Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 12:32 PM

4 posts, read 10,859 times

Advertisements

We are interested in a home in North Hempstead that is currently using a 1,500 gallon in-ground oil tank for heating. We were looking to convert to gas should we purchase the home, and are interested in decommissioning the tank. I don't think we can get the sellers to abandon the tank before we purchase, so I wanted to know what steps we could take to ensure that we as buyers could properly abandon the tank after we purchase the home without being subject to any environmental liabilities. We may be able to get the sellers to agree to a soil test, but if that test were to come back negative, can we assume that we would have no issues when we abandon the tank? Should we also have a tank tightness test performed? The sellers seem reluctant to perform a tank test, stating that the test itself could cause leaks in the tank. Is this true? Also, at what point(s) does the county get involved during the abandonment process, if at all? Do we receive some sort of certification from the county and/or oil abandonment company when the tank is properly abandoned? Lastly, I have read that in-ground oil tanks over 1,100 gallons need to be registered and tested periodically with the county. Does this only apply to tanks that are not in use? I have checked with the county, and they have no records of the tank being registered. Will this cause additional complications? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 02:54 PM

22,646 posts, read 36,614,732 times
There are currently no laws in place about abandoning oil tanks. We are selling and abandoning ours for the buyers and it's a very simple process. The company (we are using Windmill) takes care of all the paperwork and files with the county. That's it.

There is absolutely no point in performing a soil test and I told my RE agent and lawyer that that was an absolute no go for me - God only knows how long that tank has been there and why should I be responsible for it? The soil test is not required by law. If you want it done, do it after YOU own the house and take the liability on YOURSELF.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:01 PM

782 posts, read 1,414,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
There are currently no laws in place about abandoning oil tanks. We are selling and abandoning ours for the buyers and it's a very simple process. The company (we are using Windmill) takes care of all the paperwork and files with the county. That's it.

There is absolutely no point in performing a soil test and I told my RE agent and lawyer that that was an absolute no go for me - God only knows how long that tank has been there and why should I be responsible for it? The soil test is not required by law. If you want it done, do it after YOU own the house and take the liability on YOURSELF.
Are you also having Windmill install an above oil tank? Can you tell me how much Windmill is charging you to abondon and install a new tank? I need to do this for my house also. Thank you.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:28 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,573,340 times
Maybe you should consult BP to look into this matter.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:54 AM

No, we converted to gas. We are not installing a new tank.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:17 PM

9,923 posts, read 23,070,410 times
Quote:

In all probability yours is a residential sized oil tank, either 275 or 550 gallons is my guess. The OP's is commercial sized and has different rules and regs.
I have some info on this - will try to find it.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:37 PM

292 posts, read 818,180 times
Yes, the 1500 gallon is unusual for residential. But if I were the homeowner, I wouldn't abandon it while still using oit for heat....as the OP states is the case. What if the deal fall thru - the current owners are stuck once heating season comes around again. They've got no oil tank and no gas conversion. Nor would I agree to a soil test - why open yourself up to the liability?

Old 06-27-2010, 06:26 PM

9,923 posts, read 23,070,410 times
Default Oil Tank Rules and Regs for Nassau and Suffolk Counties

As promised, attached are the rules and regs for Nassau and Suffolk Counties regarding oil storage tanks (both aboveground and underground).

Hope this helps!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Oil Tank regs.pdf (93.7 KB, 460 views)

Old 07-26-2010, 02:17 PM

782 posts, read 1,414,218 times
Quote:
No, we converted to gas. We are not installing a new tank.
Do you mind sharing how much you paid to convert to GAS? Thank you.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
Do you mind sharing how much you paid to convert to GAS? Thank you.
I just found the bill the other day and it was $3150 in 1999.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island