Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote to consolidate LI school districs for a 50% tax reduction?
Yes- The tax burden needs to be reduced 66 74.16%
No- Our schools are too important, I'll pay the extra taxes 23 25.84%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:16 PM

532 posts, read 1,265,751 times

Advertisements

With all the threads pertaining to LI's high taxes. And all of the threads debating the merit of spending the majority of our tax money on schools. Without descdending in to another debate over cops and teacher salaries, would you support a consolidation of school districts to reel in costs and lower taxes?

The cost of administering 127 independent school districts on LI is an enormous expense. Consolidation would drop the cost and associated tax burden dramatically.

As passionate as people on this board are about tax relief, folks are equally if not more myopic about keeping their districts intact. Especially if they live in a district with good schools.

I ask the question, would you approve of consolidating LI school districts if it meant a 50% reduction to your tax bill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 12:24 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,674,589 times
Many things need to be consolidated on long Island including Fire Depts and water Districts. It's time Nassau and Suffolk stop acting like small town America and see that they are a giant metropolis needing more centralized control and administration

Old 07-09-2010, 12:40 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,634,357 times
No.
Consolidation would not change the three legislative issues at the root of soaring school budgets - Taylor Law, Contingency Law and pension funding requierements.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:05 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,062,862 times
All Long Island school and fire departments should be consolidated into township level school districts and fire departments. A single county fire department or school district would lead to another version of the Suffolk County Police which we don't want. Township level would at least allow for some local involvement. Meaning Suffolk County would have 10 school districts and 10 fire departments.

The FDs would also be x% career and x% volunteer, and would include EMS as well as Fire (meaning no more independent ambulance companies). Volunteers would not be allowed to hold command ranks, meaning all ranks would be held by career firefighters/EMTs/Paramedics via civil service exams. Rank structures should also be revised and simplified (ex. not having 5+ chiefs per department as is the current case).

Old 07-09-2010, 01:15 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,970,372 times
I wonder where the "50% reduction" number came from... Is that a guess or did you do some fancy accounting?

Old 07-09-2010, 01:27 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,559,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
All Long Island school and fire departments should be consolidated into township level school districts and fire departments.
Except that there are no townships on "Lawn Guyland".

I know this because there are no townships in New York State and "Lawn Guyland" is still part of New York State.

NYS Geographic Glossary may be of some help in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

"Lawn Guyland" = part of Long Island not within the jurisdiction of New York City.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:53 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,658,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Except that there are no townships on "Lawn Guyland".
Walter, what is the difference between a Town, and a Township?

I know in NYS its Town of Whatever, and places like Noo Joisey its Whatever Township.

I never really thought there was a difference.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:05 PM

532 posts, read 1,265,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I wonder where the "50% reduction" number came from... Is that a guess or did you do some fancy accounting?
Let me clarify so we don't get wrapped around the axle. The 50% number is arbitrary. This is completely a "what if" scenario.

I don't want to get in to a debate of what the actual savings would be, just to encourage thought and discussion on if people would be willing to give up the boutique schools structure on LI to bring taxes down to a reasonable level.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:24 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,559,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
Walter, what is the difference between a Town, and a Township?
In many cases, there is no difference between what New York refers to as a town and what other states refer to as a township; however, there are states where a township can not be further sub-divided into other municipalities while in New York State towns can be sub-divided into villages, which themselves are municipal corporations.

This also opens the door to the difference between a village in New York State and, what are referred to as, villages in other states. In New York State, a village is a municipal corporation, while in most other states, a village is the downtown commercial area, akin to the colloquial Huntington Village, but is not a municipal corporation, just like Huntington Village is not a municipal corporation.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:33 PM

1,724 posts, read 4,014,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
In many cases, there is no difference between what New York refers to as a town and what other states refer to as a township; however, there are states where a township can not be further sub-divided into other municipalities while in New York State towns can be sub-divided into villages, which themselves are municipal corporations.

This also opens the door to the difference between a village in New York State and, what are referred to as, villages in other states. In New York State, a village is a municipal corporation, while in most other states, a village is the downtown commercial area, akin to the colloquial Huntington Village, but is not a municipal corporation, just like Huntington Village is not a municipal corporation.
Now that we have that out of the way......

I cannot make a decision on a move like that without seeing how it would work. However, I don't think it would or should happen beyond an administrative level. If I wanted my kids to have to commute 15 or 20 miles to a school and have classmates from all over, I would move to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island