Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 05:09 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,670,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I live in town of Riverhead but I pay taxes for SWR SD which is in the Town of Brookhaven.
The Shoreham-Wading River Central School District serves an area in the Town of Brookhaven and in the Town of Riverhead.

A map of the Shoreham-Wading River Central School District:

Old 07-18-2010, 05:26 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
I've lived on both, and in not so great places on the south shore and I'd still take it hands down.

I've never seen that issue on the south shore where I am or either I'm really hard of hearing or my neighbors just don't have sex.

ROFLMAO!!! THe homes just appear to be more Queens like especially on Nassau's South Shore. On the North Shore homes tend to have more property and it might be due to the hills and natural topography. I grew up in Hauppauge, though not part of the North Shore its topography was North Shore like. Homes had much bigger lots than homes in Bohemia, while not on the South Shore but had a typical South Shore layout.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:32 PM

893 posts, read 2,862,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
ROFLMAO!!! THe homes just appear to be more Queens like especially on Nassau's South Shore. On the North Shore homes tend to have more property and it might be due to the hills and natural topography. I grew up in Hauppauge, though not part of the North Shore its topography was North Shore like. Homes had much bigger lots than homes in Bohemia, while not on the South Shore but had a typical South Shore layout.
True houses on the South Shore are way closer together than houses on the North Shore. Also the South Shore has a lot of Cape's and Split Levels.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:59 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,190,475 times
Agree'd with North Shore being superior over the Sounth Shore. The S.S. is pine tree's and sand. The N.S. is green and hilly. The ONLY thing the S.S. has over the N.S. is the ocean. The N.S. has the sound. It's like a salt water lake.

Other then that North and South shores are 2 different worlds..

Old 07-19-2010, 07:15 AM

122 posts, read 390,827 times
Quote:

2. It's laughably easier to get around on the south shore.
Yes! Driving around South Shore is easier, and accessing main highways is much easier. I also find it easier and safer to ride my bicycle.

Also, ditto on the ocean beaches.

The North Shore has better shopping, however.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:39 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Grew up on the south shore, moved around on the south shore. Purchased on the north shore.

While everyone cites the ocean beaches, which are delightful, they fail to note that most people on the south shore have to drive to them. It's just a matter of a shorter distance in the car. Living on the Great South Bay is nice; however it is a much smaller area to boat as opposed to the Sound.

The south shore is fairly congested and has many developments. Some areas on the north shore suffer from that same poor planning, but not nearly as many.

The north shore has a little more variety in housing stock from historic to new, however there are some older south shore communities (primarily Suffolk) where older ( > 100 years) homes are cherished and not bulldozed the way they are on the south shore in Nassau.

I prefer the north shore and opted to live in a place with historic homes and a New England vibe.
If I were more of a beach/bay person, I would have picked Babylon Village, Sayville or somewhere similar as they also have a nice mix of older homes.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:10 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
can someone describe where the scenic routes are on the north shore? Hardly ever been...

Old 07-20-2010, 09:14 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,022 times
Sound Ave. all the way. When you get to East Marion stop for some Gyros and turn around.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:48 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Quote:
Sound Ave. all the way. When you get to East Marion stop for some Gyros and turn around.
I am going to amend that to pick up take out Gyros, continue east over the spit where water is at either side of the road, head to Orient Beach park (as long as it wasn't closed by the state) and enjoy a Gyro picnic lunch
overlooking Gardiners Bay.

Another ride I love is head out on Sound into Greenport, eat at Claudios, take the North ferry to Shelter Island, cruise about SI and then take the South ferry to Sag Harbor, meandering home along the south fork and hitting 495 at Riverhead.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:00 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
^ thx but anything a bit closer to the nassau/suffolk border as far as north shore scenery?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island