Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 02:28 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,953 times

Advertisements

Those pictures are typical of what I envision of Valley Stream and that whole area along Sunrise and Peninsula Blvd. The VS, Lynbrook, RVC area has a more diverse housing stock, not "Queens like" at all nor is it loolalike homes, typical of Levittown.

BTW, what's so bad about Queens? Have you been to Bayside, Cambria Heights, Whitestone or Douglaston? Those areas would put to shame many towns in Nassau or Suffolk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 02:34 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Those pictures are typical of what I envision of Valley Stream and that whole area along Sunrise and Peninsula Blvd. The VS, Lynbrook, RVC area has a more diverse housing stock, not "Queens like" at all nor is it loolalike homes, typical of Levittown.

BTW, what's so bad about Queens? Have you been to Bayside, Cambria Heights, Whitestone or Douglaston? Those areas would put to shame many towns in Nassau or Suffolk.
Personally, I like many parts of Queens! It's just that so many other LI'ers consider it a diss on a community to call it "Queens-like" or "an extension of Queens." I don't! As a matter of fact, if the real estate taxes get too bad on LI, I may end up there.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:51 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
All I am trying to show is that Valley Stream has some nice homes and it's not just tiny and boring "Archie Bunker" houses with barely any space in between them ... which is what people on LI tend to envison when "houses and lots just like in Queens" are mentioned ...

The pics are real and not "false front" movie scenery murals propped up in front of them!

Not all pics are realtor pics of homes. The top 4 pics are of parks in the area.
Take a ride through Green Acres Mall and see why people think VS is comparable to a crappy part of Queens.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:54 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Take a ride through Green Acres Mall and see why people think VS is comparable to a crappy part of Queens.
Green Acres Mall is in the Hamlet of South Valley Stream, not in the Village of Valley Stream.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
The mall is not in the center of town, you know!

It is off by itself on the western-most border of South Valley Stream.

Shoppers in the mall do not even have to come into any part of "Valley Stream proper" ... they get into the mall on the Sunrise Highway entrances that are just to the east of the Queens border.

The mall itself does not represent Valley Stream. The mall itself also is not so "hideous." It is getting new stores constantly and is updated. I know someone who is part of the security team for the mall and he does not have any significant problems there and he does not have a problem with his wife shopping there or parking the car there. I go there all the time and never have a problem either. There is no reason to waste gas and time and go elsewhere if I can find it at that mall.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:59 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The mall is not in the center of town, you know!

It is off by itself on the western-most border of Valley Stream.
Green Acres Mall is not in the Village of Valley Stream; it's in the Hamlet of South Valley Stream.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:

Roosevelt Field is in Garden City and I would never equate the chaos of that area to Garden City as a whole. Besides Green Acres sits on the border of Queens and Nassau and like RF mall on a major highway. I don't see it as the face of VS.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:01 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times
So.. what is the area up on Merrick Road, going towards the Belt? Because that's a pretty crappy area, too.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
So.. what is the area up on Merrick Road, going towards the Belt? Because that's a pretty crappy area, too.
Let me just agree with you and make you happy, okay?

The whole place should be bombed! It's awful! Awful! Awful!

I find it especially HILARIOUS to be debating this subject with someone who RENTS and lives like THIS (pictures included folks on the 2nd post!):

//www.city-data.com/forum/renti...long-read.html

LOL! Now who has room to be picky about VS when they are a RENTER and they live in THOSE conditions?

Severe need of updating ("Thermostat is broken.. isn't actually wired anywhere(!!), constant leak issues from the upstairs apartment's bathroom, a broken or clogged sump pump, lack of carpet in one room, etc."), several unregistered vehicles on the lawn, garbage strewn all over, "dime bags" with residue of mysterious white powder on the ground ... need I go on?

You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. -- Matthew 7.5

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 08-02-2010 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: Had to use my Bible quote yet again!

Old 08-02-2010, 03:08 PM

Before Walter gives me RF mall is in East Garden City not the village of Garden City. Its tax base helps lower the taxes for the residents of the Village of Garden City so it is part of Garden City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island