Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:19 PM

80 posts, read 213,051 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I found a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom home on half an acre in Dix Hills, NY which was listed for approximately $90,000.

I called the realtor and on her voicemail her secretary leaves a obnoxious message "If you are calling about 28 McCullogh Drive, DO NOT CALL HER or LEAVE HER A VOICE MAIL... The owner is looking for a proposal and entertaining offers between 500,000-700,000"

Basically this post is a rant...

About stupid realtors and their dumb tactics.The strategy this realtor is basically using is to get a home a lot of attention on real estate websites. But let me make something clear, this is NOT the type of attention you want if you are selling a home.

Listing a home for $90K and then having buyers inquire about it - only to found out that the price was a joke - is sales suicide. It turns people off. Even people who are able to give 100% cash for $700K will be immediately turned off.

Her voicemail also sends a obnoxious tone. As if the buyers are below her or something. I think it makes you look bad and unprofessional.

This is a BUYERS market anyway.... Those types of games probably only worked in the past -if they even did. Not today... The inventory in Dix Hills is also high. Well that's my rant today...

PS. I don't know if the buyer knows if the realtor is playing this type of game. Let me send him a letter informing him if he's aware.

PS. I'm going to see if I can flag her listings.

Moderator cut: if anyone wants to know the realtor or the listing please send a DM

Last edited by Keeper; 06-25-2010 at 06:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 07:22 PM

And by the way,

I can afford to put 100% down on their price range... But I sure as hell won't.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:49 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,564 times
500K for that house is sad. The landscaping is nonexistant, the interior is shabby to start, dated and old in the middle and ends with a total gut/refurb. It does not look to have been particularly well cared for.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:02 PM

456 posts, read 1,122,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmsinger View Post
And by the way,

I can afford to put 100% down on their price range... But I sure as hell won't.
If you can afford that much, why would you check out a house for 90k? I would be worried about that house and assume it was in horrible shape in the middle of a drug infested area etc?

Also, congratulations on having 700k cash for a house..man, I wish I had that LOL

If you can seriously afford that, the best deal on Long Island is a 11k square foot house in Nissiquogue (sp?) for 1.1 million, it's amazing, on 4 acres. It's my dream house. But the taxes are 40k ugg.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:08 PM

^ LOL

I always look from the lowest range to the highest. Why not get yourself a deal? I grew up **** poor and know the value of a dollar.

I live in Queens currently. Looking to get out.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
^ LOL

I always look from the lowest range to the highest. Why not get yourself a deal? I grew up **** poor and know the value of a dollar.

I live in Queens currently. Looking to get out.
Seriously, if you have that kind of money, look at the 1.1 million house in Nissequague.

MLSLI.com

Just go look at it..and anyone else just for the heck of it..man I love this house..best deal on Long Island in any price range IMO.

Muttontown and Brookville are also really nice but in the 1 million + range.

Also, if you are in Queens and want to live in a nicer area, try Malba. Nice houses and very low taxes.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the tip. Your link is dead by the way.

I do have those towns in mind. (Mutton & Brook)

Malba is nice. Little Neck, I have also considered even though it's in queens.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Your link is dead by the way.

I do have those towns in mind. (Mutton & Brook)

Malba is nice. Little Neck, I have also considered even though it's in queens.
Ok..go to MLS, find the white house for 1,099,000 with 11,000 sq feet on four acres. Amazing house. Man, this makes me wish I didn't give up my law job in NYC..LOL...it's all good. Sigh.

It also depends what you are looking for- if you want to be around old money or new money, Jewish or Christian, top rated school district, etc.

West Hills is also a nice area (not a good district if you have kids though). There is a house for sale with 3 acres for around 700k, pretty good deal.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:30 PM

LOL... It's quite a nice house.

Old Money or New Money - doesn't really matter to me. It's all money in the end. lol

School district is defiantly important to me as I have kids.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
LOL... It's quite a nice house.

Old Money or New Money - doesn't really matter to me. It's all money in the end. lol

School district is defiantly important to me as I have kids.
In Brookville, you will get Jericho schools, which are fantastic. If you are Jewish, go to Great Neck. Cold Spring Harbor is very strong (they have a high teacher turn over though so I don't know what their deal is over there). Muttontown can go to Syosset or Jericho or even other districts depending on where the house is located.

There are also nice homes by the water in Glen Cove but you will have to send your kids to private school. Same thing with West Hills, very nice area but the kids have to go to private school (St. Anthony's is up the road and Friends Academy is near Glen Cove).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island