Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 06:21 PM

7 posts, read 16,075 times

Advertisements

Hi...I'm interested in some insight on what this area is like: it's West Babylon, south of the Southern State, between Little East Neck and Belmont (Montgomery, Amsterdam, Lexington etc). We saw some nice houses there but were surprised to hear that they were in the North Babylon school district even though they were in West Babylon. So...in general what is this area like (safe? good quality of life? good place to raise family? etc)...AND more important what are the North Babylon schools like...I was under the impression that West Babylon schools were more highly ranked. How do they compare? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 08:37 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
I live close to that area.

That area is fine. It's a nice middle class area; you shouldn't have any concerns.

The only thing you should keep in mind is that that part of Belmont Avenue doesn't have any stores, so if the house you are considering is closer to Belmont than to Little East Neck Rd then you may have a long long walk!

Belmont Lake State Park is right across the parkway and there is a trail that goes all the way down to Babylon (around Argyle Park).

I graduated from North Babylon High School a few years ago. It's a good school, I really had no complaints. It is DEFINITELY not as bad as the media made it out to be with the Girl Fights and those constant Bomb Threats. Most of the teachers are good, many also live in North Babylon School District so they are more likely to care more about the students.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,203 times
I'm looking to buy a home in West Babylon between Mt and Belmont Ave, what type of area is it in general?

Old 02-20-2013, 07:29 PM

199 posts, read 1,106,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzeyron View Post
I'm looking to buy a home in West Babylon between Mt and Belmont Ave, what type of area is it in general?
i used to live there (governor st area). its a middle class area

the area btwn mount ave and belmont ave is pretty quiet. overall we liked it. i like how it was near the park since i am a very active person. every now and then i used to jog at night and i've never felt unsafe or bothered at all. the whole neighborhood north of the parkway&west of the park is pretty diverse but i dont know what the official numbers are, i think blacks are the biggest group. (South of the parkway is almost all white/italian.)

this has nothing to do with the area in question but last summer there were some issues on a few of the blocks near Straight Path but i believe the person responsible was caught and brought to justice. but that has nothing to do with the area ur wondering about anyways so theres no point in even bringing that up anyways

on the other hand, you do have to drive far to get to most stores which is a bit annoying.

the schools have mixed reviews, most consider it okay, its zoned for N.Babylon SD. My sister and I are recent NB graduates who are doing well so the schools are good enough. lol, my grammar in this response is not testament to my ability at all.

good luck with your home search.

Last edited by Guidance100; 02-20-2013 at 08:27 PM..

Old 02-20-2013, 08:00 PM

486 posts, read 996,465 times
My daughter graduated from Belmont Elementary last year and is now in her first year at Robert Moses Middle. She is in accelerated classes and gets very good grades. I have no complaints about either school so far.
We live between Hubbard's Path and SS Pkwy East of Belmont Ave (about 14 years now) and have never had any type of problem in this particular neighborhood. There is a convenient group of stores off of Hubbard's Path with a new Best Yet Market, Café Gio, card store, bakery, liquor store (a little pricey but he accepts competitors coupons), Rite Aid, a few more that I can't think of at the moment. One thing that struck me when we moved here was that so many people, my husband included, grew up here, have parents still here and siblings and other family members that stayed in the area as well.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:46 AM

252 posts, read 419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielle86 View Post
Hi...I'm interested in some insight on what this area is like: it's West Babylon, south of the Southern State, between Little East Neck and Belmont (Montgomery, Amsterdam, Lexington etc). We saw some nice houses there but were surprised to hear that they were in the North Babylon school district even though they were in West Babylon. So...in general what is this area like (safe? good quality of life? good place to raise family? etc)...AND more important what are the North Babylon schools like...I was under the impression that West Babylon schools were more highly ranked. How do they compare? Thanks!
I live on Outlook Ave right off Belmont Ave. We moved here from the city 7 years ago. We're happy. Was a bit of a culture shock for us when we first moved here as it is very quiet, especially in the winter months. Little East Neck Rd has a ton of stores most with an Italian theme to them.

