Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 12:26 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly10 View Post
I moved from LI to Los Angeles... then to Manhattan, then back to Long Island.

There are frequently posts here from people moving TO Long Island from lots of places.
1. You were already from LI
2. I have never seen anyone move here just because they heard it's an awesome place to live. If I've missed that post, I apologize, but people move here because they are getting a job here about 99% of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 12:30 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
Taxes
insurance
Furnishings
Maintenance/upkeep
heat
cooling
eating
replacing car
clothing
health insurance - health needs not covered by insurance
guaranteed in writing for increase in salary and no loss of job? GUARANTEED???

Old 07-29-2010, 07:06 PM

5 posts, read 6,301 times
If you truly need to receive a Pre-Approval letter send me a DM and I can assist you with the process.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:57 AM

398 posts, read 837,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
One other thought - consider buying a 2-family house when the time comes. You live in one half, and your renters live in the other, pay you rent, and cover most if not all of your mortgage. You'll be living there and will be able to keep an eye on them. The caveat of becoming a LL is choosing wisely who you rent to - bring along a trusted family member/friend who has been landlording a while to help you sort out prospective tenants.
In my thought process of how will I ever be a hoem owner, I've thought about finding a two family home in a nice neighborhood and purchasing with one of my siblings. Myself and and one of my sibling on the mortgage, but three or four paying towards the mortgage if we are with signifgant others/married.

The problem is finding good multi-family housing on long island.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:27 PM

225 posts, read 715,809 times
Zohan-

I'm pretty much in the same boat you're in...I'm still living at home and looking to move out already (I'm 25). I actually work in Manhattan and I'm hoping that by this time next year I'll have enough $$ to start looking for a condo, but not on LI. I could never afford to live here based on the taxes alone... If you work in the city, would you consider commuting from either Westchester/ Putnam County, CT or NJ?

I've been looking online for condos north of the city and there seems to be a handful of places that would fall into your price range, that I hear are in good areas. It's a bit of a longer commute, but it might be worth it since you're getting more home for you money... I also hear that CT has some real affordable places to, although I'm not looking to leave the state.

Check it out, and believe me, I know exactly how you feel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island