Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 06:52 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times

Advertisements

Italians are the most prevalent, but not a majority. The same map you probably saw shows that the predominant ethnic background in Queens is African American, but they aren't close to a majority and Queens is the most racially diverse county in the country, if not the world.

I'm part Italian, and sometimes living on LI, it FEELS like there is a majority Italian Americans, with all the loud mouth wannabe mobsters and pizza places. Especially in the center and South "Show-wu"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 06:52 AM

405 posts, read 1,163,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
So, then they are just American then? Born and raised here all their lives.
Let's put it this way:

I'm a proud American of Italian decent. I was born in NYC, I speak, and think in English. If I travel out of the USA I carry an American passport. I pay taxes to the US Federal Government, as well as the State of NY and other local governments. I am an American and damn thankful for it.

My ancestors came to this country from Italy. They brought with them strong values and desire to succeed. They taught me wonderful traditions of food and language that they brought with them from the old country, traditions that are respected to this day. They were also proud to be Americans and were thrilled to part of the American society.

Now, if that's not good enough for you, we'll make a few phone calls and handle it another way....

Old 06-15-2010, 07:16 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
Let's put it this way:

I'm a proud American of Italian decent. I was born in NYC, I speak, and think in English. If I travel out of the USA I carry an American passport. I pay taxes to the US Federal Government, as well as the State of NY and other local governments. I am an American and damn thankful for it.

My ancestors came to this country from Italy. They brought with them strong values and desire to succeed. They taught me wonderful traditions of food and language that they brought with them from the old country, traditions that are respected to this day. They were also proud to be Americans and were thrilled to part of the American society.

Now, if that's not good enough for you, we'll make a few phone calls and handle it another way....

Right, you are an American with an Italian descent, just like you said. You are not Italian-America, European-American, whatever.

You are just American with a history.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:25 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Italian-Americans never move. They live at their parents house until it becomes theirs and then raise their kids there.

Plus, LI is close to such Italian-American bastions like Massapequa and Howard Beach. They wouldn't know what to do without such places.
lol maybe in the 1950's. I moved out @ 19. I don't live anywhere near Massaguido or Howard Spiaggia. To all my fellow Italians .....

No grazie, non ne voglio dell'altro. Sto bene cos`i.

Ok with that being said.......soon BigMike is going to change Italian food in the Richmond area for good Food with authentic Italian flavor! I just hope these grits, pull pork, pig pickin, cat fish, chit'lins eating people realize this

Old 06-15-2010, 07:41 AM

405 posts, read 1,163,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
So selecting Micky Dee's as a food choice means that you have come up in the world?
Actually most Italian americans eat fairly well by today's standards.

no study to site here just personal observation.
It's not meant literally, it's meant as a contrastive illustration of American and Italian.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:55 AM

964 posts, read 2,461,817 times
I was born in the US, but my parents were both born and raised in Italy. I spent a great deal of time there growing up and Italian is my first language since it was spoken at home. Personally, I feel more Italian than American, and I'm fine with that. I'll always be thankful for the US and the opportunities it gave to me and my family, but the tradition, food, music, literature, arts, sport, etc. from Italy are a big part of my life.

For example, the World Cup is going on right now. I grew up watching Italian soccer as a kid here in the US, and love the Italian national team. That's whats in my heart. I actually cheer Italy above all other teams, even the US. I wish more Italians had a closer connection with the motherland, but I can totally understand wanting to Americanize after a few generations. It's inevitable frankly.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
I was born in the US, but my parents were both born and raised in Italy. I spent a great deal of time there growing up and Italian is my first language since it was spoken at home. Personally, I feel more Italian than American, and I'm fine with that. I'll always be thankful for the US and the opportunities it gave to me and my family, but the tradition, food, music, literature, arts, sport, etc. from Italy are a big part of my life.

For example, the World Cup is going on right now. I grew up watching Italian soccer as a kid here in the US, and love the Italian national team. That's whats in my heart. I actually cheer Italy above all other teams, even the US. I wish more Italians had a closer connection with the motherland, but I can totally understand wanting to Americanize after a few generations. It's inevitable frankly.
Azzurrony.... esattamente

Old 06-15-2010, 08:07 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
lol maybe in the 1950's. I moved out @ 19. I don't live anywhere near Massaguido or Howard Spiaggia. To all my fellow Italians .....

No grazie, non ne voglio dell'altro. Sto bene cos`i.

Ok with that being said.......soon BigMike is going to change Italian food in the Richmond area for good Food with authentic Italian flavor! I just hope these grits, pull pork, pig pickin, cat fish, chit'lins eating people realize this
Where in Richmond? My family lives in Chesterfield and they have ZERO Italian places. Sure they have places that throw sauce on dough and call it pizza but it sucks.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Where in Richmond? My family lives in Chesterfield and they have ZERO Italian places. Sure they have places that throw sauce on dough and call it pizza but it sucks.
I'm in Chesterfield.....That's what I'm saying, there is great opportunity here if you can make good Italian food. I'm working on opening a place with two others and they are both from NY also.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:27 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,025 times
Italians tend to live in Basements until well into adulthood....Many other places don't have basements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island