Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:22 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times

Advertisements

As someone who's lived his life in NC and currently witnessing the "opening the floodgates" of Long Islanders moving here--as if there were NO other choice but LI or NC--I can tell you that the cost of living is not as low as you think, the job market sucks (unemployment is about #8 in the Us right now, for NC, and that doesn't count the thousands and thousands applying for jobs here because someone told them it's the Land of Milke and Honey where every problem you ever had will vanish.

It's a nice place, but when 20,000-30,000 people per year move here, you better belive that in a few short years, what good things there are abour the area will be ruined. PLEASE consider somewhere else if all you want to do is get out of Long Island--there are 48 other states out there besides NY and NC, most with better job markets. What happened to Florida is going to happen here as everyone adopts a "lemming" mentality (Gotta move to NC, Gotta move to NC, Gotta move to NC, Gotta move to NC...") without even LOOKING at places such as Virginia or Texas that have both better job markets AND lower cots of living.

No offense, but please don't turn this into another "Long Island" full of traffic, crime, and drugs, because that's EXACTLY where we're headed when 10,000 Long Islanders per year move here. Even the Long Islanders say everybody up there is rude--so how do you think we feel, getting thousands upon thousands of you coming here per year, complaining about what we don't have that you had back in NY?

There ARE other places to live that aren't LI. I understand wanting to get out of somewhere that's in decline, but moving to where everybody else from LI has moved (and are doing their best to make it exactly like LI) doesn't exactly solve that. Think outside the box and move somewhere else!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 08:38 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Virginia is getting it's share of transplants. We have areas that could pass for NY if you just listened but 15 minutes away your in the country. Almost all move because of a job, once here they realize that they can have a good standard of living with plenty to do. And as others will always mention the pizza & bagels have a ways to go....

Old 07-08-2010, 10:42 PM

37 posts, read 106,303 times
WOW!! Someone actually gave NC a whole week and decided it wasn't for them. Wherever you decide to go, you have to go with a positive attitude and appreciate what's there. But a week? come on!!

Old 07-09-2010, 06:30 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I understand the point, but how many blocks do you see on LI that are all the same box ranch - I was shopping and would see an entire neighborhood of high ranches in many towns. It's all a play on Levitt's idea. Don't you think people called these "cookie-cutter developments" 20-30 years ago? Heck, people are still buying them on LI - aluminum wiring, no central air, original everything, and all. I know we're agreeing that it's not "exceptional" in either case... I just find it funny when LI people point at the cookie-cutter developments and mock them.

I do take exception to the McMansions - drives me nuts. What a waste.
My point is that they LI'ers move from one old cookie cutter place to another newer cookie cutter place. How many times do I have to say it?

Old 07-09-2010, 06:33 AM

764 posts, read 1,552,977 times
Default hmm

I think long island isnt as bad as people say. Its transitioning into a different type of economy. Its turning to a tech , bio tech economy. If you dont have the education for it then yes you will find it hard to find a job.

I worked my but off to get an associates and a bachelors in business and network systems and have a good paying job here to show for it.

Also some of the neighborhoods that people say stink on these forums arent as bad as they say. I just moved to medford and the minorities here are MUCH nicer then the tons of white people here. different then what people on these boards say.

I got a 2 bedroom condo in a development with a pool and everything for 155k

if people stop with this i want a mcmansion for 250k then they will find cheaper living.

I have been to many states and cant imagine living somewhere else.

A lot of states are having unemployment problems. We have the luxury here of being able to go to nyc to also find jobs.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:42 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
My point is that they LI'ers move from one old cookie cutter place to another newer cookie cutter place. How many times do I have to say it?
And our point is, what difference does it make? Where are homes NOT cookie cutter (if it really bothers one that they are)?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:43 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

if people stop with this i want a mcmansion for 250k then they will find cheaper living.

A McMansion for $250K? Do tell where.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:44 AM

302 posts, read 590,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
I think long island isnt as bad as people say. Its transitioning into a different type of economy. Its turning to a tech , bio tech economy. If you dont have the education for it then yes you will find it hard to find a job.

I worked my but off to get an associates and a bachelors in business and network systems and have a good paying job here to show for it.

Also some of the neighborhoods that people say stink on these forums arent as bad as they say. I just moved to medford and the minorities here are MUCH nicer then the tons of white people here. different then what people on these boards say.

I got a 2 bedroom condo in a development with a pool and everything for 155k

I have been to many states and cant imagine living somewhere else.

A lot of states are having unemployment problems. We have the luxury here of being able to go to nyc to also find jobs.
LI a tech/biotech economy? 250k for a mcmansion? Do you live on LI? Sounds more like NC/research triangle area.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:33 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
And our point is, what difference does it make? Where are homes NOT cookie cutter (if it really bothers one that they are)?
When are NEW homes not cookie cutter.

Drive through any area with pre-war houses. Have you seen the Victorians in Sea Cliff? Patchogue? Sayville.

But you're right in essence, new houses are rarely distinctive because they are built by the hundreds.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:25 AM

40 posts, read 71,419 times
People relocate for many reasons. It's hard to debate one area over another since it really comes down to opinion and I don't believe you can debate opinion.

I grew up on LI. I left to go to college and then I lived in Manhattan for about 10 years before the we had kids. Then we moved back to LI for the last 7 years to raise our family. We came back to LI because our families were there. I loved LI. I loved upstate NY. I loved Manhattan. I loved being back on LI with a family. But now we are moving on.

My husband and I thought about where we would like to live, where the jobs were, what amenities we wished for that we didn't currently have. Yes, LI is expensive but I believe you can run up your cost of living anywhere. It's how you choose to live. It's within your control where you choose to use your money. We have decided that we would like to pay less taxes and don't mind buying into the hole Home Owner Association thing. We are looking for amenities. This is not everyone's cup of tea.

We zeroed in on Charlotte for a number of reasons - industry (my husband has found many openings in his field), climate (I am slightly exhausted by large amounts of snow), quality of life (I want a pool that someone else takes care of and a golf course at my disposal) and I don't want my kids to feel obligated to come back to LI to be with us. I plan to go where they settle (this is discussed with love - not a threat!) and I am just giving them options.

Am I dissing LI? Do I preach that NC is perfect for everyone? I don't think so. I am just planning a move to NC for personal issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island