Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:24 AM

79 posts, read 290,083 times

Advertisements

Majority of Naples is retirees and wealthy people. I believe your referring to the Fort myers area about 30 miles north of us. They were hit very hard, and were mostly a service/construction based economy. Our Naples economy is mostly international tourism, which has a different demographic. The plus side to it all is that, one can benefit from the positive effects of our type of economy, while at the same time enjoy a lowered cost of living such a high quality of life. Life 5 years ago was triple what it costs now. Although if you were in the area 30 miles north, houses went from 300k to 60k...while our homes went from 1 million to 300k-400ks.

All that I would like to say is that most people I talk to on long island, never take vacations anywhere because they cant afford it, they tought the quality of schools..which is not the real case...what they mean by good schools is that they are all white schools.. and this is a big deal becuase its so close to NYC...

I have to admit though many Long Islanders have the island bubble effect that they believe its wonderful there and everywhere is less than LI...

This is not the case... only those who venture out for a few years .... mostly never come back...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 11:21 AM

278 posts, read 656,127 times
Born and raised on LI. Moved to Portland Maine 10 years ago to raise a family. Would NEVER move back to LI.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:34 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim7578 View Post
All that I would like to say is that most people I talk to on long island, never take vacations anywhere because they cant afford it, they tought the quality of schools..which is not the real case...what they mean by good schools is that they are all white schools.. and this is a big deal becuase its so close to NYC...

I have to admit though many Long Islanders have the island bubble effect that they believe its wonderful there and everywhere is less than LI...

This is not the case... only those who venture out for a few years .... mostly never come back...
Stop! You're spouting too much reality!

Old 07-14-2010, 01:22 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis View Post
Ironic use of the word cyberbully, considering how he used to mock and ridicule people who want to leave LI by saying they couldn't make it here....when UNTIL HIS WIFE GOT A TEACHING JOB he was looking to leave as well.

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ml#post1591885
wow.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:54 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker516 View Post
Im seriously thinking of this, does anyone think to form a group to research livable places away from the eastern seaboard and overseas?

Ive travelled a bit and I know there are happier people elsewhere.
So has anyone offered to join your exploratory committee? The overseas aspect does look interesting. Are there any countries on your short list?

(I am not "through" with LI, so not me.)

Old 07-14-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis View Post
Ironic use of the word cyberbully, considering how he used to mock and ridicule people who want to leave LI by saying they couldn't make it here....when UNTIL HIS WIFE GOT A TEACHING JOB he was looking to leave as well.

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ml#post1591885
It appears that crooks has mellowed out considerably since then.

He used to frequently "mock and ridicule" where I live but I finally set him straight that it's not such a terrible place after all.

I suppose others on here with a longer memory than me have been socking it to him about Rocky Point in retaliation.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim7578 View Post
I would like to chime in here...

My wife and I left Long island in 2003...we are both college educated with Master degrees and wanted to raise a family in a true middle class way... We were in our mmid 20s... We moved to Florida, Naples. Everyone told us the schools were horrible in Florida.... We found that this was not reality. Everone who is here understands before Floridas population jumped in the late 90s, yes the schools were less evolved. Things have changed.....

The standard of living here is higher than on Long island. We have very high quality homes that would cost a million in NY, although they go for about 200k-500k here with low taxes.. Wonderful beaches, fishing, cities like Miami. Currently there is a very large influx of international wealth from asia and europe, while at the same time there is a mass exodus of illegal immigrants back to there home countries becuase of increased enforcements and lack of low skill labor demand.
Then why are you "relocating your family to Washington" if Naples, FL is all that (and the proverbial bag of chips)?

Old 07-14-2010, 03:40 PM

791 posts, read 1,433,735 times
Default I'm soon to be unemployed

But I don't respond to any jobs on Long Island.

Circumstances have landed me there a few times...on the splinter in the toe of the USA. Never went there by choice.

I HATE IT. IT SUCKS! NEVER NEVER GOING BACK!

Old 07-14-2010, 09:47 PM

239 posts, read 612,328 times
I left. They weren't hiring in Florida, so I'm in New Orleans!
My case is unusual. I left a very secure position as a tenured LI teacher and have taken a massive cut both in salary and benefits. However, I'm in agreement with those who see a better quality of life outside of Long Island and anyone who's familiar with S(easonal) A(ffective) D(isorder) knows the only real cure is to be as close to the equator as possible. I really, really like it here, but the pay here and in other places does reflect the lower cost of living, and I'm not of the age where I was able to save up a whole bunch of NY money and take it with me. I'm hoping I can make ends meet (but I was struggling with that on Long Island anyway). I've only been here for a few weeks and haven't even started work yet, so the only insight I have so far is: there is 'culture' outside of the NY metro area. It's different and might not be for everyone, but Long Island is not the be-all-end-all.
I think travel is so important for young people who live on Long Island. I really had that attitude where I believed I wouldn't be able to tolerate any other lifestyle until I met my fiance who has always been a bit of a nomad and who gave me the courage to explore a bit more of the country. I wondered as do so many others: everything one needs is on Long Island; why go anywhere else? Well, I think anyone who has the slightest inkling of dissatisfaction with the status quo and the means to do so should explore other places.
I hold Long Island very close to my heart. I spent 30 years there and I'll definitely be visiting, but it's no longer the only thing I know which seems to be the case for so very many of my friends and acquaintances. (I'm not so sure that's the case on C-D since so many members seem to be here solely to question the status quo)!

Old 07-16-2010, 08:35 PM

18 posts, read 32,659 times
My husband and I both grew up on Long Island and after leaving for career opportunities, our desire was to always move back to be closer to our families. However, after living in the midwest, we have decided to stay here. It seems sad that when someone lives and dies in the same area, they miss out on adjusting and experiencing different ways of communicating with others. There has and will always be a false sense of regal attitude from New Yorkers that borders on craziness. We are native New Yorkers and I remember thinking that NY is #1 and snubbed all the Jersey people at six flags great adventure at the tender age of 7. What kool-aide was I drinking??? However, I still find it to be true amoungst many Long Isanders when we go home to visit. And the sad truth is that most Long Islanders do not venture past NJ, Vegas or Fl. and perhaps some tropical beach somewhere. It is sad that most people from LI need subtitles to understand them and the attitude is absolutely maddening. We were driving on the LIE to visit our parents and some guy threw his baseball bat at another car out of road rage. There just seems to be too little space for too many people and the competition and ANGER becomes contagious. People in NY just seem to want to fight???? I'll take the midwest hospitality, glacier formed freshwater lakes everywhere, parks galore and friendly people anyday over that hostile environment...

Last edited by 22cedars; 07-16-2010 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: However I do miss the pizza....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island