Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:27 AM

244 posts, read 540,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B.
Newsday has devoted a ton of ink to discussing high salaries/pensions found in the police departments, teachers unions, sewer districts, sanitation districts, and various town/county workers. In other words, there is no shortage of people with little love for Newsday.
I guess that explains it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
I don't like the fact that if you're not an Optimum customer you can't read their site for free, but I'm not about to stand on an overpass complaining.
If you're a Newsday subscriber, you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 08:35 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krewat View Post
If you're a Newsday subscriber, you can.
I'm not. There are many other news sites I can read from, Newsday is just convenient. Not worth a subscription, tbh

Old 08-03-2010, 10:21 AM

270 posts, read 964,509 times
Now it all makes sense!! I'm glad someone found an article about it. At least now we know his story and what his sign means, and that there is a reason for him standing in that particular spot.

Even though i complained about him in the begining, I've gotten used to him now!

Old 08-03-2010, 10:33 AM

244 posts, read 540,344 times
To the original poster and the rest of the people irked by this guy, I suggest you send him 56 registered letters asking him to STOP.

When he doesn't, or doesn't reply, send him one final one, asking him "See how much registered letters help?"

Old 08-03-2010, 11:34 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Default All we need to know about Bob ...

... can be found in this quote:

Quote:
In October of 1994 Bob says he had his personal life turned upside down when his home was repeatedly broken into. He refers to these events as intrusions into his home, as nothing was stolen. ... After the first few intrusions he tried changing his locks however over the course of a few years the intrusions continued.
I am sure the police initially investigated and determined that there were no intrusions except in Bob's head.

My dime-store psychiatrist diagnosis is:

Persecutory-Type Delusional Disorder

Old 08-03-2010, 11:37 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times
Is that so?

Calling Doctor Howard, Doctor Fine, Doctor Howard....

Old 08-03-2010, 11:48 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Is that so?

Calling Doctor Howard, Doctor Fine, Doctor Howard....
I'm Dr. Curly ... nyuk! nyuk! nyuk!

PS: Please note my new Custom User Title.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:15 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,821,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
how is he creating a safety hazard any more than people hanging "WELCOME HOME (soldier)" signs on overpasses? Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it illegal.
The issue is that at 65, 55 or 10 MPH, he is creating a distraction that can cause drivers to loose concentration on the road by attempting to read his sign. That is the safety hazard. What is on his sign is not the issue. Not sure why you and others are not grasping this concept.

I didn't say I agree or disagree with his message, just that he is creating a safety hazard by putting the sign up and standing there which is a distraction to drivers. The choice of drivers of looking or not is not the question. You are blaming people for the crime of giving into the human nature characteristic of curiosity. Neither is his right to rail against Newsday or anyone else. The point is that this right is not absolute. It is the same as yelling fire in a crowded theater. Doing so puts lives at risk.

And the people hanging the welcome home signs are as almost as bad - their saving grace is that they aren't sticking around on the overpass after they hang their sign. By this token, it is OK to hang signs stating “Welcome home from prison Uncle Louie” or “My kid passed his 3rd grade spelling test”. Why would I care or want to see any spray painted bed sheets or card board signs creating this blight on the highway?

Old 08-03-2010, 01:25 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,288 times
I love the American flags on the overpasses in parts of Jersey on Rt 80. Does that count?

Old 08-03-2010, 01:30 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
he is creating a distraction that can cause drivers to loose concentration on the road by attempting to read his sign.
Do you lose total concentration when you drive past a highway sign telling you what roads are on the next exit, or do you eventually tune them out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island