Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 05:39 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
And I'm more the type that would not like to live in a woodsy area with country critters skulking around my yard ... deer, rabbits, black bears (PA and NNJ exurbs), coyotes (now in suburbs north of NYC) ... the occasional raccoon or opossum in VS is quite enough for me!
OK, not-quite-city-mouse-but-close-enough We have rabbits, oppossum, raccoons, chipmunks, moles, voles, bats, rats, red fox and the occasional deer, but no black bear or coyotes. (Even we country mice fear them!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 07:39 PM

20,021 posts, read 20,822,731 times
Park Drive drove me crazy for about 15 minutes...I have a commercial vehicle...no parkways...drove around the block half dozen times trying to figure out how to get onto Park Drive until I stupidly, and finally, saw the little sign at the entance ramp to the SS that said "Park Drive". Duh. Beautiful block though. I was about to go the wrong way down the street on my final attempt until I saw the sign BTW...

Old 08-05-2010, 10:43 PM

113 posts, read 317,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Take a ride through Green Acres Mall and see why people think VS is comparable to a crappy part of Queens.

I'm afraid, but I am going to have to agree with you on this. Alot of people I know that are not from the surrounding Valley Stream area consider Green Acres mall representative of the entire Valley Stream town. It is very unfortunate but it is very true. The Black Friday Walmart fiasco did not exactly help that image either. As I said in another post, most of the patrons that go to Green Acres mall are not even from the area (with the exception of the teens) and some are as far out as Brooklyn. My belief is that Merrick Road is more representative of Valley Stream than Sunrise Highway.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:12 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtracey View Post
I'm afraid, but I am going to have to agree with you on this. Alot of people I know that are not from the surrounding Valley Stream area consider Green Acres mall representative of the entire Valley Stream town. It is very unfortunate but it is very true. The Black Friday Walmart fiasco did not exactly help that image either. As I said in another post, most of the patrons that go to Green Acres mall are not even from the area (with the exception of the teens) and some are as far out as Brooklyn. My belief is that Merrick Road is more representative of Valley Stream than Sunrise Highway.
Merrick Road is also just a big commercial district with no private homes on it.

I think the Village Green/library/Village Hall area is representative of the character of Valley Stream (along West Valley Stream Boulevard between Central Avenue and Hicks Street).

Old 08-06-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
OK, not-quite-city-mouse-but-close-enough We have rabbits, oppossum, raccoons, chipmunks, moles, voles, bats, rats, red fox and the occasional deer, but no black bear or coyotes. (Even we country mice fear them!)
The only time I saw bats in their natural habitat was at Carlsbad Caverns, NM.

If I saw one flying around my yard, I'd faint!

Old 08-06-2010, 02:45 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtracey View Post

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing but I fail to understand how a regional mall or highway can represent the community. The village green, downtown shopping district and homes are better parameters of a town. I would never equate Lynbrook by that crappy area near White Castle and it's been like that since the 80's. What about Sunrise Mall, kinda second rate, trashy, no where near the appeal of Walt Whitman or even the Broadway mall. The "Massapequa area" is way more appealing than its Mall.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing but I fail to understand how a regional mall or highway can represent the community. The village green, downtown shopping district and homes are better parameters of a town. I would never equate Lynbrook by that crappy area near White Castle and it's been like that since the 80's. What about Sunrise Mall, kinda second rate, trashy, no where near the appeal of Walt Whitman or even the Broadway mall. The "Massapequa area" is way more appealing than its Mall.
The answer to your question beats me!

This is the ignorance people who live in Valley Stream put up with.

There was also a time when the Green Acres Mall (and Valley Stream by association of course) was deemed a car theft hotspot and of course, "blacks from Queens" had to be to blame! All these cars were being reported as stolen! So insurance companies and the Nassau DA's office got together and investigated and guess what? While there was some car theft, a lot of it was actually INSURANCE FRAUD. Many people ("whites from Nassau") were arrested for insurance fraud.

Another blanket condemnation of Valley Stream (often made by people who have never even been here) is "it's ugly and just like Queens" (meaning the dumpy areas of Queens with no trees visible for miles and Archie Bunker row houses on tiny plots of property where you can reach out your window and into your neighbor's window). I hope the pics I posted in this thread has at least dispelled that notion for the readers here.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
The only time I saw bats in their natural habitat was at Carlsbad Caverns, NM.

If I saw one flying around my yard, I'd faint!

Don't come to Wading River at night, plenty of bats here.

However, I'd be more concern about the Deer at night out here. I may be wrong but it seems that there have been more dislocated Deer at night out here since the Rocky Point bypass and increase housing developments in the pine barrens. Then again it could be many other reasons but you don't want one of those hitting your car.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
The answer to your question beats me!

This is the ignorance people who live in Valley Stream put up with.

There was also a time when the Green Acres Mall .

This is way off point but does the name of this mall have anything to do with the TV show from the 60's? I assume the mall came first but are there any connections (other than the name) between the two?

Old 08-06-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
This is way off point but does the name of this mall have anything to do with the TV show from the 60's? I assume the mall came first but are there any connections (other than the name) between the two?
Green Acres Mall was built in 1956. The TV show premiered in 1965. The show's name was the name of the farm the main characters lived on as per Green Acres - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island