Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 10:41 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,399 times

Advertisements

Can anyone name streets as boundaries N,S,E,W, to what is likely the very worst area of Huntington Station?

How is the area West of Park, North of Broadway, East of 110 and South of Main? NOT looking to move here, but just wondering what it's like there.

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 07-03-2010 at 11:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 11:44 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Default A map of the Hamlet of Huntington Station in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County

A map of the Hamlet of Huntington Station in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County:

The Hamlet of Huntington Station has a different border than does the "Huntington Station, NY 11746" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Huntington Station, NY 11746" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Huntington Station and a place can have other than a "Huntington Station, NY 11746" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Huntington Station): places that have a "Huntington Station, NY 11746" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Huntington Station are in the Hamlet of Huntington, the Hamlet of South Huntington, the Hamlet of Greenlawn and the Hamlet of West Hills; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Huntington Station with a "Dix Hills, NY 11746" mailing address.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:50 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Can anyone name streets as boundaries N,S,E,W, to what is likely the very worst area of Huntington Station?

How is the area West of Park, North of Broadway, East of 110 and South of Main? NOT looking to move here, but just wondering what it's like there.
That's a large area and as such, it varies; BTW, Main Street is well into downtown Huntington, not Huntington Station.
Definitely NOT the worst part of Huntington Station

Old 07-04-2010, 12:17 AM

Ok let me narrow that down a bit more...Southeast Of Woodhull, West of Park, North of Broadway..Crooked hill road area. How is that over there?

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 07-04-2010 at 12:27 AM..

Old 07-04-2010, 07:49 AM

292 posts, read 820,156 times
That area is fine. You'd be most concerned with the area around Lowndes Avenue, where Jack Abrams Intermediate School is (right by the projects)....also further south on Route 110 - the whole Fairground Avenue/5th Street/Depot Road area is not the greatest. Then once you get past there you are okay again in the area off Pulaski. It's kind of strange over there how the area gets back and then good again.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Ok let me narrow that down a bit more...Southeast Of Woodhull, West of Park, North of Broadway..Crooked hill road area. How is that over there?

If my daughters wanted to live there, I wouldn't worry a bit...

Old 07-04-2010, 10:05 AM

456 posts, read 1,122,502 times
Quote:

I'm going to answer this but I'm curious why you want all of this detailed information when you are not considering moving there??..

Anyway, you are ok as long as you are south of Jericho turnpike. Once 110 turns into New York Avenue, the area gets bad pretty fast. Then, after driving north on New York Avenue, the area will get very nice again once you get into Hungtington village. The divide is almost like the Garden City/Hempstead divide, but maybe not nearly as distinct.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
I'm going to answer this but I'm curious why you want all of this detailed information when you are not considering moving there??..

Anyway, you are ok as long as you are south of Jericho turnpike. Once 110 turns into New York Avenue, the area gets bad pretty fast. Then, after driving north on New York Avenue, the area will get very nice again once you get into Hungtington village. The divide is almost like the Garden City/Hempstead divide, but maybe not nearly as distinct.
I believe the OP was not only asking about 110/NY Ave but other areas surrounding it. Huntington Station is NOT just NY Ave and not just immediately surrounding the train station

Old 07-04-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post

Not moving there but looking not far from there, so I like to know what is around.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:59 AM

570 posts, read 1,215,110 times
Quote:

Huntington and Huntington Station have far more "nice" neighborhoods than not.

South of Main Street has great neighborhoods, in fact, they have some of the best low taxes in town!

Once you get to the Big H shopping area and south, it starts getting dicey. But a few blocks east of NY Ave is just fine in that north of Broadway section and south of Woodhull.

South of the train station around NY Ave/110 is mostly Hispanic these days, all the way to Park Ave but not always all the way to Oakwood Rd. North of Pulaski east of Oakwood is fine. But just heard of a shooting south of Pulaski east of Oakwood on Foxwood today. That's in South Huntington school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island