Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 04:15 PM

537 posts, read 1,448,502 times

Advertisements

Are you ******** kidding me? 93.52%? Is this some sort of belated April Fools joke?

LOL yeah RIGHT.

May had to be the worst freakin' month EVER in regards to delays. I remember my 5:53 out of Penn to Ronkonkoma had a week where it was delayed 4 out of the 5 days straight. One time it was delayed for a freakin' hour because they had to BACK UP and the idiot conductors couldn't figure out how to do it properly.

Not to mention it seems like more than HALF of my morning Bethpage to Penn trains have the little LATE 8 MINS on the board when I get there. I almost EXPECT them to be late every morning.

Notice how they didn't make some gloating comment like how great they were this month compared to last? That's because they SUCKED. And they know it!

And that number doesn't include all the Amtrak broken rails, police activity, track jumpers, and conductors that have no clue how to back up a train. All things that LIRR can easily blame their crappy service on (thus not counting it towards the OTP stats).

LIRR: You ******* FAILED in May. BIGTIME.
Attached Thumbnails
LIRR May On Time Performance: 93.52% - LLLLMMMMAAAAOOOOOOO-photo.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 04:20 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
I do remember one particularly hellish week in May. Seemed like there were signal/switch problems every day.

Hopefully June is better.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:27 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Is LIRR still the most expensive commuter railroad in the country?

I hope not because they blow worse than ever.

Late ... unfortunately, that's a given!

Now that we are in hot season, we can always count on at least 1 or more roasting cars with no A/C.

Last night I was in a warm one but thankfully it wasn't hot out, so the car was just kind of stuffy. It wasn't broken either. They just didn't bother to put it on. I know that because I mentioned to the conductor it was a little warm and ... voila! ... after we left Jamaica, the A/C comes on ...

Old 06-17-2010, 04:39 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Check the fine print... pretty sure they consider themselves "on time" if they arrive within like 5min59secs of the expected arrival time.

P.S. LIRR blows... nothing new.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Check the fine print... pretty sure they consider themselves "on time" if they arrive within like 5min59secs of the expected arrival time.

P.S. LIRR blows... nothing new.
True. They game the system in their favor and they STILL don't get perfect numbers, do they?

P.S. I bet you are glad you don't have to ride it!

Old 06-17-2010, 04:51 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
True. They game the system in their favor and they STILL don't get perfect numbers, do they?

P.S. I bet you are glad you don't have to ride it!
I paid my dues riding it for 10+ years and I don't miss it for sure.

I don't want to pull a "back in the day" rant, but it all went downhill when they tried to phase out the diesel cars with those double-deckers. It all seemed to become a money pit and swirling into darkness at that time... I have many fond memories of drinking beer and smoking butts between cars back in the day. It all seemed more casual and fun - but probably mostly related to me being young and full of crap. lol

P.S. Not that I'm full of that now!

Old 06-17-2010, 05:04 PM

^^^
I never lived out where I had to take a diesel train, so I don't know that fun.

I did hear that when they bought the new double-deckers the idiots didn't measure the entrance to the tunnel that the LIRR takes under the river and the first double-decker got there on its maiden voyage and it was too tall to fit! Geniuses, I tell ya!

Old 06-17-2010, 06:14 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
I just dont have the late issues that everyone is bitching about here. I am on the train 2 days a week minimum and sometimes 5. Is the Babylon branch out of Massapequa that much better or and I just not as sensitive to it? I am almost always on time it seems unless there is "police Activity"

Old 06-17-2010, 06:19 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I just dont have the late issues that everyone is bitching about here. I am on the train 2 days a week minimum and sometimes 5. Is the Babylon branch out of Massapequa that much better or and I just not as sensitive to it? I am almost always on time it seems unless there is "police Activity"
I'm with you. I'm either on the bayblon line or long beach line and the times my train is late (both morning and evening) are few and far between.

I do think that you're more likely to have problems if you're consistently traveling from further east on the system.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:30 PM

537 posts, read 1,448,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I'm with you. I'm either on the bayblon line or long beach line and the times my train is late (both morning and evening) are few and far between.

I do think that you're more likely to have problems if you're consistently traveling from further east on the system.

I can clarify this. The Babylon line is the BEST line in the system. I rode the Babylon line for three years. The only time you will have problems with the Babylon line is if there is a signal problem at Penn or a tunnel out. That requires cancelling/combining trains and the Babylon and Port Washington lines are always the first togrt cuts.

I rode the Long Beach line for three months. Another good line mainly because a portion of it runs on the Babylon line. It's also short with few stops so less chance of delays. Actually this line may be the best line as they don't run as many of these trains so trains don't usually get cancelled.

Ronkonkoma sucks because it's a surface line. so you get plenty of track jumpers causing problems. They always seem to have problems at Mineola.

And the other big issue with Ronkonkoma is if you have eastbound delays, those same eastbound trains become westbound and during the morning rush that can lead to delays. The line sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island