Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 12:23 AM

5 posts, read 10,466 times

Advertisements

I just arrived today from California, I shipped my car last week, so hopefully it will arrive sometime this week.

I will be starting my job as a software engineer in melville, ny. I know relatively little about ny. I'm a single professional asian late 20's male thats lived my whole life in California.

so my questions to the forum are:
1. any tips/advice about ny in general
2. where are good places to live that are close to work?
i've heard good things about huntington, babylon, westbury
3. what do you guys think about levitown, bethpage, farmingdale, dix hills, plainview?

I guess what I would be looking for are probably, short commute time (less than 20 minutes), close to LIRR or whatever transportation there is out to NYC, and somewhere that is close to some decent places to eat.

4. what kind of internet is available in LI?

and yes, I have been searching the forums for more information, but I thought I would try to start this thread and see what happens.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 04:54 AM

654 posts, read 2,113,679 times
Stay away from certain parts of Westbury.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:11 AM

87 posts, read 174,245 times
Welcome to Long Island and the Right Coast. Hope you got a place to stay a while.
First off, you need a whole book for advise on NYC.
Hope you got at least a friend or 2 on island. When your car arrives, take a friend and take the Long Island tour#1: Around 200-250 miles out and back. Take Route 25a from the Queens border eastward to Orient Point stopping at some vineyards of course, backtrack to Riverhead and head south and more east to Montauk Point, then turn back and head west on Route 27 back to say the Van Wick Expressway to get a taste of city traffic.
public transport=mta.info | Home PageI Love New York=ILOVENY | The Official New York State Tourism Site-Home
I love Long Island=Long Island New York - Long Island's Most Popular Web Site - LongIsland.comExplore Long Island=Exploreli - Long Island Guides and Trip Activity Recommendations
Internet access=
fios=Verizon | FiOS Digital TV and High-Speed Internet Features
optonline=Optimum Online

BTW, don't forget tour#2, around 200 miles: criss/cross the island north to south every 20 miles or so. By the time you finish both east to west, north to south tours, you might get an idea where you might want to settle down and live.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:14 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,589,104 times
Default In case you are unfamiliar with the local geography

calisfteng, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 06-24-2010, 07:26 AM

22,633 posts, read 36,587,444 times
Stick with Huntington or Babylon. Westbury has iffy areas and doesn't have the same fun scene as the other towns (I don't know Babylon but others here always say it's nice). Westbury also offers you absolutely no advantage in commute time.

Welcome to Long Island!

Old 06-24-2010, 07:48 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,597,644 times
Bouncing off twingles.

Babylon is a great little village -- I lived there as a young woman in her mid 20's. There are restaurants and bars, it's walkable and the LIRR is right there. You are close to the ocean beaches (still need a car, though) as the Great South Bay separates Long Island from the barrier beaches.

Huntington always seemed a little more hip and preppy to Babylon's more casual vibe.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:09 AM

5 posts, read 10,466 times
thanks for the feedback

i heard that huntington is good and huntington station is bad?

dicky - i'll definitely attempt to take a tour of long island, it sound like a good idea.
walter - thanks for the very technical explanation

so, it sounds like either huntington or babylon. perfect. what about the other places?

Old 06-24-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisfteng View Post
so, it sounds like either huntington ...

It is important to know that there are 3 "Huntingtons" (from smallest to largest, in order of acreage):

1. There is the Hamlet of Huntington (whose "downtown" commercial district is colloquially referred to as Huntington Village);

2. There is the "Huntington, NY 11743" ZIP Code postal zone, and it includes the Hamlet of Huntington and parts of 2 villages (municipal corporations) and 6 other hamlets (unincorporated areas) within its service area; and,

3. There is the Town of Huntington, and it includes 4 villages and 15 hamlets as well as the "Huntington, NY 11743" ZIP Code postal zone and all or parts of 11 other ZIP Code postal zones, within its borders.

A map of the Hamlet of Huntington in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County:

The Hamlet of Huntington has a different border than does the "Huntington, NY 11743" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Huntington and a place can have other than a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Huntington): places that have a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Huntington are in the Hamlet of West Hills, the Hamlet of Halesite, the Village of Huntington Bay, the Village of Lloyd Harbor, the Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor, the Hamlet of Centerport, the Hamlet of Greenlawn, the Hamlet of Elwood and the Hamlet of Huntington Station; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Huntington with a "Huntington Station, NY 11746" and a "Greenlawn, NY 11740" mailing address.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:41 AM

Default A map of the Village of Babylon in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisfteng View Post
... or babylon.

It is important to know that there are 3 "Babylons" (from smallest to largest, in order of acreage):

1. There is the Village of Babylon;

2. There is the "Babylon, NY 11702" ZIP Code postal zone, and it includes the Village of Babylon and parts of 2 adjacent hamlets within its service area; and,

3. There is the Town of Babylon, and it includes 3 villages and 12 hamlets as well as the "Babylon, NY 11702" ZIP Code postal zone and 9 other ZIP Code postal zones, within its borders.

A map of the Village of Babylon in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County:

The Village of Babylon has a different border than does the "Babylon, NY 11702" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Babylon, NY 11702" mailing address and not be in the Village of Babylon and a place can have other than a "Babylon, NY 11702" mailing address and be in the Village of Babylon): places that have a "Babylon, NY 11702" mailing address that are not in the Village of Babylon are in the Hamlet of North Babylon and in the Hamlet of West Babylon; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Babylon with a "West Babylon, NY 11704" mailing address.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:08 PM

22,633 posts, read 36,587,444 times
Stick with the area around Huntington Village (ie, the "downtown area"). There are parts of Huntington Station that are fine, but they aren't close to the village anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island