U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-14-2010, 10:21 AM
 
180 posts, read 280,934 times
Reputation: 95

Advertisements

Hi; selling a car for the first time. My questions are mostly related to a particular site that gave information on what to do in selling a car. I'll bullet them:
  1. What should I use for a bill of sale? Is it necessary?
  2. Is Form DTF-802 necessary, related to proof of purchase price?
  3. Must the license plates be turned into the DMV, as one site implies for NY, or they can be transferred?
  4. What do I have to do for the new owner so that they can drive the car legally when I hand them the keys?
I may have more questions later. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2010, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Babylon Village
176 posts, read 448,879 times
Reputation: 37
I don't have all the answers but I can answer a couple:
1) a piece of paper signed by both buyer and seller is necessary (2 pieces) states the sales price and VIN#, miles, etc. A clean title will have to be given to the buyer upon sale completion. I am not sure if DMV uses bills of sales anymore but it is a receipt so it is good to have nayway.
2) no idea
3)it is much easier to return your plates and re-register the new car I believe so I would say yes.
4)It is best to just drive the car (while it is still registered and insured by you) to ther drivers place of residence and drop the car off. Then you take your registration and plates and wave goodbye with your cash in hand....do not accept personal checks just bank checks or cash.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2010, 10:58 AM
 
3,686 posts, read 8,275,144 times
Reputation: 1801
Just a little addition to the answer above for question 4. SCRAPE the registration sticker off your car window. Do not leave it with the new owner.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2010, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Long Island
9,703 posts, read 21,548,294 times
Reputation: 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabrera7 View Post

3) your plates

4) do not accept personal checks just bank checks or cash.
DO return your plates - the receipt you get from the DMV will serve as proof that you no longer own the car, which you will need for the insurance company; they won't stop "the clock" until you show proof you no longer own it.

Even bank checks are not 100% foolproof - I know of someone who thought all was well, but when they deposited the bank check, it turned out to be fictitious. My recommendation: CASH ONLY
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2010, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Long Island
9,703 posts, read 21,548,294 times
Reputation: 5495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Just a little addition to the answer above for question 4. SCRAPE the registration sticker off your car window. Do not leave it with the new owner.
Great advice! Reps to you
I learned the hard way Left it on the car and started to get NYC parking violation notices! (Had never taken the car into the City
Took a long time to prove that I was not the culprit because I had sold the car WAY before the parking violations occurred.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2010, 04:45 PM
 
180 posts, read 280,934 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabrera7 View Post
I don't have all the answers but I can answer a couple:
1) a piece of paper signed by both buyer and seller is necessary (2 pieces) states the sales price and VIN#, miles, etc. A clean title will have to be given to the buyer upon sale completion. I am not sure if DMV uses bills of sales anymore but it is a receipt so it is good to have nayway.
2) no idea
3)it is much easier to return your plates and re-register the new car I believe so I would say yes.
4)It is best to just drive the car (while it is still registered and insured by you) to ther drivers place of residence and drop the car off. Then you take your registration and plates and wave goodbye with your cash in hand....do not accept personal checks just bank checks or cash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
DO return your plates - the receipt you get from the DMV will serve as proof that you no longer own the car, which you will need for the insurance company; they won't stop "the clock" until you show proof you no longer own it.

Even bank checks are not 100% foolproof - I know of someone who thought all was well, but when they deposited the bank check, it turned out to be fictitious. My recommendation: CASH ONLY
Where can I obtain a "bill of sale" document? Why would anyone only transfer plates if it doesn't remove insurance requirements on the former car? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2010, 05:31 PM
 
3,939 posts, read 8,528,818 times
Reputation: 1512
all you need for a bill of sale is both parties' names, the VIN/car description (i.e. year make model), price (this is what the buyer will pay tax on when going to register), and signatures. I'd take a copy of their driver's license as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2010, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Suffolk
570 posts, read 1,139,555 times
Reputation: 313
Go to the NYSDMV website and they will have all the info you need there. And you can print out any forms you might need as well.

Bill of Sale can be on any piece of paper. DMV wants it for tax purposes for the buyer. Make sure date, sale price, VIN, signatures of you and buyer are on it.

Turn in your plates - you can get a refund of any "unused" registration fees. Scrape off your sticker. Cancel the insurance on it after the sale. You will have to turn in the receipt from DMV to your insurance co after you hand over your plates.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2010, 06:05 PM
 
109 posts, read 231,457 times
Reputation: 118
- Scrape off all stickers (Registration/Inspection)
- Turn in plates, especially before you cancel you insurance. DMV will suspend your license if you cancel insurance and keep plates.
- Bill of sale is mainly for new owner (sales tax), nothing wrong with two copies
- Photocopy/good cell phone photo of the clean title after the new owner signs it/odometer - Do not leave it blank or take no for an answer !
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top