My son will be attending Kindergarten in the Fall and yes, it is the North babylon school district. My area is zoned for William Deluca Elementary school.

Overall, we are very happy with the neighborhood.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:47 PM

226 posts, read 151,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman140 View Post
I live on Outlook Ave right off Belmont Ave. We moved here from the city 7 years ago. We're happy. Was a bit of a culture shock for us when we first moved here as it is very quiet, especially in the winter months. Little East Neck Rd has a ton of stores most with an Italian theme to them.

My son will be attending Kindergarten in the Fall and yes, it is the North babylon school district. My area is zoned for William Deluca Elementary school.

Overall, we are very happy with the neighborhood.
Sorry to intrude, couldn't help but notice you said you live in Outlook ave. We're actually looking at a house on Outlook and wonder how the people in the area were like... How much does the oil bill come to. Which is SD #3? And what do you think of it. Any input would be appreciated it. Thank you.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:17 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jme8378 View Post
Sorry to intrude, couldn't help but notice you said you live in Outlook ave. We're actually looking at a house on Outlook and wonder how the people in the area were like... How much does the oil bill come to. Which is SD #3? And what do you think of it. Any input would be appreciated it. Thank you.
Since this is an old thread then the likelihood of the poster returning with input is pretty slim.

I've been hearing mixed reviews about NB schools for years. Some think it is a wonderful school system while some think its not. I graduated from there a little over 10 years ago and it was ok for the most part...I ended up doing great in college and having a lucrative career.

Your best bet is to drive around the schools after they let out and draw your own conclusions (particularly the middle and high school). Really think about whether it would be an environment that you would like your kids to be in. Maybe if you spot some parents around then you can ask for their input. Many would be glad to chime-in.

From an academic performance standpoint, North Babylon usually ranks in the average to slightly below-average range in comparison to other LI school systems; but its far from being as bad as Brentwood, Wyandanch or Hempstead.
- North Babylon schools usually rank very closely with West Babylon, Deer Park and Farmingdale schools.

Personally, if I had kids then I would not have a problem putting them in NB Schools; but I would prefer them to be in a high-performing district like Half Hollow Hills, Babylon, Commack or Harborfields.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 03-26-2019 at 06:26 AM..

Old 03-26-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jme8378 View Post
We are very happy with the area. My children are students at Deluca Elementary school and are doing wonderfully. We have a good block. Most of the neighbors are very friendly. It also helps that just about all of the kids on the block go to school together. When the kids know each other, the parents end up knowing each other and look out for each other.

In terms of the oil bill, there are many variables. Size of the house, age of your system, temp you keep your thermostat, etc. Our oil bills aren't killer.

Hope this helps

Old 03-26-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Since this is an old thread then the likelihood of the poster returning with input is pretty slim.

I've been hearing mixed reviews about NB schools for years. Some think it is a wonderful school system while some think its not. I graduated from there a little over 10 years ago and it was ok for the most part...I ended up doing great in college and having a lucrative career.

Your best bet is to drive around the schools after they let out and draw your own conclusions (particularly the middle and high school). Really think about whether it would be an environment that you would like your kids to be in. Maybe if you spot some parents around then you can ask for their input. Many would be glad to chime-in.

From an academic performance standpoint, North Babylon usually ranks in the average to slightly below-average range in comparison to other LI school systems; but its far from being as bad as Brentwood, Wyandanch or Hempstead.
- North Babylon schools usually rank very closely with West Babylon, Deer Park and Farmingdale schools.

Personally, if I had kids then I would not have a problem putting them in NB Schools; but I would prefer them to be in a high-performing district like Half Hollow Hills, Babylon, Commack or Harborfields.
I actually saw it and replied. Guess it was the poster's lucky day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island