Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 12:33 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
Why do you think teaching attracts liberals as opposed to conservatives? It's just a job.
As a general rule, those on the Left are more risk adverse and thus more favorably disposed to working for the State, while those on the Right are more entrepreneurial and not favorably disposed to working for the State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 09:58 AM

456 posts, read 1,122,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
As a general rule, those on the Left are more risk adverse and thus more favorably disposed to working for the State, while those on the Right are more entrepreneurial and not favorably disposed to working for the State.
Ok, that I don't agree with. That's a personality trait not a political trait. Go look at the bong shops, psychic shops, new age places :O)

Old 06-27-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
Ok, that I don't agree with. That's a personality trait not a political trait.
Those on the Left believe in, and are not reluctant to be part of, big gov't, while those on the Right do not believe in, and are fairly reluctant to be part of, big gov't. That's why when someone on the Right, or someone who claims that they are on the Right, is the chief executive of a village, town, city, county, state or country, the majority of people working in and for the village, town, city, county, state and county agencies are on the Left, setting up a bit of a dissonance in how we govern ourselves.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:57 AM

456 posts, read 1,122,586 times
Quote:
Those on the Left believe in, and are not reluctant to be part of, big gov't, while those on the Right do not believe in, and are fairly reluctant to be part of, big gov't. That's why when someone on the Right, or someone who claims that they are on the Right, is the chief executive of a village, town, city, county, state or country, the majority of people working in and for the village, town, city, county, state and county agencies are on the Left, setting up a bit of a dissonance in how we govern ourselves.
I just can't see that everyone who works for the state has to have a certain political leaning. In NY, most people are liberal whether they work for the public sector or not. If you were to go to say Texas, I don't think you would find this same trend. I think it depends where you live and how the majority of the people in the area vote in the first place.

Living in NY, you are not well-liked if you are conservative. If you go down South, it's different.

But, I have only had one "government" job and never thought I would have it anyway. I am for the private sector. I can see things from both sides which makes it a lot easier for me to say something when people are complaining about some grievance of another and I know they are being ridiculous because how they are feeling would hold no weight in the "outside world."

Old 06-27-2010, 09:08 PM

570 posts, read 1,215,208 times
Default Showing your bias

Quote:
Google "teachers political agenda", "teachers leftist agenda", "teachers social justice", etc., etc., etc.

It's possible, but the Right, as a general rule, provides both sides and lets others decide for themselves.

As a general rule, the Left thinks that its views are the only correct view and thus it is not necessary to provide any other view.
I don't think Google is always going to be providing the truth, depends on what site you go to. And what happens in one part of the country is not what happens in another.

I don't believe your "general rules" hold any water. People are different, doesn't matter what their political leanings are. This is where your particular bias comes through - you don't believe anyone on the left is a good person, or fair, especially if they happen to be a teacher. Even my most liberal teachers/professors were never one-sided or unfair to the other side. We learned both sides of issues, and it made me better able to think things through before passing judgement.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:56 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Going back to the original topic.

In school, there was one subject that I hated more than math - physics. Sorry, but I loathed it. Never could make sense of it and it pulled down my average. I liked bio and chem, but detested physics.

I have found that the best teachers are not the ones who aced their subject in school and got through it easily, but rather someone who struggled with it and overcame their struggles. These teachers can forsee the pitfalls and mistakes their students will make when they approach certain concepts. In addition, an experienced teacher will be able to forsee the concepts that students are going to find confusing and anticipate their mistakes. I hated when teachers stated how easy or simple something was to understand or work out. Yeah, easy for you, but not for me.

When you teach something new, break it down completely. Don't combine steps and assume that the students will understand how you got your number. Even if students have done this before, when you are teaching how to do a problem for the first time, show how you arrived at each number at each step when working out an equation/problem/formula. It may take extra time, but if students understand it the first time, you won't have to go over it again later after they got it wrong.

Keep kids awake in class by using a little humor now and then. Even high school kids appreciate a little cuteness by drawing pictures or personifying something. It helps them to remember. There are plenty of jokes about density and mass out there.

Don't show favoritism, even unintentionally.

Be consistent. If you give out an assignment, don't change it at the last moment. Give all instructions for the assignment when handed out. Don't add extra requirements or change the instructions the day before it is due. Some students pace themselves because of other assignments and may have had to start yours early.

Don't give that line about how you don't care if all the other teachers are giving tests that same day. Care about it. Try to keep to the team schedule or school policy of how many tests a kid can have that day. As a physics teacher, you are probably getting the high-achieving kids who are over-scheduled and feeling very pressured.

Start early with the regents review and give lots of practice tests and questions. You probably already do this, but keep in mind, kids have other regents to take too so teachers need to space everything out.

Provide some time either during lunch or after school to help the kids who want to take the SATII in physics.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Try to keep to the team schedule or school policy of how many tests a kid can have that day.
Don't schedule an exam on a religious Holy Day.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:08 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Real world applications of physics taught to kids thru projects and hands on labs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island