Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 09:34 AM

189 posts, read 631,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Because I was the one saying I hate non-residents and agree with the town overcharging to prevent them from coming on public beaches.

Riiiiiight...
uh... no. you called it a crappy beach.

if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all, but you seem like you are a snob, so oh well.. you can't help it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 09:35 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,949,469 times
It's okay for the city to charge an arm and a leg to get on a beach but for the MTA to charge for constant service? NO!!!!

Old 07-09-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony314 View Post
but you seem like you are a snob, so oh well.. you can't help it.
Oh really?

Quote:
I live in Long Beach and I can answer this question - the beach is more crowded than ever and that's the problem. The 12 bucks is population control.

Ever since the LIRR cancelled most of the bus service from Freeport to Jones Beach, Long Beach has been really the only option for those who live in NYC.

I have to say, the beach must be at least 30% more crowded than last year on any given day - even when I come home after work on a week day. Residents pay $50 bucks which hasn't changed. To be honest, I wish the city would raise it to $15 for individuals - it's just way too crowded.

You can't have a free beaches in NY. They would get too crowded. We have too many people living here.

oh and they can't charge for boardwalk access - that would be impossible since a lot of buildings open up on to it. If you don't like the beach charge, then please go to another beach. It's that simple. Nobody is making you come to Long Beach.
Quote:
Good. Please don't come here than. I beg you not to come here ever again. In fact, Please tell everybody that Long Beach is crappy so less and less people come here. I hate you non-residents. You don't even know how to swim in the ocean.
(I guess this is in reference to the people who DIED on the beach? That's pretty shallow, man.. crappy thing to say)

Quote:
I write a Long Beach blog and I get a lot of tips from residents and local government. That is the main reason for the $2 raise from last year. The beach is just way too crowded from the NYC overflow. If you notice, Jones Beach visits have been down because of the lack of public transportation due to the MTA cuts.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:46 AM

I saw a LB Parking Enforcement SUV driving on the boardwalk yesterday.

Talk about waste of city funds.

Guess they have to use that exorbitant amount of money they are getting from the beach somehow.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:15 AM

2,942 posts, read 5,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
New York is the only place I've been to in the US where you have to pay to go to the beach.

Some towns in NJ have the same policy - beach tag or you get ticketed.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:38 AM

87 posts, read 174,245 times
Quote:
I live in Long Beach and I can answer this question - the beach is more crowded than ever and that's the problem. The 12 bucks is population control.

Ever since the LIRR cancelled most of the bus service from Freeport to Jones Beach, Long Beach has been really the only option for those who live in NYC.

I have to say, the beach must be at least 30% more crowded than last year on any given day - even when I come home after work on a week day. Residents pay $50 bucks which hasn't changed. To be honest, I wish the city would raise it to $15 for individuals - it's just way too crowded.

You can't have a free beaches in NY. They would get too crowded. We have too many people living here.

oh and they can't charge for boardwalk access - that would be impossible since a lot of buildings open up on to it. If you don't like the beach charge, then please go to another beach. It's that simple. Nobody is making you come to Long Beach.
Anthony, guess you weren't around back in the day, it's not population control, but selfishness and greed - high pricing to keep out the non-residents and $50 bucks for locals who already pay taxes.

Anyone remember SkeeBall, Fasicination, the rides at Edwards, kinish,ice cream and hot dog stands, etc. Today all you got is an evening stroll on the boards.
Long Beach had a healthy seaside/boardwalk business district from it's beginnings to the late 60's. 1970 saw the price for beach access
go from 50 cents a head to $5 per on the weekends. Long Beaches goal was to close down all boardwalk business to make way for the push to develope the beachfront into multi unit apartments as it is today.

No more tax paying business on the boards, over-pricing beach access to out of towners and higher property taxes has made Long Beach the city it is today.

BTW, Anthony, I'm a 1965 LBHS grad, my mom graduated LBHS in 1942

Old 07-10-2010, 10:23 AM

82 posts, read 219,440 times
If no one from out of town came to the beach, you would hear all the local businesses crying. So stop the bs Anthony. You need these people.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:29 PM

19,100 posts, read 16,901,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Really? I haven't seen them in Florida, but I haven't been to FL in a few years. I know for a fact that VA does not charge.

No we don't but I remember having to pay in NJ...

Old 07-10-2010, 04:43 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,439,490 times
I'd rather pay $12 to get on a beach than go to a free one where all the riff raff can take a $1.50 bus ride to and get in for free.

I'm not one who goes to the beach often but when I do go, I want a place that's clean, peaceful, and not jam packed and I will gladly open my wallet to do so.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:51 AM

15 posts, read 65,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickylobster View Post
Anthony, guess you weren't around back in the day, it's not population control, but selfishness and greed - high pricing to keep out the non-residents and $50 bucks for locals who already pay taxes.

Anyone remember SkeeBall, Fasicination, the rides at Edwards, kinish,ice cream and hot dog stands, etc. Today all you got is an evening stroll on the boards.
Long Beach had a healthy seaside/boardwalk business district from it's beginnings to the late 60's. 1970 saw the price for beach access
go from 50 cents a head to $5 per on the weekends. Long Beaches goal was to close down all boardwalk business to make way for the push to develope the beachfront into multi unit apartments as it is today.

No more tax paying business on the boards, over-pricing beach access to out of towners and higher property taxes has made Long Beach the city it is today.

BTW, Anthony, I'm a 1965 LBHS grad, my mom graduated LBHS in 1942
yes, i do remember the boardwalk when it was fun... seidells, faber's fascination, the rides at edwards and izzy's knishes.... and jumping off the boardwalk at neptune (where the sand was high enough that i only thought i wouldn't get hurt when i hit) to get on the beach for free. this has been a debate since they started charging in the 50's (we didn't have to pay when i was very young so i'm not sure what year it started) to get on the beach. as kids, we couldn't wait for labor day when we got our beaches "back" again from the tourists and summer rentals. if you know anything about long beach you know that it's politics have always been filled with corruption with some really bad decision making to boot. as dickeylobster so correctly states here they ripped down the reasons for most people to come to long beach for a day or weekend. there were no hotels/motels in town until last year when the boardwalk was filled with them when we were kids. it's pretty sad when you have to have your high school reunion in rockville center because the damned town has no freaking hotel. can we all say "stupid"? it's taken the town from the 70's until relatively recently to recover from all those bad political decisions. then again i remember the local price for a resident beach pass being $25 in the 60's...so double that doesn't seem that high actually. try finding a house, car or anything that's only double what you paid in the 60's. i have since lived on beaches in both florida and california. except for the surf in front of the azores not comparing to the surf at malibu, i 'd say that long beach still has the nicer beach, but maybe i'm just hometown prejudiced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island