Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 07:37 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,043,573 times

Advertisements

The problem may be this:

Undocumented illegal residents have taken over a large segment of the semi to unskilled service economy. Some aren't so successful and find their way into trouble, and they have their own predators who take advantage of the somewhat (although becoming more transparent by the day) underground life they must lead. This may at least in part contribute to deliquency, crime, and gang activity.

The legal resident youth of today tend not to mow lawns, shovel snow, or take paper routes to earn spending money like they did in generations past (but if they go to a museum they can see newsreels and still photo's of when youth did perform these tasks...)

The above jobs being done mostly by the undocumented residents, adults and youth alike being more prone to a less healthy, sedentary lifestyle as a result, youth developing less business, bookkeeping, equipment mnagement, etc. skills...maybe becoming more narcissistic and prone to the fact "idle hands make a troubled workshop" I.E. the heroin problem in many of the schools, etc.

And are communities where a good slice of the economy is tourist based more prone to attract problems with the bars, nightlife, high flyers, wealthier residents, etc...?

So you P.J. residents just need to start cutting your own lawns, shoveling your own snow, planting your own landscaping, etc. This combined with early to bed and early to rise, well you know the rest....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 10:43 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,304,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
The problem may be this:

Undocumented illegal residents have taken over a large segment of the semi to unskilled service economy. Some aren't so successful and find their way into trouble, and they have their own predators who take advantage of the somewhat (although becoming more transparent by the day) underground life they must lead. This may at least in part contribute to deliquency, crime, and gang activity.

The legal resident youth of today tend not to mow lawns, shovel snow, or take paper routes to earn spending money like they did in generations past (but if they go to a museum they can see newsreels and still photo's of when youth did perform these tasks...)

The above jobs being done mostly by the undocumented residents, adults and youth alike being more prone to a less healthy, sedentary lifestyle as a result, youth developing less business, bookkeeping, equipment mnagement, etc. skills...maybe becoming more narcissistic and prone to the fact "idle hands make a troubled workshop" I.E. the heroin problem in many of the schools, etc.

And are communities where a good slice of the economy is tourist based more prone to attract problems with the bars, nightlife, high flyers, wealthier residents, etc...?

So you P.J. residents just need to start cutting your own lawns, shoveling your own snow, planting your own landscaping, etc. This combined with early to bed and early to rise, well you know the rest....
Pretty much what I've been saying all along. We're infested with illegals on LI because we dont mow our own lawns and the like. Down in South Jersey ppl do their own lawns more, so, much less illegals and roach trucks!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:56 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,304,497 times
All this discussion about the village of Port jeff has so many parallels with the town I live in, the Village of Westbury. There's a total denial in the village govt of gang and illegal alien problems. They may close a flophouse or two to show they are doing something, but another one opens up somewhere else in the village. The voting public in this town is apathetic, they re-elected the same "In-Action" party time after time, after Strada didn't run anymore as mayor they elected Cavalarro, a clone of him. They brag about how nice that little plaza at the corner of Post and Maple is. But what is it really like? A huge hangout for gangs of illegals. They hang out there all night and get drunk and sleep hidden under the trees. They wash in the fountain. But these complaints are ignored. Those who speak up are harassed, myself included. The village tried to make my LL think I was a "threat" because of my views against illegal immigration! I hate having to get off at the bus stop at Post + Maple there because the illegals who hang out there were informed by someone in the village about my views (and videos) so they give me the middle finger everytime I walk past.
I feel like I need pepper spray just walking around here. They OWN THE TOWN now, and the village does nothing about it. Most of the people dont care. Joan Boes and all the other corrupt village officials live in the Carle Place schools section, so they dont care about the invasion going on east of Ellison. East of Post is too dangerous to walk around day or night. I stopped going to that post office years ago, after being attacked by a loose pit bull that ran out of a flophouse.
Lets just say I dont plan on spending too much more time in Westbury, prob another year and I'm outta here. I hate moving, and have moved 3 times in the past 10 years. This town is completely invaded.
And nobody gives a damn. And thats exactly whats going on in PJ as well.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:50 AM

456 posts, read 1,119,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Pretty much what I've been saying all along. We're infested with illegals on LI because we dont mow our own lawns and the like. Down in South Jersey ppl do their own lawns more, so, much less illegals and roach trucks!
For some reason, if you live in a semi-well to do neighborhood, there is a tremendous stigma to mowing your own lawn. I don't know why. I started to mow my mom's law to try to cut down on some expenses and was looked down on by my neighbors. I was the only one doing this, everyone had the gardening crew. If the final result is the same, who cares?

Old 06-28-2010, 06:52 AM

69 posts, read 158,007 times
How do you know people were looking down on you doing your own lawn?

Old 06-28-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamsux View Post
How do you know people were looking down on you doing your own lawn?
Because they said something to my face. Nice people.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:04 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,236,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
Because they said something to my face. Nice people.
Thsi is interesting. What did they say?

Old 06-28-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Thsi is interesting. What did they say?
I would prefer to not get into the personal exchanges here. There seemed to be an issue with me mowing my own lawn because people in my area don't do that.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:29 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,043,573 times
I get the same thing by mowing my own lawn, dirty and/or sympathetic looks form some neighbors, occasionally people will pull up to me in their car and ask if I ever would consider selling the house when they see me mowing the lawn, but they never inquire if I'm just out in the yard, or coming and going from the house.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I get the same thing by mowing my own lawn, dirty and/or sympathetic looks form some neighbors, occasionally people will pull up to me in their car and ask if I ever would consider selling the house when they see me mowing the lawn, but they never inquire if I'm just out in the yard, or coming and going from the house.
My neigbor said I should sell my house if I can't afford to maintain it. Nice, right? I feel your pain. The house has been paid for in full for the past thirty years. I don't think they can say the same about their house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island