Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2010, 03:16 PM

629 posts, read 962,686 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I are in the market for a home in Nassau. We had focused our search on East Meadow, as it seemed to have a good amount of houses in our range (~$450k) with decent property sizes and good elementary/middle schools.

However, my recent searches in East Meadow are having me reconsider whether it is the best place for us. The main reason I say this is that it seems like $450k would put us pretty well off in East meadow (Of the 125 or so properties on the market right now on MLS, about 70 sell for less than $450k in East Meadow and I'm thinking prices may go down further)

I'm starting to get concerned about having one of the better houses in the neighborhood (since it seems $450k would do well here), since we would not likely do as well when it came time to sell.

So I guess i have two questions -
1. What are some good areas in Nassau county (preferably North shore) that I'd do well with a $450k house that'd likely appreciate well but perhaps could use a little work
2. Is my thought process flawed regarding East Meadow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 03:22 PM

537 posts, read 1,448,253 times
Avoid East Meadow at 450k. Try to find a fixer-uper in Plainview, Old Bethpage, Syosset (unlikely).

Old 07-17-2010, 03:38 PM

217 posts, read 573,490 times
I wouldn't recommend East Meadow, either.

If you're looking for North Shore NC, I'd try Roslyn, Port Washington, Manhasset, and Plandome. While these neighborhoods have some very expensive homes, you may be able to get lucky finding a nice fixer upper. I know someone who recently purchased a home within your price range in Roslyn Heights.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:46 PM

I should clarify a bit - I'm not looking for a complete fixer upper, but rather, something that is in decent move in condition, but perhaps has a dated (but usable) kitchen that I'd then redo in a few years, for example.

New Hyde Park is one area that seems to fit this. I'd think that Roslyn or Syosset in my range would just need way too much work.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:33 PM

75 posts, read 292,595 times
Default Plainview

Prices in Plainview have really come down in the past 6 months. You can get a house you are describing in that price range.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:38 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
^ was about to say Plainview as well. We just bought in that price range and going to build up. It's pretty good condition as-is.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:58 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
I was also going to recommend Plainview and New Hyde Park While it is not north shore, you might also like Rockville Centre and Garden City south.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:13 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhkus View Post
New Hyde Park is one area that seems to fit this.
You should be aware that New Hyde Park is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places that have the community name in their mailing address (3,339 acres) are not in the village (531 acres):

Places that have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address that are not in the Village of New Hyde Park are in the Village of Lake Success, the Hamlet of Manhasset, the Village of North Hills, the Hamlet of Manhasset Hills, the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park, the Hamlet of Herricks, the Hamlet of Garden City Park and the Village of Garden City.

ruhkus, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 07-17-2010, 10:59 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,834 times
What are your other needs and wants, before I answer that?

And honestly I cannot see ANYWHERE on the North shore that you could even get a fixer upper for 450, no way.

Maybe central like New Hyde Park or Floral Park Village (Nassau) or Franklin Square.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:11 PM

Yeah, I mean more north and central - central really, as I've lived in places such as Bellerose and New Hyde Park in the past, so that's the areas I know.

My main need really is decent space. I live in a co-op now and I'm sick of seeing all these 30x100 properties with tiny kitchens in Queens. I'd like at least a 50x100 land, with a nice eat-in kitchen and ideally decent sized bedrooms. However, the bedroom thing seems to bit hit and miss, since areas like NHP don't necessary have great size bedrooms, from what I've seen.

Diversity would be nice, but I hesitate to even say that based on some of the stuff I've read on these forums.

We saw a few houses in Plainview today and there are a few that are potentially good that could perhaps be had for $475k or so. I'll continue to look there, since there seem to be a ton of houses in that area on the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island