'll have to look it up. Funny comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 12:33 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,178,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Rofl! I read it in an articlre in Newsday. I'll have to look it up. Funny comments.
Please do!

Old 08-27-2010, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,983 times
best area to live in levittown, ny

Old 08-28-2010, 05:21 PM

19,579 posts, read 20,401,433 times
I'm pro segregation.
I don't think cats and dogs should live together.
When I was growing up my cats and dogs fought like, uh, cats and dogs.
It was crazy.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:26 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,553,318 times
Originally Posted by uncleruckus8
JDMA can you please elaborate on what makes North Baldwin bad? Drove through that town and I have seen some pretty nice homes in the area.
Quote from Uncleruckus: JDMA can you please elaborate on what makes North Baldwin bad? Drove through that town and I have seen some pretty nice homes in the area
JDMA can you please elaborate on what makes North Baldwin bad? Drove through that town and I have seen some pretty nice homes in the area.

Quote from JDMBA: If you are a middle class black family, it's a great area. Well kept homes. If you are white, you might be uncomfortable since you will be the minority and it would be a bad choice. If you don't mind being the only white family, then you are fine. People differ on this.

Maybe I'm a little "slow". Still trying to determine how that makes the neighborhood "bad". Is the fact that a White family will be a minority in a neighborhood (that reportedly is a great are with well-kept homes and presumably quiet) criteria that Whites use to label a neighborhood bad?

Old 07-16-2011, 03:59 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,553,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
BINGO!

EXACTLY! Because the LI mindset of old which still prevails to some degree is "blacks are what causes BAD neighborhoods in the first place so they should stick together."

Well, regarding the sentiment of the LI mindset of old, it has some truth to it. Most Black neighborhoods have only about 50% of the homes well-maintained, it's usually loud (music and people talking-yelling), too busy (people constantly hanging out and/or walking up and down the street), and violence is common place (from fights to gun shots), and the police is constantly called or patroling the neighborhood. Not to mention too many various types of churches all over the place that seem to be powerless in being able to impact the moral lifestyles of the people. That being said, that fits most Black neighborhoods but not ALL. The Black neighborhoods that have been mentioned south of Merrick Rd and south of Atlantic Ave have none of the negative traits mentioned. Why that particular neighborhood was labeled as "bad" by the poster even though they have none of those traits is very puzzling. It doesn't reflect the Black neighborhood in that area.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:21 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,310,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Quote from Uncleruckus: JDMA can you please elaborate on what makes North Baldwin bad? Drove through that town and I have seen some pretty nice homes in the area

Quote from JDMBA: If you are a middle class black family, it's a great area. Well kept homes. If you are white, you might be uncomfortable since you will be the minority and it would be a bad choice. If you don't mind being the only white family, then you are fine. People differ on this.

Maybe I'm a little "slow". Still trying to determine how that makes the neighborhood "bad". Is the fact that a White family will be a minority in a neighborhood (that reportedly is a great are with well-kept homes and presumably quiet) criteria that Whites use to label a neighborhood bad?
I've been there[North Baldwin], the area looks fine.

The area has solid middle class/upper middle class income levels.
Reference: Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com
(^^ Click on 'view more maps', then income then search Baldwin)

In a good-performing School District.
Reference: Baldwin Union Free School District in Baldwin, NY | GreatSchools
Reference: http://www.newsday.com/long-island/e...icts-1.1802665

It's probably for racial reasons why most people would look down upon this area. I don't like to bring up race but that is the only reason that I can think of why people would judge this area so harshly.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:44 PM

449 posts, read 1,127,408 times
I went to a summer day camp in Baldwin when I was 13. There was a large amount of kids from both Freeport and Baldwin. The kids from Freeport were always talking about how they went to the ghetto school. But there was a prostitute that hung around in front of the camp looking for work in the middle of the day. So obviously both town arent the best. But It's not really east-west that defines how bad a place is: it's north to south. South of merrick is always the safest. IN-BETWEEN sunrise and merrick is always the worst part for most of the nassau south shore IMO.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:14 PM

194 posts, read 442,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
I went to a summer day camp in Baldwin when I was 13. There was a large amount of kids from both Freeport and Baldwin. The kids from Freeport were always talking about how they went to the ghetto school. But there was a prostitute that hung around in front of the camp looking for work in the middle of the day. So obviously both town arent the best. But It's not really east-west that defines how bad a place is: it's north to south. South of merrick is always the safest. IN-BETWEEN sunrise and merrick is always the worst part for most of the nassau south shore IMO.
Could you please elaborate about these so-called "worst" areas between Sunrise and Merrrick Road in Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Baldwin, Rockville Centre and, Lynbrook? Even Freeport, which I'm assuming is your main target, is mostly commercial within the grid you defined.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:32 PM

449 posts, read 1,127,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperman1111 View Post
Could you please elaborate about these so-called "worst" areas between Sunrise and Merrrick Road in Massapequa Park, Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Merrick, Baldwin, Rockville Centre and, Lynbrook? Even Freeport, which I'm assuming is your main target, is mostly commercial within the grid you defined.
That area is usually the poorest, and throughout Baldwin the houses in that area seemed run-down compared to other sides, as goes for the other towns. I lived in central massapequa, and yes that area is much more run-down then the other sides. Freeport is mostly commercial in that area, thus It is a little uncomfortable (mostly apt buildings, thus poor, and poor often equals unsafe). I guess what I'm trying to say is that If I had to walk through Freeport or Baldwin at night, I'd feel more comfortable north of sunrise or south of merrick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island