Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 08:39 AM

149 posts, read 275,446 times

Advertisements

While I was at a party this weekend- all the talk was leaving Long Island and moving to NC. We just came back North (NJ but lived all our lives on LI) from living in NC for three years- wondering if we missed something while we were there?? I know LI changed but it just seems so many are going to NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 08:45 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forevaNYka View Post
While I was at a party this weekend- all the talk was leaving Long Island and moving to NC. We just came back North (NJ but lived all our lives on LI) from living in NC for three years- wondering if we missed something while we were there?? I know LI changed but it just seems so many are going to NC.
It's about cost of living, not about anything else.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:58 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It's about cost of living, not about anything else.
If you say so...

OP - It's a well debated topic that will essentially degrade to several pages of name calling... If you search this forum you'll find many discussions on this very topic.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
If you say so...

OP - It's a well debated topic that will essentially degrade to several pages of name calling... If you search this forum you'll find many discussions on this very topic.
Aren't you the one always talking about the housing market and taxes?

People don't move to NC because it blows their mind..they move because it's like a newer cheaper warmer LI.

People move to the South of France or San Diego because they are desirable places to live, not because they are cheaper versions of where they live now.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Aren't you the one always talking about the housing market and taxes?

People don't move to NC because it blows their mind..they move because it's like a newer cheaper warmer LI.

People move to the South of France or San Diego because they are desirable places to live, not because they are cheaper versions of where they live now.
Yes, I watch the LI housing market closely since I believe NC will always lag behind and be driven by what's happening there. Among other reasons.

I stand by what I said - if we go down this road it will degrade into carpetbagging / tarheel insults... you know what I mean. But, if you don't care (heck what else do we have to do?), it was a value decision for me and most of it centers around an opinion of which area is improving vs. which area is declining.

When you use words like "cheaper" and "desirable" it's not the correct context since you're clearly biased. IMO all the signs point to LI in full decline at this point and NC offers an area similar to what LI first began to offer before it got completely fleeced by the unions and disgustingly overpriced 30-40 year old housing stock. Who's right and who's wrong? We can go in circles and argue, but it comes down to opinion and as the OP states many folks are seeing the same things.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:28 AM

481 posts, read 1,060,371 times
I was at a barbeque two summers ago, where a couple sold their LI house and moved to NC. They were there one week and hated it. They especially didn't like the school system. With that, they immediately moved back. It took them a while to find a house, but NC wasn't for them. Other people I know love NC. It's all a matter of (IMO) wanting a simpler way of life and getting out of the LI rat race.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Yes, I watch the LI housing market closely since I believe NC will always lag behind and be driven by what's happening there. Among other reasons.

I stand by what I said - if we go down this road it will degrade into carpetbagging / tarheel insults... you know what I mean. But, if you don't care (heck what else do we have to do?), it was a value decision for me and most of it centers around an opinion of which area is improving vs. which area is declining.

When you use words like "cheaper" and "desirable" it's not the correct context since you're clearly biased. IMO all the signs point to LI in full decline at this point and NC offers an area similar to what LI first began to offer before it got completely fleeced by the unions and disgustingly overpriced 30-40 year old housing stock. Who's right and who's wrong? We can go in circles and argue, but it comes down to opinion and as the OP states many folks are seeing the same things.
You've got me mistaken for a few other people around here. Cheaper simply means less expensive.

As for desirable, you rarely see people move here from elsewhere unless it's a job that brings them here, so I don't think LI is particularly desirable compared to NYC itself, or the other places I described.

I know there are a few die hards on here who'll tell you that LI is where it's at, but I'm not one of them. I think you pay way too much for a relatively boring yet stressful suburban lifestyle here. You can't call an area great just because it has good pizza and a beach.

On the other hand, there is nothing exceptional about NC in my exeprience, which is why so many LIers love to move there when they don't want to pay through the nose here anymore. They are used to having nothing exceptional.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
You've got me mistaken for a few other people around here. Cheaper simply means less expensive.

As for desirable, you rarely see people move here from elsewhere unless it's a job that brings them here, so I don't think LI is particularly desirable compared to NYC itself, or the other places I described.

I know there are a few die hards on here who'll tell you that LI is where it's at, but I'm not one of them. I think you pay way too much for a relatively boring yet stressful suburban lifestyle here. You can't call an area great just because it has good pizza and a beach.

On the other hand, there is nothing exceptional about NC in my exeprience, which is why so many LIers love to move there when they don't want to pay through the nose here anymore. They are used to having nothing exceptional.
I repped you and agree for the most part, but the last part I have to say it depends with regard to NC as a whole... If you're generalizing (and it seems you are), the STATE has beaches, mountains, lakes, etc. Seriously everyone makes all these comments about LI beaches like they think NC is landlocked and never heard of the outer banks. Mountains... ever look it up? I guess these are areas that you would not likely travel to if you're visiting Charlotte or Raleigh, but areas that are very reasonable to get to for a day trip - lake access can be even closer. It's not a shot down the RM causeway or William Floyd for everyone in NC, granted. I'm not saying it is, but I found myself doing that so rarely anyway it didn't matter that it takes longer to "get there" now... Maybe that is what you mean by being "used to having nothing exceptional"? I wasn't sure. But this country (not just NC or LI) offers amazing and exceptional things all over the place... Writing an entire state off as "nothing exceptional" is greatly unfair IMO.

In the end, I will concede on the CoL - I won't ignore that point because it has merits and people do move just for that reason alone. I think those are the people who are most likely to "hate it" and move back - as you do hear about often.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I repped you and agree for the most part, but the last part I have to say it depends with regard to NC as a whole... If you're generalizing (and it seems you are), the STATE has beaches, mountains, lakes, etc. Seriously everyone makes all these comments about LI beaches like they think NC is landlocked and never heard of the outer banks. Mountains... ever look it up? I guess these are areas that you would not likely travel to if you're visiting Charlotte or Raleigh, but areas that are very reasonable to get to for a day trip - lake access can be even closer. It's not a shot down the RM causeway or William Floyd for everyone in NC, granted. I'm not saying it is, but I found myself doing that so rarely anyway it didn't matter that it takes longer to "get there" now... Maybe that is what you mean by being "used to having nothing exceptional"? I wasn't sure. But this country (not just NC or LI) offers amazing and exceptional things all over the place... Writing an entire state off as "nothing exceptional" is greatly unfair IMO.

In the end, I will concede on the CoL - I won't ignore that point because it has merits and people do move just for that reason alone. I think those are the people who are most likely to "hate it" and move back - as you do hear about often.
I've been through the western part of NC and VA and I love it, but very few people from Long Island move into the mountains. They move to Raleigh-Durham or Charlotte or maybe Wilmington. They tend to move into suburban cookie-cutter developments in those areas, in which case they are moving to nothing exceptional.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:05 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
I was at a barbeque two summers ago, where a couple sold their LI house and moved to NC. They were there one week and hated it. They especially didn't like the school system. With that, they immediately moved back. It took them a while to find a house, but NC wasn't for them. Other people I know love NC. It's all a matter of (IMO) wanting a simpler way of life and getting out of the LI rat race.
Sounds like they did a lot of research and really gave it a chance once they were there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island