Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2010, 02:01 PM

43 posts, read 157,003 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Islip and for some crazy reason my mom wants to put her house for rent and move into a house in North Amityville. I've read plenty of threads, and I'm pretty sure it's not a good town. Not too mention it's copiague school district (house is on penndale drive) I drove by the area one time and I didn't like it. Tiny ranches everywhere and I didn't get a good vibe. My mom is closing next week on the house, and has plans on expanding and renovating though I don't think it's the greatest investment. I drove through some other parts of the area down albany ave, and there were lots really nice big homes. Less than a minute away from the house, but looks like a totally different town. People bash copiague and amity harbor though I think those towns are really nice compared to north amityville. Areas like ocean ave are nice, that amityville horror house is for sale. I'm graduating high school so thankfully I don't have to worry about not liking copiague high, but I am going to live home while in college. Should I be worried in terms of safety? What's the area and people like around penndale drive? thanks!

Last edited by jguzman41; 06-19-2010 at 02:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 02:51 PM

311 posts, read 1,019,782 times
It's not the greatest area by any stretch of the imagination. BUT, if you keep to yourself, are respectful of your neighbors, and don't cause any trouble...the odds of anything bad happening to you are 1 in 3 at worst.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:44 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
You can verify if the house your mother wants to move into is in North Amityville ("Amityville, NY 11701" mailing address") or if its in Copiague ("Amityville, NY 11701" mailing address) by plugging in the "street address" and the "ZIP Code" (leaving out the city and state) and hitting "GO" in the Census Bureau's online address search function.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:31 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,884 times
North Amityville does generally have higher crime than most other areas.

But just keep your doors locked and try to convince your mom to get a good home security system and you should be fine in terms of safety.

Also, try to convince your mom to make you go to Private School if you are that afraid of Copiague High.

Good luck

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 06-20-2010 at 08:41 AM..

Old 06-20-2010, 08:57 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Its not the greatest area by any stretch of the imagination, but the rep is worse than what it really is. Going back about 15-20 years ago or so it was a real bad area, but has been cleaned up quite a bit since then. A friend of mine lives a few blocks from where you are talking about, I have been in that area at night on occasion and never ad any issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island