Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 04:20 PM
grant516

n/a posts

Advertisements

As a global economy increases, and the Internet dominates jobs and shopping- New York and dense populated areas lose their previous advantage.

If you were to give me the choice between a 7 out of 10 place to live at a cost of $500,000 for 10 years, vs a 6 out of 10 place to live at a cost of $250,000 for 10 years- it's a pretty easy call.

Other areas of the country are marketing themselves and making them desirable for -many- groups of people. Long Island is not one of those places. Our tourism board, and commercial and residential growth are stagnant.

It's a big country out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 04:46 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I've been through the western part of NC and VA and I love it, but very few people from Long Island move into the mountains. They move to Raleigh-Durham or Charlotte or maybe Wilmington. They tend to move into suburban cookie-cutter developments in those areas, in which case they are moving to nothing exceptional.
I understand the point, but how many blocks do you see on LI that are all the same box ranch - I was shopping and would see an entire neighborhood of high ranches in many towns. It's all a play on Levitt's idea. Don't you think people called these "cookie-cutter developments" 20-30 years ago? Heck, people are still buying them on LI - aluminum wiring, no central air, original everything, and all. I know we're agreeing that it's not "exceptional" in either case... I just find it funny when LI people point at the cookie-cutter developments and mock them.

I do take exception to the McMansions - drives me nuts. What a waste.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:49 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
how many blocks do you see on LI that are all the same box ranch - I was shopping and would see an entire neighborhood of high ranches in many towns. It's all a play on Levitt's idea. Don't you think people called these "cookie-cutter developments" 20-30 years ago?
I know it always makes me laugh when people call NC the land of cookie cutter developments....as if these people live in custom homes. I grew up on a street where at least 50% of the houses were the same exact ranch. Go into one and find your way around, and you were good to go in all the others. Same with where I live in Garden City - the didn't stick the same house right next to its twin, but drive down any street here and you'll see the similarities. Same with most of the houses my friends grew up in, not just on Long Island but upstate and other states as well. These streets were all "developments" at one time, we just don't use that terminology here.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:54 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
As a global economy increases, and the Internet dominates jobs and shopping- New York and dense populated areas lose their previous advantage.

If you were to give me the choice between a 7 out of 10 place to live at a cost of $500,000 for 10 years, vs a 6 out of 10 place to live at a cost of $250,000 for 10 years- it's a pretty easy call.

Other areas of the country are marketing themselves and making them desirable for -many- groups of people. Long Island is not one of those places. Our tourism board, and commercial and residential growth are stagnant.

It's a big country out there.
Don't be so sure it's that rosy. What happens when the internet dominates jobs is the corporations look to the CHEAPEST labor market to fill those jobs ... and nowhere in the US is cheap enough, not even NC.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:24 PM

267 posts, read 598,508 times
I have family in Garner. And personally it is just blah..... Give it 5 years and it will be like florida. Everywhere you look down there , the is a huge push for new homes in new mcmansion style communities. Meanwhile the market is saturated with homes for sale. Plus you get all the new york money comments from everyone . It is thanks to ny money that these folks are making any money. I think most people who make the move for whatever reason, regret it, but they will never tell. misery loves company. How much can you talk about cheap taxes etc........ blah blah.....least I can get a bagel whenever I want.............ha ha ha

Old 07-07-2010, 08:25 PM

267 posts, read 598,508 times
meth country

Old 07-07-2010, 08:30 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forevaNYka View Post
While I was at a party this weekend- all the talk was leaving Long Island and moving to NC. We just came back North (NJ but lived all our lives on LI) from living in NC for three years- wondering if we missed something while we were there?? I know LI changed but it just seems so many are going to NC.
There really do seem to be a lot of people from this area in No Cackalacka or on their way. I'm guessing the appeal is a combination of a lower cost of living and not being Florida.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:39 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
There really do seem to be a lot of people from this area in No Cackalacka or on their way. I'm guessing the appeal is a combination of a lower cost of living and not being Florida.
Here's a decent relevant comparison for this board... a popular bedroom community of Charlotte vs Rocky Point. The population sizes work and they have comparisons for population, housing, CoL, transportation, crime, etc. The crime stats are sourced from the FBI in case someone wonders (which I'm sure they will). The religion comparison is hilarious as it shows how densely populated it is with transplants. lol
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 05:26 AM..

Old 07-08-2010, 03:02 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAndyHolbrook View Post
blah.....least I can get a bagel whenever I want.............ha ha ha
Don't forget pizza and Chinese too, the 3 staples of the Long Island Diet.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:18 PM

149 posts, read 275,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Here's a decent relevant comparison for this board... a popular bedroom community of Charlotte vs Rocky Point. The population sizes work and they have comparisons for population, housing, CoL, transportation, crime, etc. The crime stats are sourced from the FBI in case someone wonders (which I'm sure they will). The religion comparison is hilarious as it shows how densely populated it is with transplants. lol

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Funny, NC wasn't for me but I would pick Weddington over Rocky Point - anyday- that's for sure!

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 05:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island