Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you hvae fios, optimum or other
Optimum 18 39.13%
Fios 25 54.35%
Rabbit Ears 0 0%
Direct TV 2 4.35%
Other 1 2.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 06:23 PM

74 posts, read 555,006 times

Advertisements

They are running lines in my street today and wondering what everyone thinks of fios vs optimum.

One strike against fios for me is that you need a box on every television. I have 4 tv's currently that do not have a box connected and I would liked to keep it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 06:32 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
If you do a search you will find a few threads on this that are fairly recent. I switched to Fios about 2 months ago and I am very happy.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:13 PM

516 posts, read 1,076,183 times
If a door to door Fios salesman comes to your door ask to talk to his mom. They lie about pricing and will change your order to make the most commission.

I canceled my order when I found what they intended to install was not what I ordered. The phone calls to try to straighten this mess out took over 2 hours, I finaly gave up and canceled.

The Dolans are not my favorites but they do know how to run a business

Old 06-21-2010, 07:59 PM

29 posts, read 107,522 times
I also switched in Feb and love it. But as everyone else says the billing sucks. spent over an hour each month getting the bill straightened out. the 4th month I told them charge me the disconnect fee I am done with them. After getting an even better deal then i had and a promise that the billing would be correct on the next bill which it has been I am very happy.
Al

Old 06-22-2010, 01:14 AM

22,188 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Have Fios, its probably a bit more expensive than Optimum (especially with the Movie package), but the fact Cablevision still doesn't carry the NFL Network is simply a no go.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Have Fios, its probably a bit more expensive than Optimum (especially with the Movie package), but the fact Cablevision still doesn't carry the NFL Network is simply a no go.
That was the clincher for me! I watch that channel so much, I cant get enough of all the old school footage and the replays of games. My billing has been right on the money so far. I will be paying less for a lot more for the first 6 months and then slightly more for a lot more the final 18 months. The search interface is much more responsive and is light years ahead of the CV box technology it seems.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:56 AM

22,188 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
That was the clincher for me! I watch that channel so much, I cant get enough of all the old school footage and the replays of games. My billing has been right on the money so far. I will be paying less for a lot more for the first 6 months and then slightly more for a lot more the final 18 months. The search interface is much more responsive and is light years ahead of the CV box technology it seems.
It does go up quite a bit once your out of the first six months, and if I were to switch to Optimum I probably would save a bit, but its not worth it imo. In fact I had someone from Optimum call me a few weeks back to switch saying they could save me $$$ (which was probably true) and point blank said I really don't care how much you can save me, unless you guys carry the NFL network you don't have a chance in hell of getting me to go back to Cablevision.

Of course if the Giants play the way they did last year I wouldn't have to worry about it either way because I would have a broken television

Old 06-22-2010, 04:17 AM

74 posts, read 555,006 times
Being that fios is coming to the area will cablevision offer some better deals? What does cable do to get you to stay?

Old 06-22-2010, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
It does go up quite a bit once your out of the first six months, and if I were to switch to Optimum I probably would save a bit, but its not worth it imo. In fact I had someone from Optimum call me a few weeks back to switch saying they could save me $$$ (which was probably true) and point blank said I really don't care how much you can save me, unless you guys carry the NFL network you don't have a chance in hell of getting me to go back to Cablevision.

Of course if the Giants play the way they did last year I wouldn't have to worry about it either way because I would have a broken television
The deal I got with Fios for all of the movie channels for 6 months and then the remaining 18 keeps me about $15 more than I was paying for the Silver package on CV so I can deal with it. I am sure that CV would have me back at a bigger discount than I had before but no NFLN, no dice.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:05 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Fios or nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island